2015 Football Commits and Recruiting News

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by PapaG, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

@Wheels ! Throw down the mic!

Also, feeling good about Paulo. And Gary Baker is a 3* DL on 247, rated decently too.

2. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

I heard Folau may grow out of his 6'1 240 frame. May get too big for ILB. If we lose him, no biggie. He won't count till 2 years down the road anyway

3. Daigotsu

Daigotsu Member

Looks like john smith not visiting and likely to close down recruitment, explains hail mary Houston visit.

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I don't get the complaint. Coaches from USC, Miami, Arizona State, Oklahoma and Oregon all visited him in the past couple days, & those in-homes have been scheduled for many weeks. Visiting both prospects and commits just prior to NSD is commonly done by many coaching staffs including Oregon's... theres nothing desperate about it.

that said, I read some new Houston quotes and unfortunately it looks like he'll probably being going with the local favorite as he sites a desire to stay close to family

STOMP

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

The travel conundrum attracting big guys to Eugene would seems fairly obvious, but clearly we've a special situation. To illustrate in the simplest way I could, I looked up on Orbitz what the difference for Neville Gallimore flying home to visit his reportedly very ill father over a weekend. Sorting by shortest flight 3 weeks from now, the legs from Oklahoma City to Buffalo NY and back averaged 4 hours and 45 minutes with a roundtrip cost of $570. Conversely from Eugene to Buffalo and then going back on Sunday, the shorter leg was just under 8 hours and the grand total $1346. Now imagine you're 300+lbs and spending 16 hours in a coach seat over a weekend.

Our special poster presents us with such a constant flow of misinformation, it's like where to start untangling this latest mess(es)? Daylon Mack... not only has Oregon expressed interest in him, he was one of their very first offers well over a year ago. It's not like it's hard to see if Oregon has interest in him, all you have to do is look at his profile. He lauds FSU for putting 3 defensive guys in the league each year, but can't stop trashing Pellum-Aiken who saw (you guessed it) 3 D Lineman move on to the NFL last season and probably at least as many Defensive players this upcoming draft. He mocked me several months back for relaying the DTs I thought UO might sign saying we'd land zero from my list. Now he just continues on with his WAAAAAH! crybaby act bitching about the same exact thing despite Oregon landing 3 studs including Kaumatule from that list. Absolutely no one else is losing sleep over the 3 spots on the DLine only being 8 deep 2 seasons from now... of course it's ridiculous. You're spot on with Neal only signing one 4* in 3 years, but his mania is DT-centric, so Neal will always get a pass.

his most commonly repeated fallacy is confusing facts and opinions. While it's a fact that one can have opinions, that doesn't make those opinions facts. Facts are things that can't be argued. Like that Oregon's D, despite being on the field far more then any other Pac 12 school finished 2nd in the conference in the most important category... points allowed. Or that the 23.3 points per game that they allowed this past season is right in line with what their stingy D has been averaging for over 5 years. He posted many times his hopes/dreams/predictions that they'd lose 5 games this year because of the "inept" D... that was his opinion. Facts again proved to make a mockery of his opinions, yet he continues to act like he's been right all along in spite of poster after poster saying WTF dude? Dreams of winning the recruiting Star Wars instead of all those pesky football games... maybe someday we could be like University of Texas! You'd think that with Oregon having more starters in next weekend's little game (including 2 former 2*s) might give Star struck fans a moment of pause. That maybe... just maybe, these long time Duck coaches who've overseen this amazing winning bonanza might just know what they're doing?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...hic-oregon-boasts-most-super-bowl-49-starters

Lastly, the absolute silliest thing I read him post was that if the team loses 3 games next year, defensive coaching heads will roll. 3 new starters on the OLine + new QB... lol... next year could be a lot of things. I guess thats his way of telling us we'll be hearing that same old broken record skipping week after week regardless

STOMP

6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Baker had to sit out his Junior year due to a transfer snafu, so he entered the year with zero hype from the sites. What do we really know about him? 6'4 290 is plenty big for a future D1 DLineman. Rivals relays he's been timed in the 40 at 4.99, with a 4.84 shuttle... those are outstanding times for a big man. His tape confirms he can really move and also shows him tossing blockers aside at will.

Oregon is hardly in dire straits with their future DLine depth... an offer means their coaches think he's the real deal and they've proven again and again to have an eye for talent that succeeds. If he commits on his visit, I'll have as much enthusiasm for his potential as any kid in this class and won't be the least bit surprised if he makes an early impact like umpteen under the radar recruits have before him.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2717353/highlights/184033375

STOMP

7. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

Well said @STOMP , I think we're good on D-line as Baker will probably commit to us.

What concerns me is LB though. We're striking out on the top prospects yet again, and it seems like our Waller-fall back option maybe Folau. But he may even go to Beavers.

8. Daigotsu

Daigotsu Member

With us falling short on our other LB options. woods, Smith, Houston ect. Looks like we are trying hard to flip JC Jonah Moi to finish the class off at LB.

IF that happens we most likely finish with
    Moi
    Merritt
    Paulo
    Baker

with an extreme outside shot at Uluave

ending with an average class ranking between 15-20 most likely just outside the top 15.

9. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Stomp? Didn't you beat your chest spouting how ignorant and off base I was about Canton's grades, they were just fine and that he could have gone to Stanford just like his bro but our great recruiting on the D changed all that? Naming Pellum and Aiken as major reasons in your cackling retort?

"According to Canton himself, the Hawaiian connection thing your trying to sell is yet more pretend time/BS as it's "not really a big component for my recruiting". His grades are great, which is why he's got offers to top academic schools like Stanford and Vanderbilt. Like Carlberg, he wants to major in Business with a focus on Sports Marketing and UO is a top school for that. I relayed this info via his buddy Fred Ulu-Perry many months ago.

And :roflmao: at you pointing to early PT as if you're onto something as thats been a main point of mine as to why they're expected to land these Top DTs this cycle. Despite me pointing to the allure of early PT you've been endlessly mocking those claims and now you're trying to adopt my reasoning as an excuse. "

Really?

as for 247 sports today in the DUCK TERRITORY Q and A and a guy who I think knows a bit more about Duck recruiting than you!

by Justin Hopkins staff at 247 today,

"lennyloo said... (original post)
    What has been this years ('15 cycle) biggest surprise for you in Oregon recruiting?"

"Canton Kaumatule. He was all set for Stanford but couldn't get in. Now he will be Oregon's only 5-star signee."

I know how you love your FACTS and credible sources and telling everyone how full of shit they are when they don't provide facts or a source. Sooo.... as you've said to 1 Honest Fan, and Daigotsu and myself, let's see if you can take accountability for your HUGE BS BLUNDER RANT! Shit spoon, Stomp is open for breakfast!

BTW- I told you last year right before the Alamo Bowl Allioti would be gone, and you cackled at that too.... How'd that work out for you? Aiken is getting paid way to much to suck at recruiting this badly and knowing now that Canton was academically ineligible for Stanford as I said, and a fall back victory for Oregon, I'd say he looks even more incompetent as a recruiter than yesterday! He'll be the next to go. Recruiting is 50% of a coaches job and paycheck and as I see it Aiken is getting about a C grade at best. Now that would be fine if your were the Beavers or Cougs, but Oregon is a national brand and the expectations are vastly elevated!

But hey? Maybe Uncle Phil who is ridiculously competitive missed watching the national championships and Duck's D line and LB's getting run over due to fatigue and lack of depth due to recruiting for the second time in 5 years! Ya think?

So you can say all the Quack U is off and my BS opinions, and he's a know it all, and garbage like that, but you wont address this:

The Ducks defense is ranked nationally 100th or worse in both run stop and 3rd down conversions . We've been run over due to lack of depth and skill on the NG to LB spots for two national championships in five years and since 2008 have never gotten below 68 best in either defensive category. This also correlates directly to our recruiting or lack there of it. Stanford, LSU, Auburn and now OSU for the second time in a bowl beat us up and we couldn't respond. No team has ever won a national championship with an overall defense this poor. It's poor because of our scheme 1st, and our recruiting that doesn't fit our scheme. A 3-4 works if you have kick ass LB's and Oregon can't recruit them. So logic might say put another guy in the box till your LB's are good enough to run it the other way. Now I've said forever if you can't get a couple top notch D tackles to get penetration your LB's can't hit their gaps on a 3-4. Oregon hasn't been able to recruit top DT's either.

I'd love to hear your response to this because it's pretty clear we're not recruiting well to the defense we are employing. Further it seems you feel our D and its recruiting is doing just fine. Be it I'm so full of it, I guess you'll be able to tell us all how our D will improve the way it's going to be an elite enough unit to win a national championship?

10. MJA

MJA Member

11. Daigotsu

Daigotsu Member

Gary Baker has just commiteed I think

12. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

Probably why the staff targeted Baker with Kamp gonna leave. He was a senior anyway and this can free up a scholarship.

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

not transferring, retiring from playing football as he will be graduating this coming summer. He battled hand and leg injuries during much of his UO time, I was happy for him to go out on a high note with a healthy final season where he contributed a lot to their success as a key reserve & fill in starter.

Good luck to Sam!

STOMP

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

rivals relaying that as well. Supposed to be hosting a boatload of Duck coaches in his home right now

STOMP

15. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

Yeah he had a lot of coaches present.

Also, Murray is gonna have an In-house visit from the coaches, probably after the coaches wrap up in SoCal with Iman Marshall.

I've also heard murmurs that Vernon Adams out of Eastern Washington may transfer

MJA likes this.
  16. MJA

MJA Member

Anyone know the list of official visits for this weekend?

17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I see you still can't figure out how to quote someone :lol: way way over your head. Yes I do prefer facts over BS, which is precisely why I don't like your nonsense or Justin Hopkins. I'm on record here in this very thread at least a half dozen times saying he's a bullshit artist, so you attempting to play gotcha using someone I've repeatedly called a bullshit artist as a source and calling him "credible" is in itself pretty silly. Do you know the only place where media types can get a prospect's grades? From the prospect. And since Canton doesn't have an email or twitter account or even a cell, and he hasn't given interviews to anyone on rivals or 247 guess where JHop almost assuredly pulled the couldn't get into Stanford line? Hint hint, the same dark stinkhole you pull your info from.

Living in the Bay Area, I hear the "didn't have the grades" seemingly every time Stanford loses out on a recruit from their fans and local sports talk... we heard it here with Rex Manu too. But here's a couple facts to consider. Stanford massively relaxed the entry requirements for athletes back when Harbaugh took over. It's no longer that hard for prospects to qualify for enrollment... reportedly just 3.0 core GPA and 1000 2-part SAT/23 ACT. And take a lookie loo at the lax standards athletes have to adhere to for staying eligible.

https://undergrad.stanford.edu/advi...hletes/ncaa-academic-eligibility-requirements

So excuse me for doubting that someone (JHop) with a history of pulling stories from his ass doesn't ring as credible when he repeats an oft told myth. And lol at you acting like you've ever been accountable for any of the constant BS you pump into this forum.

So lets examine who's story is more credible... yours or Allioti's. Nick claimed he wanted to retire the year before, but since Chip was leaving he felt an obligation to UO to stay an extra year. Having been a very successful DC for decades at both major colleges and the NFL, certainly he could have landed another coaching job if he wanted, but he's 60+ and has made millions and a cushy job with the Pac 12 network awaited. You claim he was fired/pushed aside because the program was dissatisfied with the results his schemes provided. That the historic winning & multiple BCS games in a row wasn't enough... the program demands more... and most importantly they must switch to the defensive schemes armchair QB Swimblock prefers.

Then the program acted by hiring someone from Allioti's staff who ran his mentor's schemes and ends up helping guide Oregon to the NCG in his 1st year on the job. Given that the program doubled down on Nick's D by promoting from within, how in the world can you continue to delude yourself that this is anything but another fail for you? I know it must be painful to your ego to have so many of your predictions turn out to be so wildly off base, but instead of acknowledging the obvious that you were flat wrong, you attempting to crow about it like you were right... it's a fucking clown show.

How'd that work out for me? Just great thanks! I like it that the D continues to give up very few points and that the team continues to dominate. How'd it work out for you?

First of all, your hypocrisy knows no bounds. Why should others address your questions, when you dodge responsibility for answering to any/all of the myriad of your debunked claims? So much of what you say is BS on it's face and yet you never admit you were wrong let alone show some sense and slow down with further BS. Have you checked out Daylon Mack's profile yet? Whats up with all those DLineman from my list who've committed when you said none would? When are you going to admit being dead wrong about them losing 5 games this year? You said thats what you were "hoping for." Following making that claim they rolled everyone to the title game by 20+ points. Own it. No, the coaches aren't getting fired, they're getting bonuses. Accept reality. No they aren't striking out on DLine recruits as you've been predicting, they're landing one big athletic stud after another. Carlberg, Kaumatule, Manu & Baker all have size and speed. Certainly most Duck fans who follow this stuff aren't disappointed, they're thrilled. But of course no other Duck fans (but you) root for the team to lose.

Other posters & various media have explained UO's defensive strategy repeatedly, but you can't (or deliberately won't) accept it because you want to be angry and call for coach's heads like you've done since the gray day when you first graced us with your clown act. If you've failed to figure it out by now, why should anyone think explaining it one more time would help? Here goes...The goal of football isn't to give up the least 1st downs, it's to win the game by outscoring your opponent. Oregon decided years back that they'd try a different tack then the traditional approach that you advocate, and have successfully targeted recruits to play in this system. The guys they target are often very different from those that the services have rated highest. The guys they land often far exceed their ratings and go on to NFL careers. Having an offense that plays with Oregon's pace means that the Defense is going to be on the field a whole lot. Their goal is to physically wear down the opponent's offense over the course of the game as they're going to be on the field a lot more then they normally are. Especially early on Oregon gives up yards underneath and protects against the big play downfield. The opponents may be grinding out 1st downs, but they're also using up their energy. Oregon liberally substitutes in waves of defenders, so their players are relatively fresher as the game goes along. It's not by accident that they did so well in TO margin this year, thats what they do every year. As the game goes along, they get more aggressive and mix up their looks a lot more switching back and forth between the 3-4/4-3 and zone blitzing. The overall result is the football equivalent of rope a dope where the opponent swings their arms a lot but doesn't have much to show for it...& then Oregon goes for the knockout. See the FSU game for reference.

as others have alluded, it was Offensive failures (WR drops) that was the most glaring reason they lost the NCG. They didn't execute and hung the D out to dry. LBs again struggled in coverage and staying in their gaps. Still, it was an incredible season that was vastly different then the disaster you continually predicted and rooted for.

Okay, so to add to the long list of things you were dead wrong about I've responded with a novel. I'd suggest you finally sit down to the fermenting tray of Shit Sammies you've been ignoring and wash them down with a tall glass of STFU

STOMP

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  18. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

best guess I can relay is Gary Baker, Fotu Leiato, Iman Marshall & Tyrone Wheatley, but really who knows? Grab your popcorn

STOMP

MJA likes this.
  19. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    So assuming Vernon Adams does come here, do you think he'd start? I know he lit OSO and Washington up so that sounds promising. That doesn't look good though for the prospect of getting Murray since I heard he wanted to start day 1.

20. Daigotsu

Daigotsu Member

Considering we are not in Marshalls recent top 6, I doubt the visit will happen or change anything.

Zalsa likes this.