2012 Mock Draft (Blazers): Pick #3

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Ed O, Jun 10, 2012.

?

Who would the Blazers take at number 2?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2012.
  1. Bradley Beal

16.2%
  2. Harrison Barnes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Andre Drummond

16.2%
  4. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

64.9%
  5. Damian Lillard

2.7%
  6. Jared Sullinger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (Explain below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I've done this in the past, but it's always more exciting when we have a lottery pick (even if it's because we had a poor year previously).

The thinking here is to decide who the Blazers would pick at the currently-polled spot. Pick based on the current roster, even if it's unrealistic that the team could move up without making changes. If the guy you'd prefer isn't listed, vote for "other" and comment on who you'd pick. Ideally I'll change the options, although I don't anticipate too many "others" winning.

I'm going to list the most likely candidates based on information I have at the time of the post for the spot, and the results will accumulate over time, influencing who's available at later spots.

I plan on having each pick up for a day or two. Ideally, we'll end up with the community's "top 11" list, in order of preference, just in time for the draft on June 28.

Previous picks:

1:
    Anthony Davis
    2: Thomas Robinson

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I picked Drummond, but Barnes is growing on me

3. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    This high in the draft do you go for (currently) the BPA like Beal, MKG, or do you swing for the fences on a guy like Drummond who has the highest ceiling but is a ways away?

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I feel like a title team needs an elite wing with the ability to create his own shot. I don't necessarily think Beal will be that guy, but I think he's the only one worthy of this slot who might possibly be that guy, so I think I have to go with him. I don't think the talent gap between him and MKG (if there even is one) is large enough to ignore the possibility of obtaining what seems to be the single largest necessity for a title team in today's NBA (Mavs championship notwithstanding).

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Is there any way we can trade for the #2 and #3?

I would love to have a starting 5 of LaMarcus/Robinson/MKG/Batum/Deron (or Dragic)

11+Wes+Babbitt for #3
    6+Ewill+unprotected 2015 1st for #2

Probably not possible but that sure would be awesome.

6. South East

South East Writing Team

I went with Lillard because I think he is the next best prospect. I would hope the Blazers would trade down from this spot if Robinson is gone but since it's got to be someone then Lillard is the bpa.

7. Blaze01

Blaze01 JBB JustBBall Member

I went with Beal...POR needs shooting badly...Beal has elite level shooting, good size, smart kid...

Both Drummond and MKG have more question marks IMO than Beal does, MKG with his shooting and Drummond with his effort....

I love MKG's intangibles, hustle, will to win, leadership but his lack of outside game for POR is troubling for me, you hope that he develops it over time, but without some shooters I think POR will continue to struggle and guys like Batum\Matthews are far too streaky and you just can't rely on addressing that need with players like Babbitt & E-Will....

Drummond scares the heck out of me, I really don't know if I could take another big lottery center busting on this team....I'd rather avoid him, if he was more of a sure thing then of course you take him, but he has a lot of question marks to answer\overcome IMO....

8. BlazerBeav5

BlazerBeav5 Member

See, I don't get how Beal has "elite level shooting". I would take a guy like MKG any day of the week who is proven to provide scoring somewhere else rather than a guy like Beal who is supposed to be a great shooter but didn't even shoot that well.

9. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

we can't trade any future 1sts until we know what the protection is for our 2013 pick. If we suck this year and don't have to give the 2013 to CHA, then it goes to 2014 and is back-to-back with the 2015 you want to send out. And so forth.

10. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Ahhh good point. Since the trade is with Charlotte, who are coincidentally the ones with our 2013 pick, how about we agree to remove the protections on the 2013 pick and give them a protected 2015.