2017-18 Front Line and Backups

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Reep, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

And now for something completely different:

Time will tell, but I'm hoping to get a better look at the Nurkic-Vonleh-Harkless on the front line this season.

But, despite what positions I think we drafted the players for, I kind of picture (eventually) the following as backups:

C: Biggie (he bulls, picks, passes and posts kind of like Nurkic does);
    PF: ZCollins (I still see him as more of a PF who can defend the perimeter better);
    SF: Layman (love the defensive effort he showed at SL and hope he can bring the rest too).

I'm sure Aminu will see PF minutes and Turner will see SF minutes, but I want to see what the young guys do--especially Biggie as a backup C and Layman as a matchup problem. If Biebs earns a spot in there then more power to him.

2. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

Bucks actively shopping Henson and Monroe. Would love to get either of these guys somehow. Come on NO.

The Bucks are reportedly actively shopping Greg Monroe and John Henson.
    Both Monroe and Henson's names have floated around in trade rumors for years now, but maybe they'll finally be able to find a taker for Monroe now that he's on the final year of his contract. Henson still has three years left on his deal but at the relatively moderate price of $31.7 million. Both these guys would be better served outside of Milwaukee, and if the Bucks are able to move both of them, that would open up a ton of minutes for Thon Maker.

3. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Isn't part of the problem that Monroe is weak on D and Henson is weak on O? Would you play them at PF?

dviss1 likes this.
  4. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Right now the lineup look like this.

Lillard/CJ/Napier
    CJ/Turner
    Harkless/Turner/Layman
    Aminu/Vonleh/Swanigan/Collins
    Nurk/Collins/Nards
    Pending some huge jump in training camp, injuries or trade. That's what the roster on opening day will look like.

I seriously doubt the organization is interested in returning to JJ Hickson level of rim protection by letting Swanigan play the 5.
    Which is what it would look like if Swanigan subbed in for Nurk.
    Collins on the other hand showed in the SL he can be a helpside defender & rim protector. I'm positive they'll give him that opportunity in camp + preseason. If he doesn't show the same ability... Might see Nards on the court... sigh.

People aren't going to like Aminu starting at the 4 again. But I'd bet HCP's lawnmower it happens.

All this could be thrown out the window if a trade happens.

Hobbesarable and Dougnsalem like this.
  5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Thank you for an actual bball topic.

That said, I don't think Layman sniffs rotation mins

6. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I thought Stotts had switched over and liked Vonleh starting at PF in the Nurk era.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  7. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I think that had more to do with Aminu's inability to stay healthy and get a rhythm last year. Than Vonleh actually supplementing him at the 4.

8. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

They will probably see what happens in training camp. Vonleh started roughly half his games played last year. If he has improved over the summer then he has a good shot. If not, then we might see Aminu--or Biggie if neither Vonleh or Aminu shows up for the challenge. You know Biggie will try.

9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Vonleh will start. Book it.

Hobbesarable and rotary111 like this.
  10. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Training camp will decide. no doubt.
    Vonleh did start a lot of games last year... However need to remember Aminu started the season as the starter. Got hurt, came back, got hurt again, came back to have the playoffs start.
    Stotts loves continuity, so I'd say that along with Aminu never really getting a rhythm last year led to Vonleh starting over Aminu last year.
    And I'm not a huge fan of Aminu.

11. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I hope he takes the spot, however if he doesn't show out.
    He will be shown the door.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You think he can beat out Carmelo?

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

LOL Nice.:clap:

Dougnsalem likes this.
  14. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Interested to see how this frontcourt rotation shakes out. It's probably a little to early to really dig into it yet though.

Collins and Swanigan are better basketball players than Meyers and Noah imo but are rookies and will need some time and a healthy Ed Davis should be a plus but I think it's likely that he isn't on the team come October.

To put it simply, there's too many guys that are best used as centers in this group right now. Still lacking a reliable shooter who can hold up defensively at the PF position as well.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  15. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

This is the single reason why I think Biggie might end up as the starting PF by the end of the year. He seems to want it bad. He wants that position like he wants every rebound. If he is open behind the arc he is going to take that shot, and probably hit a reasonable number of them. I know he is new and untested, but he has a determination that I don't see in any of the others to get there. He won't rest until he does.

Harry's Raincoat likes this.
  16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think vonleh showed he was a decent shooter after the break. 7-8 in Feb (after the break) then around 55% for March and April.
    And he held up defensively too IMO.

Not sure who will emerge between our rookies, that will meet those 2-way needs you mentioned, but my money's on Collins. Maybe not next year, but by year two. I think he will be a reliable shooter and has quick enough feet to guard the perimeter and protect the rim.

I also think Swanigan can man the position as well, just not against stretch 4's. Not effectively anyways.

17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    If the Blazers are going to roll with their current roster, I think that we're going to see Turner primarily getting his minutes as a part of a three guard rotation with CJ & Dame, with a little Pat & Napier thrown in from time to time. Harkless and Aminu hold down the SF spot. Vonleh, Collins & Meyers at PF. Nurkic, Swanigan, Collins, Meyers at C. I see that roster as a .500 team in the West at best. I sure hope Olshey has something up his sleeve to improve this team.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

If the Blazers are indeed rolling with their current roster than you need to give some minutes to Davis as well. When healthy he is as good as most of our bigs not named Nurk.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think we start Dame CJ Turner Vonleh and Nurk
    Napier Harkless Chief Swanigan and Ed Davis on deck

Hobbesarable likes this.
  20. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I think .500 is the floor for next year. There is reason to hope for more though. The synergy with Nurk in the lineup was huge. If he stays healthy and everyone else plays the same then that bumps the win total up.

Hopes:
    Harkless improves, mainly in being more aggressive;
    Dame: every year he seems to add something. Here's hoping that continues;
    CJ: saw him continue to work on his handles. OMG, if he becomes a better ball handler some ankles will get broken;
    Backup Center: has to be better than last year. Not sure who will step up, but it will be better;
    Vonleh: Not sure what he's doing, but hoping he makes the jump this year.

If a couple of the above happen then that should make the team competitive in the west.

Wizard Mentor likes this.