2005 All-Americans

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by N4S, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Vintage:</div><div class="quote_post">What? No Paul Davis? ;-)</div>

Haha, don't give me too much credit. If I made 2nd and 3rd teams then he'd probably be on them. He was a runner-up last year, and the competition level only dropped while his talent level rose. :-)

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">of course, had Devin Harris returned to Wisconsin, he would have made the list.... :mrgreen:</div>

Had Devin Harris returned to Wisconsin, he would have been my guess for Player of the Year and Wisconsin would still be my favorite for #1. Damn you Devin... [​IMG]

Ya' know, I'll just do all my predictions in this thread -

<u>1st Team</u>
    G - Julius Hodge (North Carolina State)
    G - Raymond Felton (University of North Carolina)
    F - Wayne Simien (Kansas University)
    F - Hakim Warrick (Syracuse University)
    C - Sean May (University of North Carolina) <font face="Century Gothic"><font size="1">(Changed my mind. I think Nelson may be better and have better stats next year, but May will most likely get the nod based on his UNC status.) </font> </font>

<u>2nd Team</u>
    G - Chris Paul (Wake Forest)
    G - Kennedy Winston (University of Alabama)
    F - Ryan Gomes (Providence)
    F - Lawrence Roberts (Mississippi State University)
    F - Ronny Turiaf (Gonzaga) <font size="1">(Remember, they didn't go by the g-g-f-f-c formatt last year.)</font>

<u>3rd Team</u>
    G - Rashad McCants (University of North Carolina)
    G - Travis Diener (Marquette)
    G/F - Shariff Chambliss (University of Wisconsin)
    F - Paul Davis (Michigan State University)
    C - Matt Nelson (Colorado State University)

<u>4th Team</u>
    G - Francisco Garcia (University of Louisville)
    G - B.J. Elder (Georgia Tech)
    G - Keith Langford (Kansas University)
    F - Sean Banks (Memphis Jr. High)
    C - Channing Frye (University of Arizona)

<u>Freshman Team</u>
    G - Daniel Gibson (University of Texas)
    G - Darius Washington, Jr. (Memphis Jr. High)
    F - Randolph Morris (University of Kensucky)
    F - LaMarcus Aldridge (University of Texas)
    C - Brian Butch (University of Wisconsin)

Player of the Year -
    Wayne Simien (Kansas University)
    Freshman of the Year -
    Brian Butch (University of Wisconsin)

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I pretty much agree with those right there. Except I might consider Garcia and McCants on higher teams. But, that G spot is so stacked next year it could be hard to tell.

3. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

There we go, Darius Washington repping the C-USA. I really hope he has a great freshman season and a good NCAA career. Though, it would have been sweet if Telfair went to Louisville, the 2 buddies battling against eachother in the conference, but say good bye to that.

I love the players we have in the C-USA. Maxiell may have a huge year in his final season as a bearcat, Rodney Carney and Sean Banks are predicted to have outstanding seasons for Memphis, Francisco Garcia is there, Travis Diener, and everyone else. Hopefully it's a big year for all of them.

4. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MainEvent:</div><div class="quote_post">There we go, Darius Washington repping the C-USA. I really hope he has a great freshman season and a good NCAA career. Though, it would have been sweet if Telfair went to Louisville, the 2 buddies battling against eachother in the conference, but say good bye to that.

I love the players we have in the C-USA. Maxiell may have a huge year in his final season as a bearcat, Rodney Carney and Sean Banks are predicted to have outstanding seasons for Memphis, Francisco Garcia is there, Travis Diener, and everyone else. Hopefully it's a big year for all of them.</div>

Too bad Memphis Jr. High will be the only C-USA team left in a few years because no other conference wanted a school with 0 NCAA championships in any sport and crappy academic standards.

[​IMG]

5. CUSA Fan

Hey now, let's not be disrespecting Memphis. They might surprise a lot this year. Maybe not a championship, but we brought in a couple good recruits, one JuCo player and one HS All-American, that's all I know of so far. But at least they will get a chance to dominante the C-USA. It sucks the schools will be leaving though.

Where's the other teams going again, Big East?

6. Voodoo Child

Disrespecting Memphis is in my blood. I couldn't live without doing it. [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MainEvent:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Where's the other teams going again, Big East?</div>

Big East, ACC, and the A-10.

7. Shard

Shard Hi2u

First Team:

C- Sean May
    F- Ronny Turiaf
    F- Hakim Warrick
    G- Chris Paul
    G- Raymond Felton

Player of the Year: Chris Paul
    Freshman of the Year: Marvin Williams

8. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post">First Team:
    C- Sean May
    F- Ronny Turiaf</div>

Turiaf is a great player, but I don't think he's the caliber that Wayne Simien is. Either way, Simien will get the nod based on his Kansas University status. You know the NCAA loves the big name schools. I am feeling less confident about Sean May as well. You might see Simien or Turiaf take his place on the first team if the NCAA adopts a three forward first team like they have in the past.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Player of the Year: Chris Paul</div>

You guys really overrate Chris Paul. He really didn't even have the best Freshman season last year. Sophomores barely ever make the first team. Jason Richardson couldn't even make the first team his sophomore year, and many people thought he deserved to be player of the year. It's one thing to consider Paul on the first team, but Player of the Year? That's not going to happen; no way.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Freshman of the Year: Marvin Williams</div>

Williams is backing up McCants and Williams. How will he get the playing time to be Freshman of the Year over Butch, Aldridge, and Morris who are all going to be starting and getting a lot more playing time? Also not going to happen.

9. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Williams is backing up McCants and Williams. How will he get the playing time to be Freshman of the Year over Butch, Aldridge, and Morris who are all going to be starting and getting a lot more playing time? Also not going to happen.</div>
    I see Marvin as a point-forward guy, so I think he'll get an adequate amount of playing time at multiple positions. Maybe freshman of the year is a stretch but I believe he'll be up there.

10. CUSA Fan

Chris Paul mainly turned it up big time during Tourney time. I mean yes he was freshman of the year, had a great season, but no way will he get Player of the Year status in my book. Wayne Simien, Hakim Warrick, and others have a better chance at getting Player of the Year. I just don't see Paul being THAT good.

11. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post">I see Marvin as a point-forward guy, so I think he'll get an adequate amount of playing time at multiple positions. Maybe freshman of the year is a stretch but I believe he'll be up there.</div>

North Carolina has Raymond Felton running the point, Rashad McCants at the two guard, and Jawad Williams play the 3. Those are all three positions that Marvin plays. I don't see him getting much playing time over any of those guys.

12. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I think skillwise he is capable of starting over them but winning a spot from a "veteran" may be hard. Maybe he'll impress in practice.

13. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post">I think skillwise he is capable of starting over them but winning a spot from a "veteran" may be hard. Maybe he'll impress in practice.</div>

There's no way. Skillwise, all three are probably more talented at this point as well. He may have more raw talent, but how can you say he's more talented than McCants? Rashad McCants is one of college basketball's ten best players. No incoming Freshman will ever start over McCants unless he is Jordan-like. The very idea is mindnumbing.

14. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">North Carolina has Raymond Felton running the point, Rashad McCants at the two guard, and Jawad Williams play the 3. Those are all three positions that Marvin plays. I don't see him getting much playing time over any of those guys.</div>

Look at it another way.

PG- 40 minutes
    SG- 40 minutes
    SF- 40 minutes

If Felton, McCants, and Williams each play 30 minutes, then there is 10 minutes available at each position. Meaning Marvin would also get 30 minutes in order to produce quality stats.

It never works perfectly like that.....but there is plenty of PT to go around.

15. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Does anyone know if Greg Stiesma (sp?) is getting redshirted this year?

I would think so, since he wasn't as highly touted as Butch was, and Butch was redshirted last year.

Stiesma went to Randolph, and got a full ride to Wisconsin. Another 7'0." The difference being, Steisma is more of a low post oriented guy, while Butch can step out and hit from long range.

16. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">There's no way. Skillwise, all three are probably more talented at this point as well. He may have more raw talent, but how can you say he's more talented than McCants? Rashad McCants is one of college basketball's ten best players. No incoming Freshman will ever start over McCants unless he is Jordan-like. The very idea is mindnumbing.</div>
    Yea, but Marvin is already being considered a top 5 pick in the draft next year and he most likely would have been taken in the first round this year. If you're judging skill on his play at the college level then there is no way he starts over them because he hasn't played at that level...but I think talent and skill wise he could get the starting nod halfway through the season or something.

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea, but Marvin is already being considered a top 5 pick in the draft next year and he most likely would have been taken in the first round this year. If you're judging skill on his play at the college level then there is no way he starts over them because he hasn't played at that level...but I think talent and skill wise he could get the starting nod halfway through the season or something.</div>

That's raw talent. Scouts see his talent and know that if his game was developed to it's full potential by the proper coaches then he could be a hell of a player. That doesn't mean that he could go toe to toe with the best college players.

18. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

It's funny how Wave puts Paul Davis on his team and not Shelden Williams who could easily abuse him in the post.

19. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">It's funny how Wave puts Paul Davis on his team and not Shelden Williams who could easily abuse him in the post.</div>

Please, that's like apples and oranges.

20. CUSA Fan

How about Chris Thomas? Will he give anyone a competition at making All-American team? He was going to enter the draft, but made a smart decision to return.