Notice 16 players the Portland Trail Blazers should consider trading for

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Should be extremely cheap, and has some potential. I wouldn't trade significant assets for him but for a 2nd rounder he's worth it.

RR7 likes this.
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It made more sense before Orlando declined his option. If we trade for him now and plays well, he’ll price himself out of Portland.

The Jabari Parker theory sounds the best to me. Only question I have is when will he return to the court? I’ve read February. If he doesn’t show he’s healthy before the deadline, would Olshey, or anyone else for that matter, still go after him?

rotary111 likes this.
  3. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Chicago doesn't have both $15M in cap space & $11.5 in a TPE. It's either/or.

They can have $15M in cap space
    OR
    they can have $3.5M in cap space with a $11.5M TPE

Also, I really doubt Chicago would take all three of ET, Meyers, & Hark for a single 1st.

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The most realistic move with Chicago is something centered around Harkless and Mirotic imo. Mirotic is playing great but he's always been a streaky player, and there's a much larger sample size to go by, so I don't see him getting overvalued in reality as much as some fans are doing right now. And this is coming from someone who's been mentioning Mirotic on here for awhile.

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

There's also this

Right around the time guard Zach LaVine is scheduled to rejoin the team, forward Nikola Mirotic might be ready to tape up his cardboard boxes, empty his locker and hang up his Bulls jersey for the last time.

The Sun-Times reported last week that Mirotic and his representatives are standing firm on his trade request and that he is willing to waive the no-trade clause in his contract when he’s eligible to be dealt Jan. 15.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports...nikola-mirotic-could-be-heading-out-the-door/

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Mirotic is definitely playing for a contract right now...will he still be playing like this after he gets paid? It's a gamble

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He just got paid this summer.

Edit: the only real difference I see is he's getting more minutes, and putting up more shots. I mentioned earlier this year that he plays better the more minutes he gets. But most shooters are like that.

Pinwheel1 and riverman like this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He's demanded a trade though, which is my context....he's looking for a job...and showcasing his game..had he not demanded a trade, he might not be bringing it like he is now....just another perspective..I don't know how much he makes

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    By that logic, what do you think about a guy who SHOULD be playing for a contract (Nurkic), but isn’t producing like he did last season?

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  10. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    I have a hard time trading for any player injured over and over and over again, even if they're game changers. I guess we could bring Oden back because he would be awesome on this team....but he's injured all the time so never mind. Love me some Anthony Davis and Jabari Parker but having them sit in their expensive suits while we get trounced in the first round because our star is yet again injured would destroy this board. Especially after we gutted and mortgaged the team to get them. Obviously the type of injury matters.

I can see why some would want to take the chance though. All of sports is a gamble of some sort. Too much heartache still left after Oden/Roy.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Would we really be gutting the team for Jabari though? As long as it's not one of Dame, CJ, Nurk, or Collins, would you really miss any of the rest? His injuries arewhy we could potentially "buy low" on him. I think it's worth the risk. And we wouldn't HAVE to sign him if we didn't want to. Could just turn into a salary dump.

AFully22 and rotary111 like this.
  12. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.
    All true. Jabari could me worth it if we get him cheap enough. I actually have always been a huge fan of his. The heartache though!

PtldPlatypus and Scalma like this.
  13. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I'd rather go hard after Exum in the summer. If Portland could give him a full MLE offer, i'm not sure Utah would match.

14. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

So Parker is a RFA this summer after asking for the max in September..... I can see why the Bucks would consider a trade. He makes 6.8 this year and the Bucks are just barely under the Luxury tax level. So we need to come in at that amount or lower? Noah and Caleb come out to 5.5 (Throw in Jake at 1.3?)

Sure it seems laughable that the Bucks would do it, but he is a RFA and he has some bad injuries......I would gamble from Portland's standpoint.

15. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

A big man coach would be cheaper, wouldn't count against the cap and push us further into luxury tax repeater hell.

Yes, because they are so good at throwing lobs. As a team, the Blazers have a grand total of 4 successful alley oop dunks for the season.

Yes, they could do something or they could do nothing. Way to cover all the bases. Good job!

Irrelevant. Neil blew his wad in the summer of 2016, and even when we had a shit ton of money to spend, all it got us was Evan Turner, a year of Festus Ezeli in a suit and three guys who we resigned that have all under achieved tremendously relative to their contracts. How bad was that summer of 2016? Of Neil's five signings that summer, Meyers Leonard may have been the biggest "bargain".

Does it? Really? We traded for Nurkic and used three first round picks in a deep draft on two young bigs (plus we also have Vonleh, Leonard, Davis and Aminu all eating up minutes at the 4 and 5), but have a huge gaping hole at starting SF and need a reliable 3 and D wing off the bench.

Or, we could let Nurk walk, give up on Collins, stick with Evan Turner at starting SF and draft another big man project. Lather, rinse, repeat. If only there was some proven method of helping young big men develop. If only there were coaches available to specifically teach young players big men skills. I'm surprised no on has thought of this. If only there was an answer to this problem. I'm sure if there was the Vulcans would have found it by now.

BNM

BonesJones and dviss1 like this.
  16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

He can play SF.

17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don’t think they’d want Caleb. He doesn’t really fit what they look for athletically. Aminu fits them perfect. If we took on Henson we could expand the deal and still save Milwaukee money.

BonesJones likes this.
  18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

That trade works for us but them...?

19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

You probably are right but they might want at least one big on their roster with a little beef, for certain matchups when needed. He comes cheap and he is going to get better.

20. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    some interesting options in here

im actually open to moving anyone but Dame if it's a step forwards.

a 6-6 , 6-7 SG who can also defend
    a SF that can stay in the rotation
    a PF that can also stay in the rotation, work with Nurk, likes D, and has some inside game.