12/17 Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Philadelphia 76ers.

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by B.e., Dec 16, 2004.

1. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

<div align="center">
    [​IMG]@[​IMG]
    <font color="Blue">New York Knicks</font>(11-11) <font color="DarkRed">Philadelphia 76ers</font>(9-12)

<font color="red">Place:Wachovia Center</font>
    <font color="red">Time: 7:00 PM </font>
    <font color="red">TV:NBALP,CSN</font></div>

<div align="center"> Probable Starters
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <font size="1">(PG Allen Iverson, SG Kyle Korver, SF Andre Iguodala, PF Kenny Thomas, C Samuel Dalembert)</font></div>

<div align="center">Probable Satrters
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <font size="1">(PG Stephon Marbury, SG Jamal Crawford, SF Tim Thomas, PF Kurt Thomas, C Nazr Mohammed)</font></div>

<font color="DarkRed">Philadelphia 76ers</font>
    <u>Keys to the Game</u>

The Sixers have won 3 straight games before losing 7 straight. Tonight they will be playing their divisional rivals the Knicks. Lately the Knicks have had the Sixers number, divisional games are always important and the Sixers need to win as much as they can win facing Atlantic division teams.

For the Sixers to win this game they are going to have to contain the Knicks backcourt, which have been hot of late. I expect Allen to try to bring it all against his rival Marbury, and I also expect JO to put Andre Iguodala to help containment on him.

The Sixers will also need to play well inside. Kenny Thomas and Samuel Dalembert will have to play big against Naz and Kurt Thomas because they have been playing good as of late also. Sammy and KT cant leave Thomas open on the perimeter because he will hit the 15-foot jumper with consistency.

You also can forget one of the Sixers' biggest weaknesses, perimeter defense. Players like Stephon Marbury, Jamal Crawford, and Allan Houston can all light it up from the outside.

The Sixers will need a player to contribute and bring energy to the game for the Sixers. Willie Green came off the bench against the Nuggets and brought energy, which lead to an 18-point come back. If we can get something strong from Green, Salmons, and Corliss, that would help them a lot.

<div align="center"><u><font color="blue"> Key Matchup</u></div></font>
    <div align="center">[​IMG][​IMG]</div>

Allen Iverson versus Stephon Marbury, these two very talented guards have been rivals since they were drafted together in the 1996 Draft.

Look for Allen to defend Philadelphia and come out trying to put Marbury to work. Allen has been kind of hot lately and Marbury hasn?t been bad either. If Allen wants to have a good game, he is going to have to get his teammates involved at the same time. At the same time expect Marbury to play well, the Knicks will be coming off a disappointing loss to the Pistons, which could have been easily won. Marbury therefore will be hungry for a W.

My Prediction: I expect this to be a hard fought game, and the Sixers usually have trouble against the Knicks. If Allen stays hot along with the rest of the Sixers I expect them to come out with a win.

2. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

I see Sixers winning this one,they're on a roll and Marc Jackson should give the Sixers a huge spark off the bench and now we have Corliss back too.
    Knicks are better in the backcourt thanks to Marbury-Crawford-Houston trio but I see Iguodala playing good defense on one of them.
    This one will go down the wire as Sixers prevail 103-98.
    Oh and KT vs KT will be very interesting matchup.

3. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

You have Marcus Camby's picture instead of what should be Nazr Mohammed...

This should be a well fought game, both teams are at equal sill level IMO, I am looking to see how Kover responds after 2 not so great games.

My Prediction: Sixers by 2, close game, somebody will hit a key shot [​IMG]

4. Erin

Erin JBB JustBBall Member

This is totalllllly offtopic but I think we should just, instead of having our probable lineup, add after the pictures of each player "BUT WHO THE HELL REALLY KNOWS!"

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I am have to disagree with you guys. The Knicks are a better team and have played very good basketball of late. That heartbreaker yesterday I think will only provide us witha spark to play a great game vs. the Sixers. I think the Knicks are simply the better team and will take it 98-90.

6. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Knicks are a better team and have played very good basketball of late. That heartbreaker yesterday I think will only provide us witha spark to play a great game vs. the Sixers. I think the Knicks are simply the better team and will take it 98-90.</div>

Agreed. The Knicks are indeed the better team; however with the 76ers mini-run as of late, that margin the Knicks had over the 76ers as the better team closed up a bit. As for the game, I think the Knicks will win this one by 12. The 76ers always seem to struggle with this team even against the pre-Marbury Knicks. So I go to go with the Knicks on this one. 106-94 Knicks.

7. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

Remember what Dalembert did last time these 2 teams played and he started?
    9 blocks talk for themselves. I remember how Marbury was afraid to go at the hoop and get blocked by Samuel,Sixers lost that game but they didn't have AI.

8. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I think that the 76ers will win this game I do not think the Knciks ar the better team expect they managed to take advantage of there easier stetch of games when it came while the Sixers did not. Lately the Sixers have been on a hot streak, and w efinally have the correct starting lineup to win. Will KT be playing this game thought he had the flu?

I hope that we play Skinner a little this game when he got some minutes last game because of KT being sick he was able tos core a couple points nad performed pretty well so maybe JO will give him some time now. I think that a matchup we will struggle with is the matchup at power forward they should do well there, but we pretty evened out every where else. i think our defense will play well today conisdering how much of a beast SD has been in the blocking department the last few games.

I think we can take advantage of TT he is not a great defender if we get him on some screens then we can open up the three for Korver. I think we should attack him like we did Buckner by taking him inside with Iggy and outside with Korver and just keep switching that up. Sixers by 7.

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

The Knicks do take advantage of their easier games...like the Sixers. The Knicks have Marbury penetrating and when he kicks it out anyone can make the shot. Even Mohammed has been a bit effective with the 12foot shot. Now that H2O is back and we're right on track I really don't see the Knicks losing to anyone who isn't in NBA championship contension. The Sixers have been playing well of late but, so have the Knicks, and we are hungry from that Garden loss yesterday. TT since he was a Knick has been a Sixer killer. He had some great nights vs. the Sixers including that dunk on Dalembert. Even if you are able to take advantage of TT, every team does so, that isn't new. You might struggle at the PF but, I think that you will struggle at the SG, SF (when Houston comes) and the C. There is no way that Korver will be able to hold Crawford and plus Crawford's recent games he has been averaging 28.6ppg. I doubt Korver, or anyone on the bench will be able to stop that. At the SF position I think Houston will take advantage of him because of the shots that Marbury and co. will set up for him, and also Houston is an experienced shoooting veteran that will really take advantage of Iguodala who is only a rookie. The C spot you have Nazr Mohammed flirting a with double-double averages of the season. Nazr Mohammed has given Dalembert a tough time throut his Knick career, and I don't expect it to stop. The Knicks are simply the better team who are more hungry, With Houston just returning I think they're identity is yet to be established. I feel that the Knicks will prove it tommorrow in a win at the Wachovia Center.

10. iversonfan3

iversonfan3 JBB JustBBall Member

I think this game can go to either of the teams, the Knicks are a little better team. It really just depends on who plays better.

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting iversonfan3:</div><div class="quote_post">I think this game can go to either of the teams, the Knicks are a little better team. It really just depends on who plays better.</div>
    I have to disagree with you. I think the Knicks are better than the Sixers. The Knicks have a solid player at every position (expcept TT) and a bench as well. The biggest problem the Sixers still lack to even be as good as the Knicks, is that "second scorer" Now that Robinson isn't playing the Sixers don't really have anyone.

12. iversonfan3

If the knicks are so much better than the Sixers, why are they only a 500 record team. Both teams record can tell you they're not going anywhere in the playoffs, Knicks IS a better team as of now, but I truly belileve once the Sixers start playing to their full potential, meaning Dalembert and Kenny Thomas aveaging double doublels like people expected, they can be a better team than the Knicks. Yes, the knicks have a great player in Marbury, a good player in Crawford,and 2 other decent/ok big mans. But look at Muhammud, he's been on a mini slump the last 3,4 games.8 points,7 rebounds,33 percent from the field. With the way Dalembert and Thomas are starting to playing up to their expectations, I believe the Sixers have an advantage in big mans in this one. Plus the Sixers have another decent big man in Jackson. I agree with you that Crawford will probably give teh Sixers a lot of ftrouble on the perimeter, but as I say again, this game is anybodys, it can go either way.

13. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Injury Report 12/17

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">12/17:
    Allen Iverson - out, right index finger sprain
    Glenn Robinson - out, personal family reasons
    Kenny Thomas - practice to tolerance, pleurisy</div>

Thats not good news on Allen, an index finger sprain on your shooting hand is not the easiest thing to overcome, even if he does play with the injury it's not going to be easy for him to score or shoot.

14. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Knicks do take advantage of their easier games...like the Sixers.</div>

And the Bobcats.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Now that H2O is back and we're right on track I really don't see the Knicks losing to anyone who isn't in NBA championship contension.</div>

So basically you?re saying that the Knicks are right up there for the championship? Regardless if those are your intentions or not, the Knicks are by no means up for a championship or even close to being championship bound.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Sixers have been playing well of late but, so have the Knicks, and we are hungry from that Garden loss yesterday.</div>

After being down by as much as 18 Points and coming back to win the game against a solid team such as Denver wouldn?t you think the 76ers confidence would have gone up tremendously and have them eager to get back on the court especially at home?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">TT since he was a Knick has been a Sixer killer. He had some great nights vs. the Sixers including that dunk on Dalembert.</div>

Mentioning that dunk on Dalembert is just trying to boost Thomas credibility. Dunking on a defender is nothing special at all. A player could be 2-19 and he could still manage to dunk on Shaq for example. But you do have a point to your assessment. Thomas has played well against this 76ers team, however he's been struggling as of late and the NYC fans don't even appreciate him. So his confidence and dedication level should probably be questioned right now. BTW, here is a little article I diged up stating that Thomas may see limited minutes.

<div align="center">Struggling Thomas may see minutes cut</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You might struggle at the PF but, I think that you will struggle at the SG, SF (when Houston comes) and the C. There is no way that Korver will be able to hold Crawford and plus Crawford's recent games he has been averaging 28.6ppg. I doubt Korver, or anyone on the bench will be able to stop that. At the SF position I think Houston will take advantage of him because of the shots that Marbury and co. will set up for him, and also Houston is an experienced shoooting veteran that will really take advantage of Iguodala who is only a rookie.</div>

You're right to a certain a degree. The 76ers might struggle at the PF ONLY because the 76ers has trouble defending the Pick & Roll that Marbury and Thomas executes so well. As for Crawford and Houston, it's most likely that they may have decent games. But even though Iguodala is just a rookie he is very solid on defense and don't be surprised if cranks that defensive aggressiveness up a notch. Not to mention, there is also Aaron Mckie. While you may think he is all washed up, since coming back from his injury he's been much more active especially on the defense end for that matter. And after that defensive performance he had on Tracy McGrady recently; do not be surprised if he gives Crawford or/and Houston problems.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Nazr Mohammed has given Dalembert a tough time throut his Knick career, and I don't expect it to stop. The Knicks are simply the better team who are more hungry,</div>

<u>Last Confrontation</u>

----- (Dalembert DNP)

<u>Last Season</u>

4/3/2004 <font color="Red">NYK @ PHI</font>
    Dalembert- 13 Points, 14 Rebounds, 9 Blocks
    Mohammed- 16 Points, 8 Rebounds, 1 Block

3/12/2004 <font color="Red">PHI @ NYK</font>
    Dalembert- 7 Points, 11 Rebounds, 2 Blocks
    Mohammed- 13 Points, 8 Rebounds, 1 Block

3/3/2004 <font color="Red">NYK @ PHI</font>
    Dalembert- 19 Points, 14 Rebounds, 4 Blocks
    Mohammed- 12 Points, 15 Rebounds, 1 Block

So we only have last season stats to look at, and as far as Dalembert struggling I don't understand what you're talking about. Now while Mohammed has the better offensive numbers, defense is what matters most. When both teams go at it, the guards are usually the benefactor so you can blame those losses to the 76ers backcourt. But that?s not my point, the fact and the matter is that Dalembert hasn't necessarily struggle against Mohammed so I don?t know what you were referring too.

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And the Bobcats.</div>
    Well the Knicks have for the most part taken advantage of easier teams. Some times teams just slip up. The Sixers lost against the Hawks so I guess we're both a victim.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">So basically you?re saying that the Knicks are right up there for the championship? Regardless if those are your intentions or not, the Knicks are by no means up for a championship or even close to being championship bound.</div>
    I didn't say the Knicks were championship contenders. They haven't reached eliteness yet but, they will soon. The Sixers are not at all a championship. You can consider them both mediocre teams but, the Knicks are at the top of mediocrity while the Sixers are still climbing to reach it.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    After being down by as much as 18 Points and coming back to win the game against a solid team such as Denver wouldn?t you think the 76ers confidence would have gone up tremendously and have them eager to get back on the court especially at home?</div>
    The Sixers confidence will be up their but, so will the Knicks. I never said anything about the Sixers not having as much or less confidence than the Knicks.

Mentioning that dunk on Dalembert is just trying to boost Thomas credibility. Dunking on a defender is nothing special at all. A player could be 2-19 and he could still manage to dunk on Shaq for example. But you do have a point to your assessment. Thomas has played well against this 76ers team, however he's been struggling as of late and the NYC fans don't even appreciate him. So his confidence and dedication level should probably be questioned right now. BTW, here is a little article I diged up stating that Thomas may see limited minutes.
    TT has been playing well, against the Sixers and that Dalembert flush was just a part of what he did against Philadelphia. TT was shooting well that night and in addition he also took it in. The fact of the matter is that he has been doing his thing vs. Philadelphia since becoming a Knick. Sometimes when a player isn't playing so well in the season he plays well against a team he has been doing playing well against through out his whole careeer.
    <div align="center">Struggling Thomas may see minutes cut</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You're right to a certain a degree. The 76ers might struggle at the PF ONLY because the 76ers has trouble defending the Pick & Roll that Marbury and Thomas executes so well. As for Crawford and Houston, it's most likely that they may have decent games. But even though Iguodala is just a rookie he is very solid on defense and don't be surprised if cranks that defensive aggressiveness up a notch. Not to mention, there is also Aaron Mckie. While you may think he is all washed up, since coming back from his injury he's been much more active especially on the defense end for that matter. And after that defensive performance he had on Tracy McGrady recently; do not be surprised if he gives Crawford or/and Houston problems.</div>
    Iguodala and Aaron McKie are good defenders don't get me wrong. But, not many teams have such an effective backcourt as NYK. They have a great PG a great combo guard and a great shooter. Not to take away anything from McKie but, T-Mac FG% has been bad because of his questionable shot selection also he doesn't have a PG to create for him and give him good looks. Again, I am not taking anything away from McKie but, I think he will have a harder time vs. the whole Knick team.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    <u>Last Confrontation</u>

----- (Dalembert DNP)

<u>Last Season</u>

4/3/2004 <font color="Red">NYK @ PHI</font>
    Dalembert- 13 Points, 14 Rebounds, 9 Blocks
    Mohammed- 16 Points, 8 Rebounds, 1 Block

3/12/2004 <font color="Red">PHI @ NYK</font>
    Dalembert- 7 Points, 11 Rebounds, 2 Blocks
    Mohammed- 13 Points, 8 Rebounds, 1 Block

3/3/2004 <font color="Red">NYK @ PHI</font>
    Dalembert- 19 Points, 14 Rebounds, 4 Blocks
    Mohammed- 12 Points, 15 Rebounds, 1 Block

So we only have last season stats to look at, and as far as Dalembert struggling I don't understand what you're talking about. Now while Mohammed has the better offensive numbers, defense is what matters most. When both teams go at it, the guards are usually the benefactor so you can blame those losses to the 76ers backcourt. But that?s not my point, the fact and the matter is that Dalembert hasn't necessarily struggle against Mohammed so I don?t know what you were referring too.
    </div>
    Sorry. I meant it from his offense. I remember Nazr putting up some great numbers in Philadelphia. I should have been more clear about the trouble thing.

16. iversonfan3

Now that AI might not play, or play with injury, I'm not so sure if the Sixers will beat the Knicks now...

17. Erin

What The Freaking Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Very nice win by the Sixers what happened to the Knicks being the best team by far mrj18? I dont think either team is very impressive at this point, but I am starting to see a lot more hope in the Sixers season than Knicks since they got 4 straight wins over quality teams as well.

Overall this was a very nice game, but I got a little worried when we blew our huge lead in the fourth. The Knicks did not go down without a fight I got to give them credit for that. I was very impressed by Allen Iverson tonight he had another great shooting night that is the biggest reason for this win streak by the Sixers I believe he has shot well in a majority of the games during the win streak. Tonight he performed very well against Stephon Marbury great overall game 22 points 6 rebounds 8 assists on 8-15 shooting. He has also put up great rebounding numbers the last few games 10 rebounds last game before this one 6 tonight that is pretty good for a 6 foot point guard.

We beat the Knicks in every area of the game tonight rebounds 34-38, Assists 19-16, and forced them into 24 fouls 5 more than what we had this game. We also had a better shooting percentage then them this game 38-73 while the Knicks shot 28-68. Another player who had a very impressive night was KT he scored 21 points on 9-11 shooting by the way he also scored a season high on field goals made.

I am very happy on how we performed against TT who had a couple good games against us since joining the Knicks holding him to 9 points not even getting to double digits and only 3 rebounds that is pretty sad for a guy with his size when AI out rebounds him.

Nazr Mohammed really did not perform well tonight he only attempted 5 shots was 2-5 with 7 points 5 rebounds which sucks for me since I have him on my fantasy team. He was one of the biggest down sides for the Knciks tonight.

How about this we ahd 5 guys score double digits while the big three of the Knicks the only one that comfortably reached double digits was Marbruy Crawford showed his inconsistansy again only scoring 12 points after being really hot lately, and Houston only finished with 10 points.

How about Kurt Thomas this game 6 points 7 rebounds another down side for the Knicks. One of the good surprises from the Sixers tonight was Green good shooting 5-9 conisdering he only shot 37 percent form the field this season shooting over 50% tonight was a confidence lifter. KK had a pretty bad game 2-8 shooting 0-4 form the arc again showing how he really is one of the most inconstistant players on this team he finished with a total of 4 points his bad game tongiht may have cleared the way for Green and put KK in the dog house since Green got 35 minutes and KK got 16.

Overall good win once again. GL to the Knicks on the rest of there season. One team I am worried about now in the division race is NJ they are not that far out since our division is so weak, and with VC they will be a team to fear on the break.

19. Erin

I can not believe this.

I don't care. Right now, I hate the 76ers.

20. iversonfan3

I hate the 76ers too Erin, you're not the only one