Event 2017 NBA draft thread - April 2017 edition

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Sinobas, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Chad Ford's latest mock:

*Giles and OG rise to the lotto (Fuck!)
    *Blazers #15: Justin Patton (Eh)
    *Blazers #20: Ike Anigbogu (I'd love this pick)
    *Blazers #26: Isaiah Hartenstein (S2 loses their shit)

I really like John Collins/Jarrett Allen but there are no players in this draft that would fit in better with Nurk than Zach Collins and Lauri Markkanen - both slated to go top ten. The question now would be how to get in position to grab either player.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I like a guy like Hart; toughness, effort, work ethic and IQ. Draft Express has him going about #42. If we end up trading some or all of our first rounders maybe we can get a 2nd round pick back.

3. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

#15 and #26 for #11 and #41

BonesJones likes this.
  4. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Josh Hart is a SG version of Jerryd Bayless, minus the handle/quicks/hops but better defensive IQ. Both play a predictable, awkward, self made game that relies heavily on strength/brute force.

I recognize the value that Hart could offer if his shot translates to the nba line--I have doubts about his mechanics--but his ball skills/feel just arent the level they need to be imo to be more than a spot shooter/gritty defender w/o great tools kinda guy.

BonesJones likes this.
  5. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I think Bayless was my least favorite Blazer ever. His game sucked.

6. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    OG looks amazing on tape. I never really watched Indiana much this year, but that guy has star potential. We need a Paul George like guy fall into our lap with a late pick like he did with Indiana.

I still think we should target Collins.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Hart has a good mid range game and solid on D. But what I like about him he know how to win. He not quick but he can get to his spots. High IQ has a player plus he 4 year player in college and guess who like 4 year players Olshey. If he there at 26 I would pick him.

8. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I want dynamic, cerebral wing players with ball skills on this team. I don't even care if they aren't great shooters as long as mechanically their shots aren't broken (ie evan turner). Those are the guys that play on championship teams.

OG from a physical standpoint looks like a guy with a high ceiling but he's a one way player who still has things to learn defensively. Those types routinely get played off floor in the playoffs as teams further shrink the floor and dare your others to beat them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    BonesJones likes this.
  9. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

Do we want a "Stretch 4" or a banger inside (ala Robinson)? I think a dude who can get on the glass and score from close range would benefit this team enormously. I want a guy with low post moves, High BB IQ, good size and balance, good hands and the attitude to work hard and get better each and every day. A young man with ambitions to become great and committed to staying in Portland and help build this Franchise.

10. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

He's 24 and we probably don't have the roster space for him, but Kadeem Allen would be so fun on this team and could be had with a late 2nd round pick. Has a Pat Beverly demeanor/presence on the floor with better defensive tools. 6' 3" w/ a 6' 9" wingspan and an outstanding 8'5" standing reach allows you to move him around defensively.

I believe in his shot/handle/IQ enough too that although he'd be a pretty low usg% offensive player, I think he offers some value on that end with an ability to run some pnr, hit a 3 and be unselfish.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    We need to hit a home run in this draft and find our staring PF!

Zach. Collins.

Lauri. Markkanen.

12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Sounds like Harry Giles is your guy.

13. BonesJones

Here's my breakdown on Anunoby's jumpshot:

He has a smooth follow through which is a good start. The biggest problem I see is his lower body mechanics are inconsistent and stiff. I think this could be because of the timing of his upper-body mechanics and lower body mechanics. It doesn't flow together. I think he brings the ball up a little to slow. This is very detrimental when he has a defender somewhat close, as he starts to jump before the ball reaches his shot pocket, as he is trying to get it off quicker.

A reason his shot is slow is because his shooting should is slumped forward, which bring the ball up far away from his body.
    Anunoby.png
    This takes extra time to do as the ball is moving across a bigger distance. It also slows down his jumper because his shoulder and elbow are more tense because of the shoulder slump.

Another reason for his lower body inconsistency is because he doesn't align his feet and his shoulders. This is different than squaring up. Squaring up means 10 toes towards the rim, and shoulders perfectly squared. Not aligning your hips and feet means your feet might be tilted left and shoulders square, or shoulders are tilted and feet are square.

A tilt left isn't a bad thing if hips and shoulder are aligned. Tilting your feet and shoulders to the left (thus putting your right shoulder forward) makes it so that you can align your shooting elbow with your hip and the hoop without as much tension as squaring up. Many great shooters tilt (Lillard, Curry, Durant, etc.) Here's an example of a tilt with legs and shoulders perfectly aligned.
    Curry tilt.jpg
    -------------
    However, Anunoby tilts his feet left but keeps his shoulders perfectly square.
    Anonoby 2.png
    This means that not only does he have more shoulder tension due to the squaring of his shoulders, but it also means that his lower body and upper body are out of alignment, due to a twist at the hips. This means that the two can't work together to get a smooth, straight flow from the ground through the ball.

If Anunoby stops slumping his shoulder forward, thus keeping the ball closer to his body when he brings it up his shotline, it will speed up his upper body naturally, thus improving timing between his lower and upper body.

And if Anunoby tilts his shoulders left, it will align them with his feet, lessen shoulder tension, and make his lower and upper body flow together as one, while making his base more consistent due to the elimination of hip twist.

BBert and Fez Hammersticks like this.
  14. BonesJones

If you guys want more of these, let me know. I'd be glad to breakdown more players in our draft range and get some good discussion going.

15. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
  16. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
  17. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Pasecniks is interesting. He's pretty long and mobile and has pretty fluid, albeit awkward shooting mechanics, but his weaknesses are probably going to force him to play the 4.

Wasn't a huge fan from the full game I watched of him, but he's probably worth a late first. Some team might even think he's Porzingis-lite and take him late lottery but I think that'd be a mistake. Kristaps was better at a younger age and had a more well rounded scoring sense. Better shooter w/better mechanics, plus better defensive IQ and toughness. Significant reach advantage as well.

Watched more Dozier today and at this point, I'd be really sad if we don't draft that kid. He has legitimate good starter/fringe all-star upside and could be that ideal 2-way 3rd banana on the perimeter. People look at his 47% TS% and dismiss him but anybody with an eye for talent worth a damn should be able to see what his ceiling could look like.

Great kid who comes from a great basketball family as well.

18. BonesJones

I bet they'll go for Motley and trade Aldridge. Motley could produce right away for them and produce the same as Aldridge. Dude just seems like a Spurs player.

19. BonesJones

I'm really hoping we can trade 26 and a future 2nd to Orlando for picks 33 and 35, where we could pick someone like Dozier and Motley.

20. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I think Motley has a chance to be there in that range but I highly doubt Dozier falls out of the first unless his right knee is red flagged.

But if Neil finds a way to land Collins+Dozier+Motley...man I'd be pumped.