#2 pick Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I don't know about trading up to #2 just to get who we want. I'd expect we'd draft the same guy who would've been available at #6 anyways. Hell last year Nolan Smith was ranked in the second round by virtually everybody but we found a way to take him ahead of Kenneth Farried, Marshon Brooks, Norris Cole.

Does anyone else believe we'd be better off just using our picks ourselves and following Chad Ford's rankings? I download an ESPN cheat sheet for fantasy football drafts because I'm smart enough to know those experts are better at ranking and projecting players then me.

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

MKG is one of the best wing/post passers in college, and has a pretty decent ability to know where/how to cut and move without the ball. If you're saying he can't square up a guy and blow past him with two dribbles, then I agree. That's not what I call "creating offense", though.

3. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    FWIW the Warriors want a veteran SF and have the #7 pick on the table: Iggy/Batum are high on their list.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I'd love to get Batum on the Dubs but is it possible to do an S&T at the draft? I would think Batum wants to play the market.

5. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Nope, we can't even trade him at the draft since his contract is up after this season. We can't even agree to terms with him signing a contract and you guys drafting the player we would want.

6. Run BJM

Yeah it seems difficult logistically, though I have read a few times that hes on the Warriors' list of SFs.

I don't actually see him leaving Portland though, unless another team goes completely nuts with a contract.

7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

The problem with moving up to anything but #1 is that so many guys are interchangable.

Beal seems nice, but so do Lamb and Ross

Drummond also seems nice, but so do Jones3 and maybe Sullinger after workouts

MKG seems nice, but so do Barnes and Lillard

8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I agree mm. I findthis amusing, that the suggestion is to trade up to 2 to get one of three guys. So..shouldn't we just trade to four, which would likely be cheaper? Or keep both picks.

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I mean if one of them absolutely separates himself from the others in workouts, then absolutely......Which might be what the OP meant

10. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Yup. The 2-12 guys seem kind of like they're all lumped in the same tier. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the Blazers trade back out of 6 and get a later lottery pick and a future first or even a good rotation quality player thrown in. The team has too many holes to fill to push their chips in and try to target one specific guy at the top of the order when it doesn't appear there's much difference between that guy and some of the others that come later.

If draft picks are like lottery tickets I want as many shots as I can get and not rely on an insistence that the combination of the numbers from my birthday and phone number are sure winners.

11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

People sleeping on TRob.

smh.

12. BrianFromWA

I like T-Rob, and if we were doing the nuclear rebuild option I'd think about replacing LMA with him and more assets.

But if we're keeping LMA, I think that MKG is a tier better "fit" for our team going forward. But don't construe that as Robinson hate.

13. illmatic99

It's not as much hate as it is disregarding how good he is, and how well he can potentially translate his game to the NBA. And given his rebounding and weakside shot blocking, I absolutely think he and LA could coexist.

14. BrianFromWA

You're kind of making my point. I agree with you on all his attributes, but if he's the weakside defender, that means LMA is guarding the opponent's best big. And we've seen that he wears down when asked to do that AND be #1 option on offense, and I don't see Robinson being the best offensive option.

15. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

After watching Milsap, Favors and Jefferson try to co-exist on Utah last season, I'm not too high on the idea of playing 2 PFs at once.

16. illmatic99

IDK, maybe I'm a bit jaded because he's my favorite prospect in this draft after Davis (by far). Something about this guy makes him seem like a can't miss prospect.

Unstoppable motor, great athleticism, improving every year, and tremendous desire to get better. MKG might be a better fit for us if we move up to 2, but would he be BPA with TRob still on the board? With our team so devoid of talent right now, I don't think there's much of a point to figuring out fit. Gotta get talent first.

And SMH @ moving to #2 to get Beal. Come on now.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  17. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I think we have to keep both of our 1st round picks with a deep draft like this one. MKG is the only guy that we might regret missing out on, but I'm not completely sold on him either. We need quality depth on our team and keeping our two picks is a good way to address that.

18. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I like Robinson a lot, too. But, I think he'll be off the board by the time we pick. I don't think packaging 2 picks to move down to get Robinson makes all that much sense when the team has so many holes to fill.

I think Robinson will be a good player, but not franchise cornerstone type guy.

19. Run BJM

That's the problem with him. Hes not THAT skilled as far as a go-to guy like maybe a Barkely or Elton Brand. Could end up being a solid 16/10 career guy, but probably not a top 1 or 2 guy on a contender.