2017-18 Front Line and Backups

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Reep, Jul 26, 2017.

1. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Clippers worse- but plenty of talent to still be be playoff team
    Utah clearly worse.
    Memphis losing three almost done old guys

The West is loaded. At least that's what everyone on the planet seems to think. I said they'd have to battle to be a .500 team. You disagree with that? You think they go what, .600 in the West?

2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think his point is that it's kinda obvious that if a team loses so many players to injury that a deep reserve is starting, that team is in trouble.

H.C. likes this.
  3. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

It really come down how much did our players improve will depends how good we will be this year. Injuries will have big say who will be in the playoffs. But are starters can play with anyone outside Golden St. It is really going to be how good our bench will be this year. Swanigan and Collins will slowly get minutes throughout the year.

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

With a full season of Nurk, I expect us to be better this year than last. But, it's not really about this year. It's about the future. It will probably make @BigGameDamian cry is his Lucky Charms to read this, but 2017-18 is a development year. To get where we need to be, 2 or 3 years from now, we need to develop our young bigs.

Nurk turns 23 in a month, and isn't a finished product. He's obviously been working out like a fiend and is highly motivated to have a breakout season. We need him to become a legitimate part of a Big 3 with Dame and C.J.

We also need two of Vonleh, Swanigan and Collins to develop into significantly above average NBA big men. Hard to believe Vonleh is a full year and a day younger than Nurk. He won't turn 22 until next month. I hate to give up on the guy, but his progress has been so painstakingly slow. He's definitely a solid rebounder and defender, but had the lowest scoring average of any player to start at least 41 games last season. We need to get more out of that starting PF position.

This is where Collins and Swanigan come in. One of them needs to develop into an above average NBA starting PF to pair with Nurk and the other needs to become a super 6th man type off the bench. Right now, I'm hoping Collins can develop into a significantly above average 2-way starting PF and Swanigan can become a perennial Sixth Man of the Year candidate bringing high energy off the bench. But, I could actually see it developing the other way, too. Collins was a super sub in college - good enough to make the All NCAA Tournament team coming off the bench as a freshman and Swanigan was Big 10 player of the year as a sophomore.

In any case, 2 - 3 years from now, we need one of them to be a significantly better than average starting PF and the other to be one of the best 6th men in the league backing up both front court positions.

If it sounds like pie in the sky, it might be, but it's what he expected when Neil targeted these two players in the 1st round of this year's draft. He thought enough of Collins to traded up to the 10th pick to get him and believes he got a steal with Swanigan at 26. I think Swanigan is more likely to have an impact this season. His high motor and relentless rebounding will be enough to get him minutes this year, but I think Collins has more upside as a 2-way player.

BNM

5. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

Agreed. Can we just go to sleep till 2020??!!

Need powerful posts to change the climate in the W's roster. Make them guard some bigs down low!!! One foul per possession.

To clarify earlier comment.....I want to see Layman develop into a legit starting SF. He has the tools. Just need to refine. I don't want him getting PT because of default or injury.

6. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Also we need to develop Meyers Leonard. Most players his age would only be two years out of college and playing much, much better.

7. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

First off I'd like to point out that I said the West got better.

No one said the Clippers aren't devoid of talent.
    However the Jazz and Clippers won't be battling for HCA this year. Instead they'll be fighting for a playoff spot. Fighting for .500
    Those three guys Memphis lost were huge for them last year. Unless their rookies/young talent makes a leap. They will clearly be worse.

No one said the West isn't loaded, but I pointed out three playoff teams that will be worse.

You didn't make a prediction, why should I?
    Oh right because you want to run with the narrative all other teams in the West added talent and Portland will be fighting for .500
    Never mind three playoff teams from 2017 got worse... They're still better than Portland.
    Never mind that if Minn jumps +20 wins it will be one of the biggest win increases in NBA history.
    Never mind people in the Minn camp have been saying for a solid 3 going on 4 years now they will be a playoff team.
    Lavine defensively < Butler Defensively
    Rubio > Teague defensively
    Crawful offensive player
    Deing > Gibson

But... But... Potential! potential! They're dripping with Potential!

logic dictates when teams above you get worse by losing talent... They become easier to get the W on.

TL;DR
    Two teams below Portland added talent and will be better.
    Three teams above Portland lost talent and will be worse.

BBert likes this.
  8. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I have generally liked Meyers and hope he does develop. But, I would test it out in preseason. If he has significantly improved then I would give him significant backup minutes ahead of Biggie and ZCo. But, if he is the same as before in preseason then I would park his butt and give the minutes to those with more potential.

9. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Ha

10. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

That's at least 1 too many white guys starting

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I hope not.napier as the only guy who can dribble in the second unit? We would get owned. Turner needs to come off the bench to help with that.

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Huh? So nurk, the only white guy, shouldn't be starting?
    No green font???

13. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Don't they stagger Dame and CJ so one is always on the court? The second unit does not come in as a whole.

14. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

I knew I should've bolded the very last paragraph.

Nurk gets a pass because he's not a wabc

15. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Dave chimes in:

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/8/...tarters-swanigan-aminu-vonleh-leonard-collins

I think that last part is a typo and he meant to say "like milk toast and Butters."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  16. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Swanigan will win the starting PF spot in training camp. Vonleh and Aminu just aren't very good.

Minstrel likes this.
  17. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Braid-less Vonleh will have a breakout year, just like Flip Rodriquez when he ditched the mask.

dviss1, Minstrel and PtldPlatypus like this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Always respect a good ANW reference.

handiman likes this.
  19. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

It will be an interesting battle. I do agree we have seen the best Aminu has to offer and he is a nice backup. Biggie will be ready, so Vonleh better not sleep on this. But, if Vonleh comes out aggressive (and scores the #*$* ball) then I think he has the advantage because of his superior foot speed and ability to get out on stretch fours.

20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

QFT.