15th Roster Spot (non) News (MERGED)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Masbee, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RoyIsClutch07

RoyIsClutch07 Active Member

Re: 15th Roster Spot (non) News

I'm more in line with this thinking.

2. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

We are covered for quite some time at the SG, SF, PF and C We aren't at the PG spot.

3. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

Very troubled by this decision, although it admittedly is for the last spot on the bench. Forgive me for falling into MIXUM territory, but I think this offseason has been an abject failure. Andre Miller was a third-choice afterthought and seems to be killing the chemistry that the core of this team had been building over the course of several years. The wrangling of LaMarcus' contract may or may not be impacting his desire to play.

Plus the glut of talent they have reminds me of the 2000 Blazers.... two "starting lineups" which NEVER works. Perhaps it's a testament to KP's past success that he can't get a GM in the league to deal with him so the Blazers can trim the lineup.

The hype of this team's potential is really making me worry. Those old snakebitten wounds of 1992 and 2000 are starting to get sore, although I would hope that Roy, Greg, and LaMarcus are made of a different cloth than the earlier Blazer verisions, but we'll see.

4. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I think Andre was a decision we made and was going to be a blazer either by S&T or as a FA. We waited hoping to sign Hedo, then Milsap and even made an offer to Lee, then rather than trade for him we simply signed for him.

5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'

People, people. Neither Ime nor Collins were going to play. Or if they did, everybody would be howling because they'd be playing ahead of younger players that "we need to develop". So this can only be bad if they were "great veteran influences". Now, maybe they were. But we've got Miller and Howard who are veterans who will actually play. And Mills has unquestionably the most talent of the three, and is very similar to Aaron Brooks, the like of which everybody was pining for when he was torching us in the playoffs.

I think this team would benefit by trading some young'uns for James Jones back. When he's healthy, he was much more important for the Blazers than Udoka ever was (and seems to have the same influence on Miami).

6. TradeNurkicNow

TradeNurkicNow Resident OT Section Crank

I'd rather have Mills in 3 years than Ime this year.

7. Blaze01

Blaze01 JBB JustBBall Member

Good...about time someone in "upper" management started to dictate a few things to those two guys....

Maybe they could also dictate to KP to get rid of Outlaw & Blake ASAP...and dictate to Nate to put his brain back in his skull and start Oden and Miller.....

If the coach and the GM won't do what needs to be done (as listed above) then someone up above them sure as he11 should....

8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter

Keep in mind, just because Nate wanted him, doesn't mean he's a good player or good for the team. Or long for the NBA.

Case in point? Taurean Green. I'm still waiting for those 4 wins he was going to get us.

9. BenDavis503

BenDavis503 Banned User BANNED

Computer Geek

Thank you lol

Anyhow...

Would you guys REALLY want a 15th man scrub who will NEVER play? Or a rookie prospect who has Tony Parker written all over him?

10. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Minimum vets salary (as mandated by the CBA) > salary for a late 2nd round pick. Pretty straightforward, actually. :dunno:

11. Erroneous Subterfuge

Erroneous Subterfuge meh

Wow, so much delusion in this thread. I'm bookmarking this shit. Too funny.

Yeah, Mills is the answer. Just like Telfair. Just like Bayless. Just like Sergio. Julia just mentioned Green. No this time for reals, yo. I mean he scored 37 against the Ducks in College!

Oh you're so right, the Vulcan suites definitely should make all personnel moves from here on out, seeing as they've forgotten more basketball than KP and Nate will ever know...

12. SodaPopinski

SodaPopinski Tigers love pepper

As a side note, could The Columbian update their web site layout? Good lord, it's like staring into the sun to read anything on those pages for too long.

13. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic

I like this move.

We are going to have a hard enough time finding time for most of the roster as it is.

Ime would have been fighting for time with Batum/Webster/Fernandez/Bayless/Cunningham

Collins isn't exactly what I would call insurance, either. If Joel/Greg go down we're fucked anyways.

14. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter

Julia?

I wasn't saying that actually. Are you having a difficult time reading today?

I believe my point was, and far be it for me to speak for me, that Nate doesn't have a great track record either, when it comes to roster spots.

15. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

So, when do we start the pool as to how many healthy bodies the team will have opening night? With Mills and Pendergraph, the max is 13. I would put the over/under at 10.

16. Erroneous Subterfuge

Erroneous Subterfuge meh

Freudian slip. Sorry Julie.

I was engaging in hyperbole with the Vulcan comment, and I do apologize, Judy.

I know what you're saying, and I disagree. Way to use a single example and act like it's a "track record". In fact, it's not really an example seeing as Nate doesn't have the final say as far as roster spots go. All he did was make a positive comment about one of his players. Pretty odd for a coach to do that, I know... Anways, and maybe you're not reading well today, but KP also wanted Ime. Anything to say about that?

17. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

What's with the name twisting bullshit....? :sigh: Can't have a civil debate w/o the shit slinging?

18. Erroneous Subterfuge

Erroneous Subterfuge meh

:confused: I'm only playing, making fun of my typo the first time, didn't think it was a big deal... Much like this entire topic. :devilwink:

19. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

:cheers: w0rd.

20. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

One, it's almost a 600k drop in salary from Udoka or Collins to Mills.
    Two, neither Udoka nor Collins can be optioned to the D-League to get some run. Mills can (when healthy).
    Three, Collins is the 5th-best C we have/had (behind Oden, Joel, LMA, and Howard. Maybe JP as well).
    Four, there is actually a reward in the risk-reward equation for Mills. Maybe he ends up like Sergio or Telfair, maybe he ends up like Tony Parker. Either way, we KNOW he's not going to be an aged Collins or Udoka.
    Five, KP jettisoned Udoka two years ago when Ime just wanted a 2/3M contract (or about 400k more per year than he would've gotten this year). Sure, he's two years wiser now, but he's also two years older. He's also #4 on the SF depth chart, and maybe #5 or #6 on the SG depth chart.