2008 NBA Draft Live

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by M Two One, Jun 24, 2008.

1. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

This thread is to discuss everything that goes on during the 2008 NBA Draft as it happens. The SportsTwo staff will be updating the Draft board below as the picks take place along with some nifty little icons I created to boost appeal. Also, trades will be posted to go along with the picks among other things as they happen.

Keep the conversation alive and remember that this is a live thread! This means during the Draft only will you be able to make posts like you would during a game discussion thread. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this term, it basically means you can post as if it were a chat room. If it follows the thread and it isn't stupid or unneeded your post will stand. That is the point of the live thread to go along with continuous updates to keep you informed.

Regular pre-Draft and post-Draft chat in the thread is open today until 24 hours after the 2008 NBA Draft has ended. This way, you will all be able to post your predictions, give your own analysis and discuss what is currently happening and what has gone on afterward.

<span style="font-family:Impact"><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">First Round</span></span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Derrick Rose / G / Memphis</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Michael Beasley / F / Kansas State</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">OJ Mayo / F / USC</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Minnesota and traded to Memphis in eight player deal</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Russell Westbrook / G / UCLA</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Kevin Love / F / UCLA</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Memphis and traded to Minnesota in eight player deal</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Danilo Gallinari / F / Olimpia Milano (Italy)</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Eric Gordon / G / Indiana</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Joe Alexander / F / West Virginia</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">DJ Augustin / G / Texas</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Brook Lopez / C / Stanford</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Jerryd Bayless / G / Arizona</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Indiana and traded to Portland</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Jason Thompson / F / Rider</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Brandon Rush / G / Kansas</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Portland and traded to Indiana</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Anthony Randolph / F / LSU</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Robin Lopez / C / Stanford</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Marreese Speights / C / Florida</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Roy Hibbert / C / Georgetown</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Toronto and traded to Indiana as part of the Jermaine O'Neal trade</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">JaVale McGee / C / Nevada</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">JJ Hickson / F / NC State</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Alexis Ajinca / F / Hyeres-Toulon (France)</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Ryan Anderson / F / California</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Courtney Lee / G / Western Kentuckyy</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Kosta Koufos / C / Ohio State</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Serge Ibaka / F / CB L'Hospitalet (Congo)</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Nicolas Batum / G / Le Mans Sarthe Basket (France)</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Houston and traded to Portland</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">George Hill / G / Indiana Purdue</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Darrell Arthur / F / Kansas</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Portland and traded to Houston and then Memphis</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Donte' Greene / F / Syracuse</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Memphis and traded to Houston</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">DJ White / F / Indiana</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Detroit and traded to Seattle</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">JR Giddens / G / New Mexico</span>

2. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <span style="font-family:Impact"><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">Second Round</span></span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Nikola Pekovic / F / Panathinaikos BC (Montenegro)</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Walter Sharpe / F / UAB</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Seattle and traded to Detroit</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Joey Dorsey / F / Memphis</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Portland and traded to Houston</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Mario Chalmers / G / Kansas</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Minnesota and traded to Miami</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">DeAndre Jordan / C / Texas A&M</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Omer Asik / C / Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey)</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Portland and traded to Chicago</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Luc Richard Mbah A Moute / F / UCLA</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Kyle Weaver / G / Washington State</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Sonny Weems / F / Arkansas</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Chicago and traded to Portland and then Denver</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Chris Douglas-Roberts / G / Memphis</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Nathan Jawai / C / Cairns Taipans (Australia)</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Indiana and traded to Toronto as part of the Jermaine O'Neal trade</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Sean Singletary / G / Virginia</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Patrick Ewing Jr. / F / Georgtown</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Ante Tomic / C / KK Zagreb (Croatia)</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Goran Dragic / G / Union Olimpija (Slovenia)</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by San Antonio and traded to Phoenix</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Trent Plaisted / F / BYU</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Seattle and traded to Detroit</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Bill Walker / F / Kansas State</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Washington and traded to Boston</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Malik Hairston / G / Oregon</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Phoenix and traded to San Antonio</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Richard Hendrix / F / Alabama</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">DeVon Hardin / C / California</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Shan Foster / G / Vanderbilt</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Darnell Jackson / F / Kansas</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Miami and traded to Cleveland</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Tadija Dragicevic / F / KK Crvena Zvezda (Serbia)</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Maarty Leunen / F / Oregon</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Mike Taylor / G / Iowa State</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Portland and traded to LA Clippers</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Sasha Kaun / C / Kansas</span> <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">selected by Seattle and traded to Cleveland</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">James Gist / F / Maryland</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Joe Crawford / G / Kentucky</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Deron Washington / F / Virginia Tech</span>

[​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Semih Erden / C / Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey)</span>

3. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    To get this discussion moving pre-Draft I think making Lottery predictions would be a good idea. You can give analysis about your pick and discuss, but you don't have to write a lot. However, it would help to explain your selections in small detail at least just to help everyone get a general idea of why you believe each player will land at a specific team. This will allow the discussions to advance forward. I'll begin with my selections and please feel free to use the small icons as I have provided if you like. Note that I have made my selections based on what player I believe each team seriously needs and what is available to them when they are on the clock.

<div align="center">[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Derrick Rose</span>
    Height: 6'3" (191 cm)
    Weight: 190 lbs (86.5 kg)
    College: Memphis (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    Athleticism seems to be the biggest plus for Derrick Rose, but that’s surely not all. He may likely be the most exciting all around player in this draft and his size as a point guard gives him an upside over his opposition in most cases. He’s quick and loves to drive to the paint even for a freakish slam, although he tends to turn over the ball too much and in the NBA this could lead to problems. As with Beasley though, Rose’s upside is far too great to look down at this because he’s a terrific defender as well. The thing I like most about him though is that no matter what he does with the ball he often tends to finish what he’s started. He finishes with ease even under the most intense pressure and players that have this ability don’t come around too often. He’s unselfish with the ball and knowing the Chicago Bulls and their style of play over the past few years this seems to fit the bill perfectly. The question is, do they really need a point guard right now? My answer is yes, but will they take him? Now all signs are pointing to a yes. This is great for the player though as he and Wade may not play well together due to their similar exciting playing styles.

A great player for: Chicago or Miami (There is no possible chance of him not going first or second in this draft)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Michael Beasley</span>
    Height: 6'9" (206 cm)
    Weight: 235 lbs (107 kg)
    College: Kansas State (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    Why would anybody pass up on a quick and strong power forward that can create scoring chances from numerous points on the court? I suppose we’ll have to ask John Paxson that if he ends up passing on Michael Beasley out of Kansas State with the first pick. However, I’m not even close to the tip of the iceberg as the kid has so much talent to list. He has a nice shooting range to go with his strength, which if he utilizes more frequently I could see him easily faking out opposition and driving to the net for an easy slam. He’s a confident young player at only 19 years of age and fights hard on both ends of the court even though he still needs to improve his defensive awareness. Improvement in all aspects shouldn’t be an issue with Beasley in the slightest with a confident coaching staff to lead him. The Bulls have craved for a power forward the past couple of seasons and Michael Beasley fits the bill for the franchise more then any other player available, but it is apparent that GM John Paxson and his team will select homegrown talent Derrick Rose.

A great player for: Chicago or Miami (There is no possible chance of him not going first or second in this draft)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Brook Lopez</span>
    Height: 7' (213 cm)
    Weight: 260 lbs (118 kg)
    College: Stanford (sophomore)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    The best center in the draft will still be available at the third pick. Lopez’s size, strength and defensive ability in the post is what shines the most, but he could become a potent offensive center as well. In order for that to happen in the NBA he will have to create different chances for himself though as he often gives up on trying new techniques to score far too easily. This shows me a bit of laziness and it shows us all in his quickness on the court. He could be in even better shape then he currently is, but with the right coaching staff he could easily become a beast in the paint by scoring at will and then dropping back to play unbelievable defense down low for his squad. He’s quite bright and he has the talent, but he’ll have to work harder. Minnesota won’t pass up on drafting Lopez because as much as I’m sure they’d like to take a player like OJ Mayo there is no way in hell they can play this game without a center. Right now they are drained at that position with their best center (and only true center) being Michael Doleac. Lopez fits the bill, if they pass him up it is going to be a long 2008/09 season for the fans in Minneapolis.

A great player for: Minnesota, Charlotte and Indiana (Charlotte will easily take him with their selection if he isn’t selected by Minnesota)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">OJ Mayo</span>
    Height: 6'4" (193 cm)
    Weight: 200 lbs (91 kg)
    College: USC (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    With a lot of confidence and personality, OJ Mayo will give any team a needed boost not only in sales, but on the score sheet as well. He’s a very creative and strong player that can often score at will even though he isn’t the quickest guard available. Mayo is intelligent on the court and creates dozens of shooting opportunities, just only solo apparently. He’s been noted as being selfish and doesn’t like to be second to other players. However, many players come into the league with this type of poor mark on their names and turn out to be sufficient team players. People also have to realize that he was relied upon too much at USC and when transitioning to the NBA he may be a different type of player then many expect. The only issue I really noticed is that he goes through dry spells offensively due to poor shot selection and a limited ability to break the opposition defense, but knowing his high basketball IQ he will only become more consistently effective over time. He has excellent vision and with any player in any sport possessing this he will be able to create more opportunities for his team to score. Something I believe a lot of people have forgot to recognize. All-in-all, he will be a great pick for Seattle if they do select him, just don’t be surprised if Mayo ends up at Minnesota or Memphis instead.

A great player for: Minnesota, Seattle, Memphis, New York .. (Any team interested in a player that will fill seats, which really means anyone)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Kevin Love</span>
    Height: 6’9” (206 cm)
    Weight: 255 lbs (116 kg)
    College: UCLA (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    Without a doubt, Love has a great approach to the game and is a gifted basketball player. It is difficult to put him this low, especially when you consider how good of a passer he is for a big man and the fact that he has solid post skills. Even though Love isn’t a true center he can be a go-to player because he’s good at faking out defenders and can get up high for slams and blocks. The thing that I don’t like is that despite the fact that he has high intensity he could have a higher fitness level because he runs out of steam fairly quickly. From the look of his skill set and high productivity, I think he will likely become a double-double average player. I don’t think he’ll be averaging twenty points per game, but twelve per game or so seems about right and high stats in rebounding. His great ball handling skills for his position give him an edge over others. It almost seems like the ball is being magnetically pulled to his palms. While Memphis understandably has high hopes for this player, I don’t know if they should take him unless OJ Mayo has already been picked by another team. After Memphis it seems that Charlotte will be the best fit for him.

A great player for: Memphis and Charlotte (One of the two will take Love)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Danilo Gallinari</span>
    Height: 6’9” (206 cm)
    Weight: 210 lbs (95.5 kg)
    Team: Olimpia Milano (Italy)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    A mature and versatile international player that is young and can play multiple positions, so what’s not to love? Ok, so in the past many young international players have entered the draft with a big ticket on their shoulders and ended up being busts or have yet to break out. My take, don’t judge the player until he can prove his worth. Italian Gallinari played with basketball club Olimpia Milano last season and was an exceptional talent with the ability to play all five positions on the court with no issues what-so-ever. In the NBA, he won’t be able to survive as a center, but at least the option is there under dire situations for the team that selects him. He can be aggressive and has excellent vision for his age. He’s able to crash the net with some strength and draw fouls inside and out. My only concern is that he isn’t a consistent three-point shooter and likely never will be. This could cause some concern since he’s likely to be utilized as a small forward at the NBA level. The reason I think he’s going to the Knicks? Well for one, he’s a great player with a lot of promise and maturity at only 19 years old. Second, his father has a good relationship with current Knicks head coach Mike D’Antoni.

A great player for: New York, Milwaukee and New Jersey (I can’t see him dropping to New Jersey, but if he does he would likely be the biggest steal)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Jerryd Bayless</span>
    Height: 6'3" (191 cm)
    Weight: 200 lbs (91 kg)
    College: Arizona (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    When you read about Jerryd Bayless, it isn’t the same as watching him play his game. He probably has one of the best jump shots I’ve ever seen and I honestly haven’t been able to watch him play as much as I’d like, so I’m sure he’s even better then I initially believe. He’s incredibly fluid and very confident. There is a kick in his step that allows him to run the floor smoothly with little effort. He isn’t a fantastic defender, but a young team could use him as a counter-attacking player that sets up great position on the defense in order to run the floor for his team to score. This kid is truly NBA ready and is a complete offensive package that can’t be passed up if available to you, even if he can be a bit selfish at times. The Sonics organization will look long at him long and hard for their fourth selection, but don’t be surprised if they pass him up for another player. Knowing the Sonics on draft night, that wouldn’t actually be a surprise. I see him heading to Los Angeles.

A great player for: Seattle, New York, LA Clippers, New Jersey .. (Any team in need of a high quality point guard)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Joe Alexander</span>
    Height: 6’8” (203 cm)
    Weight: 230 lbs (104.5 kg)
    College: West Virginia (junior)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    I’ve been a big fan of Joe Alexander and his talent since I first seen him play a few years ago. He’s one of the players I’m most familiar with in this draft and although I know he can do well in the NBA over some other top players, I still don’t think he will be picked higher then eighth to Milwaukee. He has a lot of upside to his ability and always seems to have the endurance to keep going on and on through games. He’s a strong small forward that has a nice touch and a good shot at short range to go along with excellent athletic ability and unselfish play. Joe also has the abilities to play as a power forward if needed, again with his strength and size, and has an aggressive approach at both ends of the floor. The thing I actually like the most is that he has a wonderful attitude and works well with everyone on his team. This will work wonders at the NBA level, but the downside is that he will need time to perfect his game and improve some other aspects. You can sometimes find him unsure of himself on the offensive end and he needs more range in his shot.

A great player for: Milwaukee, New Jersey and Indiana (I can’t see Milwaukee passing up on him because if they do New Jersey would love to have him)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Eric Gordon</span>
    Height: 6’4” (193 cm)
    Weight: 215 lbs (98 kg)
    College: Indiana (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    Although Eric Gordon had a difficult few months this year at Indiana, I don’t think that will be what hurts his position in the draft. He is undersized, though very strong and cannot defend other guards at his position that well. That being said, this kid is great at scoring all-around. Not only does he have a quick release shot that is very accurate, but he’s able to drive to the rim by powering his way through thanks to his great athleticism and large frame for his height. Another plus is that he’s a go-to player that has the mentality to lead his teammates at a young age. By no means do I believe he will come in to any team and become the team captain, but his maturity will help solidify good grounds with the coaching staff and the rest of his teammates as well. The Charlotte Bobcats will be lucky to have a player of this type of talent drop to the ninth position in the draft. Thanks to other teams having different needs, it looks as though Gordon will be selected in the draft as trade bait.

A great player for: Memphis, LA Clippers, Indiana and New Jersey (He could fit in well with at least half of the teams in the top 14)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Russell Westbrook</span>
    Height: 6’3” (190.5 cm)
    Weight: 187 lbs (85 kg)
    College: UCLA (sophomore)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    When you’re in need of a great team player that will work his butt off for your organization on both ends of the floor (who doesn’t need this?), then look no further for Russell Westbrook. He’s a lengthy point guard that can defend both backcourt oppositions and run the floor efficiently to create scoring opportunities. Westbrook has excellent anticipation on defense and reads plays very well. He may likely end up being a NBA all-defensive team player in no time at all. Similar to Joe Alexander, Westbrook listens to his coach’s every word and plays for his team first, not for himself. He’s an ideal point guard for a team looking for someone that can provide solid passing to better offensive players. This is definitely something that the New Jersey Nets could really use now that Jason Kidd has left the organization some months ago. With his high energy and defensive skill I can see him fitting in perfectly with the Nets and running the floor with players like Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson on counter-attacks off of steals. A match made in heaven?

A great player for: New York, LA Clippers, New Jersey and Indiana (With Bayless off the board early, Westbrook will likely fall to the Nets and they should take him)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">DJ Augustin</span>
    Height: 5’11” (180 cm)
    Weight: 175 lbs (79.5 kg)
    College: Texas (sophomore)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    Here is another player that we could see averaging a double-double sometime through his career, hopefully sooner then later. This time though I’m not talking points and rebounds; replace rebounds with assists. DJ Augustin is a true point guard with an all-around equal game. He can create scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates thanks to incredible quickness and tricky ball handling skills. He has a solid mid-range game and doesn’t turn the ball over much compared to other high ranked guards in this draft and is extremely committed. Many skeptics complain about his size, but I’m honestly not worried in the slightest. Despite being only 5’11” he does weigh 175 lbs and with that weight at his height it points to solid muscle mass and an incredible fitness level. Though he will honestly have some trouble from time to time with a few larger shooting guards, he shouldn’t be too troubled by other point guards. Augustin is yet another player available in this draft with great court vision and a high basketball IQ. Many analysts have said it best so far that he is a real winner.

A great player for: LA Clippers, New Jersey and Indiana (He will all likely fall to Indiana with larger guards like Bayless and Westbrook to be taken higher)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Anthony Randolph</span>
    Height: 6’11” (211 cm)
    Weight: 220 lbs (100 kg)
    College: LSU (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    A lengthy, yet very skinny, forward with a lot of potential, Anthony Randolph is a left-handed shooter with explosiveness and a quick step to his game. I’m honestly not a big fan of his, but a lot of people have him in the lottery and some teams are looking really hard at him for a possible upside to his game. What I don’t like is that he takes a lot of poor chances and doesn’t follow the team. He will often try to create opportunities to score instead of passing the ball around and then ends up turning the ball over because he didn’t anticipate other possibilities. At the NBA level he will be disciplined often for those mistakes. For an upside to his game from my point of view is that he’s very young and can get up to block shots like Tayshaun Prince. Not that I’m comparing the two players in the slightest, just to get that out of the way. He can run the floor well and could be used as a player to get up for counter-attacks after opposition defensive collapses. With his youth, he wouldn’t be a bad selection for Sacramento at this point as it appears the team is in rebuild mode.

A great player for: Sacramento (Any team looking to bring in young players that can be improved over time; a team currently rebuilding with little options in the draft)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Nicolas Batum</span>
    Height: 6’8” (203 cm)
    Weight: 214 lbs (97 kg)
    Team: Le Mans Sarthe Basket (France)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    Where do I start with Europe’s most promising young talent? That’s right, forget the skeptics. For years he’s been touted as all likely being one of the better players in the NBA’s future and I still see him as that. Some say I’m biased, but that couldn’t be any further from the truth. Batum has excellent size and potential. He’s a defensive monster at his level and with more strength over time he could become the best defender in the NBA at his peak. He doesn’t like to play out of his element and needs to become comfortable with not only his teammates, but with how the team plays in general. This can be considered a downside, but I don’t think so. Once he’s able to fit in and grasp the team’s tactics at full capacity, he can and will go off offensively. He’s not the type of player to bang bodies, but that’s because he’s also a playmaker. His vision allows him to see the floor exceptionally and pass the ball with great skill when he cannot break the defense himself. He has a quick first step and can beat the quickest defenders out there, even when double teamed. The downside is that he should try to break defensive traps more often since he has the skill to do so. He needs to be hardened and will require plenty of time to adapt to the NBA level. He desperately needs strength training. I’d say he can reach a power point within a year or two, but he needs to be on the right team. Portland would be an excellent place for him to adapt more quickly to reach his full potential at this level.

A great player for: Sacramento, Portland and Memphis (These three look to the best organizations to give him a chance at reaching his full potential at a quicker pace)

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Donte Greene</span>
    Height: 6’10” (208 cm)
    Weight: 222 lbs (101 kg)
    College: Syracuse (freshman)

[​IMG]

<u>Details</u>
    Size is the best way to look at Donte Greene. He’s a lanky forward that is considered to be in-between a small forward and power forward position lock. He is very underweight to be a power forward, but doesn’t have the skill to guard elite small forwards effectively, so I understand the dilemma a bit. On the upside, he does possess a nice pull-up jumper, can block shots well and has the ability to get his shot off effectively in difficult situations. His length allows him to easily pressure smaller or non-aggressive defenders for an easy basket. The downside is that he’s not patient when it comes to scoring and will take too many chances with poor shot selections from the three. He doesn’t look up when he has control of the ball, which shows that he’s not confident with his dribbling ability. Donte is an inconsistent shooter and lacks tenacity and confidence. Golden State may be willing to take him with the last lottery selection, but I think they could do better then a likely project. This last selection is up in the air as it just depends if the franchise is willing to select the best center available at this point or go with Greene and see what happens with strong coaching and care.

A great player for: Sacramento and Golden State (A player that will require a lot of patience that may pay off in the end with strong conditioning)</div>

4. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    looks like Beasley could fall to #3 to Minnesota, by the rumors

5. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

I doubt Beasley falls past two. Miami should trade down if they don't like him.

6. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I'd like to get your opinion M21 (and anyone else as well) about Boston's 30th pick? Who do you see them picking?

On another note, didn't know that Minnesota changed their logo. haha

I will only predict the top 3, Chicago takes Rose, Miami take Beasley, and Minnesota end up with Lopez.

7. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Boston should take Mario Chalmers if he actually falls that far. I doubt it, but if he's available they should select him.

8. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    Portland now has the 27th pick, not New Orleans.

I haven't read it too closely yet, but in the teams interested in Batum, you listed three teams but said four are could be good fits. Is there a fourth team?

9. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    I see you already found the Batum error. I like Batum, but I don't think I'd pick him at 13, maybe later in the draft.

10. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gambitnut @ Jun 24 2008, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I see you already found the Batum error. I like Batum, but I don't think I'd pick him at 13, maybe later in the draft.</div>

Agreed, Batum isnt a lottery pick.

11. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

Westbrook will go to the Clippers or the Knicks.

12. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gambitnut @ Jun 24 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Portland now has the 27th pick, not New Orleans.

I haven't read it too closely yet, but in the teams interested in Batum, you listed three teams but said four are could be good fits. Is there a fourth team?</div>

When I started I placed Toronto as a fourth team, but I wanted to keep lottery teams only in the lists so I removed them, but I forgot to change the number. I also changed the NO pick to Portland. As for Batum at 13, he has the talent to be a lottery pick and I like him that much to place him that high because he's a fantastic young player. In reality due to recent events I'm not so sure, but I'm keeping him there anyway since Portland and Sacramento are interested in picking him. I also have wanted him in Portland for the past two season because I'm certain that he will excel the quickest there.

I'm also going to assume that none of you have ever seen Batum play, as with the majority of mock sites on the web too. In any case, this isn't a thread to simply post my view, but to also get all of yours as well.

13. JFizzleRaider

I'm actually sure a lot of us have seen him play at least once. That being the Nike Hoops Summit 2007

14. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Videos for members not familiar with the top foreign players this year

Danilo Gallinari
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d29sWRV7H-Q&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d29sWRV7H-Q&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Nicolas Batum
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PT7SV6qAGGQ&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PT7SV6qAGGQ&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Nikola Pekovic
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZuPVqTk3ys&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZuPVqTk3ys&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Alexis Ajinca
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MK2ysUYNY8E&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MK2ysUYNY8E&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Omer Asık
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/giGOCxw1k4I&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/giGOCxw1k4I&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Goran Dragic
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/00gbhG0zA5k&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/00gbhG0zA5k&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Serge Ibaka
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZDgyAL7_gA&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZDgyAL7_gA&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

15. JFizzleRaider

highlight videos show nothing.

16. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

That Ajinca kids been a fast riser from workouts but I know absolutely nothing about him. I'm always skeptical about prospects like that.

17. JFizzleRaider

18. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Where did M point to those videos as a reason why those players are good? He just posted them to show us what they're capable of. Calm down a bit, maybe?

19. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jun 25 2008, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That Ajinca kids been a fast riser from workouts but I know absolutely nothing about him. I'm always skeptical about prospects like that.</div>

I'm not sure about him either, which I think you personally may find odd considering how much I follow foreign leagues. [​IMG]

I suppose because I haven't really been able to watch the French league at all this season being in the US all year. I've only been able to concentrate on big Euroleague matches for the most part.

20. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

His stats are terrible man. The whole situation reminds me a lot of Skita/Darko.