2007 Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jonah, Sep 9, 2007.

1. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I watched the game, New Zealand blew it for themselves. The ref didn't call things against New Zealand either, so I don't see how anyone can complain. France, like I, know that if you cut into the All Blacks'confidence they will fall like a sack of rocks. You could see that well enough in their kicking.</p>

</p>

I love how the Frenchwalked upfor the Haka. That was great.</p>

</p>

So anyway, I told you so months ago.</p>

2. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

South Africa through and a very enjoyable match i must say.</p>

3. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Yeah that was a good one, Fiji shown exactly why I picked them to go through the quarterfinals. They could've won the match, but a couple calls didn't go their way and cost them the match. Not actually bad calls, just calls that didn't fall in their favor. You have to give them respect to put out that performance despite not having their top scoring threat Nicky Little available due to injury. I was hoping they'd cause a biggestupset in RWC history.</p>

4. NTC

NTC Active Member

5. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

haha! you've gotta love it when a badass lets his hair down every once in a while. Good form!</p>

6. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M Two One)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

I watched the game, New Zealand blew it for themselves. The ref didn't call things against New Zealand either, so I don't see how anyone can complain. France, like I, know that if you cut into the All Blacks'confidence they will fall like a sack of rocks. You could see that well enough in their kicking.</p>

</p>

I love how the Frenchwalked upfor the Haka. That was great.</p>

</p>

So anyway, I told you so months ago.</p>

</div></p>

</p>

Easily. I don't expect thereferees to be perfect, they'll misssome infingementsor make bad calls ineach game. It's rugby after all, I can accept that. But the loss is justhard to stomach even with the All Blacks' bad perfomance when 7 perhaps 14 French points came directly as a result of badrefereeing. Firstly the McAlister sin bin, I don't even think a penalty was justified there. Especially when a similar thing happens20 minutes later with no consequences.Wayne Barnes (ref) described it as "cynical" before dishing the yellow.</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Although the All Blacks played badly and did not deserve to win, the worst performance of the night came from referee Wayne Barnes. The sin-binning of McAlister was comical and perhaps cost the All Blacks the match, and somehow all three officials missed an obvious forward pass leading up to Jauzion's try.</div> ~ Sportingo</p>

Then there's Luke McAlister himself,</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"I thought it (sinbin) was pretty harsh to be honest. I was just holding my ground. I didn't go out of my way to take him out in any bad manner. I just held my line and he ran into me."</p>

McAlister had another disagreement with young English referee Wayne Barnes in the dying minutes when he unsuccessfully attempted a dropped goal from nearly 50m out.</p>

He said this wasn't the panicked action that some might believe.</p>

"We had the advantage, the ref had his arm out so I just thought I would have a stab at it, thinking that we would come back for the advantage. But obviously he thought the advantage was over."</div></p>

Following the sin bin, France landed a penalty from the sin bin spot. But they already had an advantage so I'm not disputing those points. Then they also scored a converted try soon after, we'll never know if they would've got that had the AB's had 15 players like they should have.</p>

Worse still, the forward pass the led to the deciding try. The video should speak for itself,</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8C678NDtI...ated&search=</p>

No one can deny that was blatantly forward, the refs wont get every forward pass but being as important as it was it's incredibly frustrating.</p>

Grant Fox said it best, "France willadvance, but Wayne Barnes wont".</p>

In saying that though, some people aretaking ittoo far. I've already seen about four Wayne Barnes hate sites and there's been death threats directed at him.</p>

Henry will be gone as coach of the AB's as well, even with a 38 from 43 coaching record. I don't like Henry (Aucklander) but for once I actually think of the All Blacks as unlucly, as opposed to chokers. They did enough to win, butthere's no changing what happened and it's timeto move on.</p>

Not to take anything away from the French though, their defense was spectacular.</p>

7. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I still don't see the issue except the forward pass. The All Blacks got away with as much if not more then the French did in that match especially in terms of dirty shots and hits.I watched the match a few times to even see every point of the action. As for the yellow card, you've got to be kidding me, honestly. Not only do I agree with it, but all the commentators did as well, one of which was pissed and going on saying, "Get him off the pitch, now ... thank you very much! 10 minutes is not enough for you." I only had respect for a few All Blacks players on the field that night and Richie McCaw was one of them. I know there will be constant chatter about how the refs cost you guys the game, but that's going on over there as over here and in Europe from what I see no one has a problem with how the game went about. The real reaction to the loss should really be knowing that your poor players (honestly, I feel sorry for them) had to sit out an entire domestic season of rugby to train for the RWC for nothing. That is what should be complained about because that was the biggest shot in the arm when they lost to France knowing that they've nowlost so much. I know I won't sway your decision on this, butI figure I should post what I had seen. Game over, looking forward to England vs France and South Africa vs Argentina.</p>

Final prediction:</p>

France vs Argentina - rematch of the opening match at the same location. Seems inevitable.</p>

</p>

Hey btw dude, what are your views on the next Super 14 season and do you plan to follow the Heineken Cup this year? Biarritz Olympique have been retooling and it looks like they'll be concentrating on combining their numerous veteranplayers withnew young talent to compete. You can see their best 15 in my profile.</p>

8. Stockton

Stockton JBB

I'm expecting a South Africa vs. France final. I want to see Argentina win though. The IRB announced it wants them in the Tri Nations, which would be great for rugby in Argentina. As much as the RWC 2007 might suggest otherwise, they'd struggle somewhat initially. But over time, they'll get stronger if some financial issues can be sorted.</p>

When Graeme Henry goes (he was actually a good coach for the AB's with 38 / 43 wins, but a quarter final exit certainly wont cut it), Robbie Deans will be the leading candidate for AB coach. That should make the Crusaders weaker and open up the competition a bit more,</p>

<table class="wikitable" style="text-align: center">
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="12">Super 12 Results<sup class="reference" id="_ref-lassen_0">[72]</sup></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>Year</th>
    <th>Played</th>
    <th>Win</th>
    <th>Draw</th>
    <th>Loss</th>
    <th>PF</th>
    <th>PA</th>
    <th>Diff</th>
    <th>BP</th>
    <th>Points</th>
    <th>Place</th>
    <th>Playoffs</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>1996</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>2</td>
    <td>1</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>234</td>
    <td>378</td>
    <td>-144</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>13</td>
    <td>12th</td>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>1997</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>5</td>
    <td>1</td>
    <td>5</td>
    <td>272</td>
    <td>235</td>
    <td>37</td>
    <td>4</td>
    <td>26</td>
    <td>6th</td>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>1998</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>340</td>
    <td>260</td>
    <td>80</td>
    <td>9</td>
    <td>41</td>
    <td>1st</td>
    <td>(defeated Auckland Blues in final)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>1999</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>7</td>
    <td>1</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>324</td>
    <td>262</td>
    <td>62</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>33</td>
    <td>1st</td>
    <td>(defeated Otago Highlanders in final)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2000</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>369</td>
    <td>293</td>
    <td>76</td>
    <td>7</td>
    <td>39</td>
    <td>1st</td>
    <td>(defeated ACT Brumbies in final)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2001</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>4</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>7</td>
    <td>307</td>
    <td>331</td>
    <td>-24</td>
    <td>7</td>
    <td>23</td>
    <td>10th</td>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2002</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>469</td>
    <td>264</td>
    <td>205</td>
    <td>7</td>
    <td>51</td>
    <td>1st</td>
    <td>(defeated ACT Brumbies in final)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2003</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>3</td>
    <td>358</td>
    <td>263</td>
    <td>95</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>40</td>
    <td>2nd</td>
    <td>(lost final to Blues)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2004</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>7</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>4</td>
    <td>345</td>
    <td>303</td>
    <td>42</td>
    <td>6</td>
    <td>34</td>
    <td>2nd</td>
    <td>(lost final to ACT Brumbies)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2005</th>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>9</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>2</td>
    <td>459</td>
    <td>281</td>
    <td>178</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>44</td>
    <td>1st</td>
    <td>(defeated Waratahs in final)</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>
    </p>

<span class="editsection">[edit]</span> <span class="mw-headline">Super 14 placings</span></p>

<table class="wikitable" style="text-align: center">
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="12">Super 14 Results</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>Year</th>
    <th>Played</th>
    <th>Win</th>
    <th>Draw</th>
    <th>Loss</th>
    <th>PF</th>
    <th>PA</th>
    <th>Diff</th>
    <th>BP</th>
    <th>Points</th>
    <th>Place</th>
    <th>Playoffs</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2006</th>
    <td>13</td>
    <td>11</td>
    <td>1</td>
    <td>1</td>
    <td>412</td>
    <td>210</td>
    <td>202</td>
    <td>5</td>
    <td>51</td>
    <td>1st</td>
    <td>(defeated Hurricanes in final)</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <th>2007</th>
    <td>13</td>
    <td>8</td>
    <td>0</td>
    <td>5</td>
    <td>382</td>
    <td>235</td>
    <td>147</td>
    <td>10</td>
    <td>42</td>
    <td>3rd</td>
    <td>(Lost to the Bulls in semi-final)</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>
    </p>

Deans became coach of the Crusaders in 2000. I hope they stay strong though, they're my team</p>

Ican't watch the Heineken Cup so I really onlylook atthe scores onthe internet as it is. </p>

9. NTC

NTC Active Member

GOOD-BYE FRANCE!!</p>

EnglandbookthemselvesaFinalsappearancewitha14-9winoverthefrogslastnight. I'mjustshockedtosaytheleast.</p>

10. Stockton

Stockton JBB

England 14 - 9 France. This world cup just gets more and more unpredictable. If anyone picked England to make the final after the thrashing South Africa dished out to them, well done. They actually scored a try too. They're only one win away from repeating as champs, who would've thought it?</p>

11. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT, COMING FORTH TO CARRY ME HOME</p>

We've done it - we've actually made it to the Final. Even though I don't like rugby particularly, this is still great, lol. Problem is, we'll get spanked by South Africa again, unless we can do something pretty special.</p>

12. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

Well With Wilko in form we could do it. And with inspired performances from player like Sackey and Vickery we just might beat South Africa or the Argies.</p>

13. DDRickyDD

DDRickyDD SportsTwo Member.

Student
    Yes, England played brilliantly last night. England never gave up!</p>

14. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    That game last night was terribly played by both sides. An ugly game, but congrats to England on making it through! I'd like to see England vs. Argentina knowing the two countries hatred of one another.</p>

15. NTC

NTC Active Member

The 'Boks smashed Argentina 37-13 last night. England vs. South Africa final!

16. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    That's sad. The IRB predicted that if England face South Africa in the final that the TV ratings would be extremely low. I wouldn't be surprised as people want to see something different.</p>

17. DDRickyDD

DDRickyDD SportsTwo Member.

Student
    Congratuations to South Africa worthy winners.</p>

18. downunderwonder

downunderwonder You have now entered area 51!

dammit the bloody saffas won... like the average south african doesnt brag enough... haha</p>

well done by them. Both teams in the super14 final, best form all year... undisputed.</p>