Notice 16 players the Portland Trail Blazers should consider trading for

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Jan 4, 2018.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2018/01/nba_rumors_trail_blazers_trades.html

[​IMG]

The trade deadline is only a month away, which brings the playoff picture more into focus in both conferences. Teams making a push for the postseason will look to add pieces as the trade rumors heat up. What do you think the Portland Trail Blazers should do? Do you think Neil Olshey will be aggressive before the deadline? Here's a look at some of the players who might be available before the cutoff at noon Pacific time on Feb. 8.

Tyson Chandler, PF, Phoenix Suns

[​IMG]

Tyson Chander has been the subject of trade rumors since early in the season as the Suns have been trying to sort out their priorities. The veteran former No. 2 pick (2001) has been a mentor for the team's younger centers. He's owed nearly $13.6 million this season and he has one more season on his contract. For the Blazers, Chandler could be a solid tutor to younger players and offers important minutes, especially given his experience.

Tyreke Evans, G/F, Memphis Grizzlies

[​IMG]

Tyreke Evans is on a one-year deal with the Grizzlies and coach J.B. Bickerstaff admits he's on a mission "and not a personal mission." Which means Evans is ready to help wherever he lands. He's averaging 19.1 points per game and has been called "an ideal bench scorer," which might be a perfect fit for the Blazers.

Nikola Mirotic, PF, Chicago Bulls

[​IMG]

The Bulls were 3-20 before Nikola Mirotic returned to the lineup after his facial injury and the drama that's surrounded it. Since he's been back, they've won 10 of 15 games, including a recent seven-game winning streak. That's given him a big boost in the trade market. He has a no-trade clause which he's said he's willing to waive if he can land in the right spot. Could Portland be that spot?

Marco Belinelli, G/F, Atlanta Hawks

[​IMG]

Marco Belinelli, who will be an unrestricted free agent after this season, has been making the most of his contract year, averaging 12 points, 2.2 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game shooting with 40 percent from three-point range. The Italian national has said he'd like a two- to three-year contract at his next stop, and he could be a relatively inexpensive pickup to add depth for the Blazers.

Marc Gasol, C, Memphis Grizzlies

[​IMG]

Attach the word "blockbuster" to any deal involving Marc Gasol, which might take the Blazers right out of the market. But a Gasol-to-Portland move would be splashy and light up a team mired in a moribund season. Gasol, 33, has two years and $50 million (including a player option in the final year) left on his contract after this season. A move now likely is better than later. He's not getting any younger.

Lou Williams, G, LA Clippers

[​IMG]

Lou Williams becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season and the former Sixth Man of the Year candidate been the subject of trade rumors linking him to several teams (although not specifically with Portland). He has scored 30 points or more seven times this season and is known to be stellar on isolation plays, creating his own chances. He shoots well from the perimeter Yes, this is a "nerd"take on his situation, but there you go.

Julius Randle, C/PF, LA Lakers

[​IMG]

So, is Julius Randle actually trade bait or his he going to be one of the Lakers' building blocks? If Magic Johnson and company decide to move him the Blazers could look at his efficiency (21.1 points, 10.5 rebounds in 36 minutes), his improved defense and the speed and playmaking advantages he has against bigger players.

Jordan Clarkson, G, LA Lakers

[​IMG]

Jordan Clarkson, set to earn $12.5 million and $13.4 million over the next two years, is no stranger to trade rumors as the Lakers look to clear cap space. He has helped the team win games, averaging 13.8 points on 46.2 percent shooting early this season, even as he deals with a shooting slump at the moment.

Javale McGee, C, Golden State Warriors

[​IMG]

JaVale McGee re-signed with the Warriors this past summer on a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum. He will become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and he's made it clear his unhappy with both the minimum and with his eight minutes per game as former Oregon Ducks forward Jordan Bell impresses in his rookie season.

Jared Dudley, F, Phoenix Suns

[​IMG]

Do the Blazers need a reliable three-point shooter? If so, maybe they should take a look at Jared Dudley, a 10-year NBA veteran. At 6-foot-7, Dudley can defend multiple positions, including opposing shooting guards, players on the wing and power forwards. He's in the second year of a three-year deal with Phoenix.

Jabari Parker, F, Milwaukee Bucks

[​IMG]

The big question is whether the Bucks want to deal the injury-prone Jabari Parker. If they do, and he successfully rehabs after his second knee injury in three years, Parker (a former No. 2 pick) could develop into an elite and versatile weapon for the Blazers considering his quickness paired with a 6-foot-8 frame. Last season, he played in 51 games, averaging 20.1 points, 6.2 rebounds, 2.8 assists and one steal in 33.9 minutes per game.

Hassan Whiteside, C, Miami Heat

[​IMG]

If the Blazers are really in the trade market for a big man, they could take a long look at Hassan Whiteside. While he's been out for the Heat due to injury, Bam Adebayo has worked his way into Miami's rotation and the rookie continues to progress. Whiteside, 28, has been a bit fragile, but the Blazers could use a guy with a competitive attitude who led the league in blocked shots in 2015-16 and in rebounding last season. This season, in the second year of a four-year, $98 million deal (a trade factor) he's averaging 14.3 points and 12.2 rebounds per game and is a strong defender. Also, don't forget that following his free agency, Whiteside admitted that Portland was his second option to signing with the Heat. Would he still be interested in joining Lillard & Co. in Rip City?

Demarcus Cousins, F/C, New Orleans Pelicans

[​IMG]

Cousins might want to test free agency this summer, but if New Orleans really wants to push to make the playoffs -- the Pelicans are hovering around the final playoff spot in the Western Conference -- don't expect DeMarcus Cousins to be moved. Averaging 26.2 points on 47.9 percent shooting from the field, along with 12.5 rebounds, a career-high 5.2 assists, and 1.5 blocks, he would give the Blazers instant credibility. But he would also likely come at a steep cost with no guarantee of re-signing with the Blazers.

DeAndre Jordan, C, LA Clippers

[​IMG]

DeAndre Jordan will be a free agent this summer and trade talk was heating up earlier in the season. Even if it's died down some as the Clippers have stayed afloat in the Western Conference, it hasn't completely gone away. Jordan, who has spent his entire 10-year career with the Clippers, is averaging 11.1 points and 15.1 rebounds. He definitely could help the Blazers in the middle and would look pretty good catching lobs from Lillard and/or McCollum.

Dario Saric, PF, Philadelphia 76ers

[​IMG]

Dario Saric, in the second season of a three-year deal, is averaging 13.6 points and 7 rebounds in 30 minutes per game and is a legitimate double-double threat. He can create for others, is solid in the open court and crashes the glass. At 23, he could give the Blazers youth, versatility and energy at a key position. But what would it cost Portland to acquire the talented youngster?

Anthony Davis, PF, New Orleans Pelicans

[​IMG]

The Blazers could make a run at him but likely don’t have enough assets to make a serious bid for Anthony Davis, who is in the second season of a five-year, $127,171,313 deal. Even if the Blazers did have the right players to make that trade, it would likely involve giving up one or more of the franchise pillars in Lillard, McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic among other assets. The Celtics probably are the only team in the NBA with enough to bring him in if Pelicans GM Dell Demps is brave enough to put him back on the trade block. And soon, if the Pelicans let DeMarcus Cousins go in a trade.

Looking ahead

[​IMG]

The Blazers could make a major move ahead of the deadline or stick with the roster they have. Looking ahead, the free-agent market in 2018 is expected to be much tighter than in past years when the boost in the salary cap saw tremendous spending from teams. The 2018 draft is loaded with power forwards and centers, which plays right into Portland's needs, but are those players immediate impact guys? Damian Lillard, 27, and CJ McCollum, 26, are entering their prime years, which the Blazers can't afford to waste. They need players on this roster who are ready to contribute now, so after essentially striking out in free agency, President of Basketball Operations Neil Olshey is under pressure to make some moves and do so quickly.

Do you think the Blazers should try to pull off a big deal? Should they stick with what they have and roll the dice with free agency and the draft? Is there one particular player they should target?

Let us know what you think the team needs to do.

2. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    My vote is for Tyreke Evans. How the deal is manipulated and who gets shipped out is the next question.

3. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

any trade involving Nurk is out of the question

dviss1 and Driew like this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Evans would be cool but it’s almost like what’s the point you know? He’s a free agent after the season so it very well may just be a rental. And he’s not making enough to where we can dump a contract.

stampedehero likes this.
  5. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Dario!

The rest for the most part are unrealistic.

BBert likes this.
  6. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

I'm down with clarkson

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  7. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Portland should not be buying unless it's for a cheap contract that extends 2+ years.

If they can dump stuff to reduce salary and shuffle the deck - fine. Dario is the only one on that list that qualifies.

Chris Craig, BBert and BonesJones like this.
  8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I guess the next question is, would you give up a first for Dario? I would. He’s still young and is exactly what we need. We’d struggle to find someone like him outside the lottery.

BBert likes this.
  9. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

I’d trade Swanigan and a 2nd for Jabari Parker.

Chris Craig likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'm still not convinced we have enough to get Anthony Davis. So let's say we go crazy and offer Dame/Nurk for Davis.... is that even enough for them to accept?

Is a lineup with Bazz/CJ/Davis enough to compete? I honestly don't think that CJ/Nurk is enough value. There are other teams that could offer up more.

I like Cousins but it would cost Nurk, and there's risk because Cousins could just leave after this season. I don't think it's worth it.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Here’s my (realistic? At least to me) list of guys not named

Stanley Johnson
    Jabari Parker
    Courtney Lee
    Terrence Ross
    Timothe Luwawu Cabarrot
    Alfonzo McKinnie
    Malik Beasley
    Juan Hernangomez
    TJ Warren

rotary111 likes this.
  12. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Saric is a shitty defender. Plus, doesn't he play the same position as our franchise savior?

13. Mediocre Man

You think we could get Parker? Could be perfect low risk high reward

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Not sure there’s a match with Portland specifically, but I do think the bucks would be open to trading him.

But yeah I’d offer anyone but Nurk, Dame and CJ and I’d add a pick to it as well if need be.

Harkless and Aminu fit the type of athletes their front office likes.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  15. AFully22

I’ve been on the trade for Jabari train for about a month. If what I’ve read is true regarding his market value it could be a low risk high reward definitely worth exploring. People forget he looked like a bonafide star for 50 games last year.

BonesJones likes this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m for it. Isn’t he also a RFA? Not sure Milwaukee wants to pay him.

How about Aminu, Vonleh and a pick for Jabari?

17. Mediocre Man

Really want a new coach with Vonleh before we trade him. He has a very good drpm number. Not that plus minus iscthe end all be all, by any stretch, but its a nice list.

Taking out Collison who has barely played, Noah is number 11 right behind Freak.

Bell is 6th fwiw

BBert, BonesJones and rotary111 like this.
  18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I Disagree. I think it would be worth the risk because I really think Cousins would stay. Dame and Cousins would be a fantastic combo and Cousins just has another gear that you can't teach. If I'm Neil there's no way I'm letting this chance slip.

19. AFully22

Yea he’s a RFA this summer and he was reportedly going for a max contract, although that would never happen. Aminu and Vonleh makes sense but so does Ed Davis, Shabazz, or Harkless. I think they are in the market for centers though. Something like Aminu, Davis, Napier for Parker and Dellevadova is what I was thinking. This would be taking into account that we aren’t planning to resign Davis or Napier. Dellevadova isn’t a great fit there and Napier brings in some scoring they need. Worth a shot either way.

If you bring Jabari along slowly the rest of the year and then give him rest periodically the following year he could bring exactly what we are missing. Just makes a lot of sense to me.

Scalma likes this.
  20. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Your post conveys you don't understand basic things.