2004 NBA All-Star Weekend

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by shoeaddict, Nov 28, 2003.

1. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Anyone who doesn't have Tim Duncan starting for the West must not have ever seen him play basketball.

Zach Randolph and Karl Malone over TD? It is the sort of post that makes me wonder if Scott Layden has an alias at Jbball.com

2. njkmart06

njkmart06 JBB JustBBall Member

Who should be in the 2004 Dunk Contest?

Suggest a set of dunkers that should be in the DC this year.

I personally think this is a good set:

J-Rich (Only cuz ge has 2 dfend his title)
    G-Dub (Cuz he landed a facial on that white guy from Houston)
    Vince (Has to regain whats rightfully his)
    K-Mart (Believe it or not but i'd like to c what he would come up wit)

Note: You might ask y a power dunker like K-mart but i think Amare surprised us all last year with his through the legs dunk

3. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    If I had to choose...

I'd pick J-Rich (cats got mad ups!),Gerald Wallace,D-Mase,Vinsanity and I'd grad a newcomer like Dahntay Jones,but I think he's still on the shelf.

4. jbbTD21

jbbTD21 JBB JustBBall Member

And Ricky Davis? The NBA didn?t let him participating because he has got more than 3 years experience in the NBA, no? This year is this going to change?

5. njkmart06

njkmart06 JBB JustBBall Member

You can't participate in the DC if you have more the 3 years of experience?

If true: Thats BS

6. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

argh!

Must I explain this again?

The 3 year rule is a cover up because guys like Vince, T-Mac, KG (the stars of the league) do not want to participate. So the league had to do something to that people would be less curious.

7. Romination

Romination JBB JustBBall Member

Players in the all star game

I have a question about the all star game player selections. I know that players are voted for, but do coaches get to decide a person to make it or not?

If so, I hope they pick Sam Cassell. So many fans (not you guys, mainly fans who don't take the extra step to participate in forums, fan sites, etc) are ignorant of Cassell, but don't realize that he's the highest scoring PG in the league (Iverson's mainly plays as an SG). Also, he dishes out the 2nd most assists in the west. Sam is also the 7th highest in FG percentage in the NBA, and he's not even a big man! Sam's having his best season, and if he doesn't make the ASG, I'll be annoyed if Gary Payton, Steve Nash, or Steve Francise get ahead of Sam just because of them having more name recognition.

8. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

Yes. The starters are selected by fans, and the rest are selected by the coaches. And if someone can't play because of injury, the commissioner can decide a replacement. And if that player was a starter, than the actual coach of the team gets to decide who moves into the starting lineup.

9. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    It's amazing how guys like Sam Cassell never gets picked to ASGs. They should have another ASG in the summer for people like Cassell and Rod Strickland who deserved to be in All-Star games but never made it.

10. BenWallace3

BenWallace3 JBB JustBBall Member

Cassel is defintally under-rated, but most fans will pick Stevey Franchise at the point, cause he's most famous. He should defintally get in though as a coach's pick.

11. P_Stojakovic16

P_Stojakovic16 JBB JustBBall Member

francis will most likely be named the starting pg, but with marbury gone to the east...another pg like Sam Cassel could slip in to the picture

12. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Unless he takes a big dip, Sam Cassell will likely be at the All-Star game this year.

13. BenWallace3

I just checked NBA.com, and Sam I Am isn't even in the top 10 vote getters.....among Western Conference Guards.....that's messed up.

14. P_Stojakovic16

how has steve nash been doin this year... i havent been following him all that much..good enough to be all star??

15. BenWallace3

Now that Starbury has moved to the East, he has a O.K. chance of getting on, but I doubt he will get on. Someone would be wrongfully left off the roster is Steve Nash makes it. He's only averagin 14 points a game, 3 boards, and 8 assists. Not All-Star Numbers.

16. Romination

Romination JBB JustBBall Member

Yes, that's what I don't like. How come Sam, who averages about 21 PPG and 7 APG won't make it ahead of Steve Nash, who's getting those lower numbers on a team with a worse record. Sam is posting up those numbers, and the Timberwolves are having a great season (as of right now).

17. P_Stojakovic16

did you read what sir desmond wrote....he said that sam cassel will likely be in the allstar game

18. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Romination:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, that's what I don't like. How come Sam, who averages about 21 PPG and 7 APG won't make it ahead of Steve Nash, who's getting those lower numbers on a team with a worse record. Sam is posting up those numbers, and the Timberwolves are having a great season (as of right now).</div>

Sam should be in the all-star, he deserves it.

19. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

The coaches voting is usually about right. Cassell is having a super year, and the coaches aren't going to vote Nash in ahead of Sam if things stay the same. As for the fans vote, that has no real reflection on numbers, it's just popularity - anyone seriously think Franchise is having the best year out of any western guard?

20. scorbutic

scorbutic JBB JustBBall Member

The fans votes are always way off... I can't stand that fans get to vote, it's okay for real sports fans (most likely everybody on this forum) but casual fans who are looking for Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Garnett, drive me crazy... I don't even vote for the big name players anymore because I know they are going to make it, and most of the time I don't even know why I'm voting, it's just going to give a few extra votes to a few deserving players.

Cassell won't make it as a starter, obviously. But he can be dead last in fan voting and still get picked by the coaches, so who cares if he's 10th in the starter voting!! This is my quick outlook of the ASG...

WEST
    --------
    SHAQ
    DUNCAN
    GARNETT
    KOBE
    FRANCIS
    Yao Ming
    Nowitzki
    Stojackovic
    Sprewell
    Bibby

The last 2 spots may be filled by Gasol, Walker, Randolph, Cassell, Marion, Rashard Lewis, Jason Richardson, Carmelo, or Maggette.

EAST
    --------
    WALLACE
    O'NEAL
    CARTER
    McGRADY
    IVERSON
    Eddie Curry
    Kenyon Martin
    Paul Pierce
    Baron Davis
    Jason Kidd

The last 2 spots may be filled by LeBron, Artest, Abdul-Rahim, Billups, Hamilton, or Redd

We all know the starters and then I filled the first 5 bench spots with 1 player per position (Baron isn't a SG, but he'll be in there) the last 2 roster spots are hard to pick so I put the best players I hadn't picked yet and will leave it up to you... in any case that's how I think it will look.