Event 2017 NBA draft thread - March 2017 edition

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Mar 2, 2017.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Any one of these 6 players could have a HOF career in the right situation. (No particular order)

Josh Jackson
    Markelle Fultz
    De'Arron Fox
    Dennis Smith
    Malik Monk
    Terrance Ferguson

2. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

It's all right moving up the draft. If we package both Memphis and Cleveland pick, or ours with one of them for a 5-10 pick I am fine with it. However that is only if there is a good small forward available with that pick - Isaac or Tatum (Jackson is not possible). I would not do that to draft another point guard or one of power forwards projected to go there like Markannen.

I would probably keep all three though. We won't get Isaac or Tatum IMO and we will have a wide selection of power forwards available. I would take a chance on Giles if he's still available with Memphis pick, take someone like Collins, Adebayo or Allen with our and use Cleveland's to get a shooting guard or small forward prospect. We would have three back ups who can jump to starters in case of PFs and could get rid of some high earners.

Packaging our pick with someone like Leonard to get rid of his contract would be among the most ridiculous things we could possibly do.

WillG and Dougnsalem like this.
  3. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

I agree with what you're saying, except for the Butters part. Dude does a pushup under the hoop during a game? In another game, after the whistle blows- he does a turnaround jump shot from the corner three. The ball bounces off the TOP of the backboard. That's embarrassing stuff to have to watch, even as just a fan. Just my opinion, but I feel he needs to go, at whatever cost....

dviss1 likes this.
  4. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I don't rate him at all but whatever cost is needless here. We can keep him around and just not play him and shed salaries elsewhere. Would be better than potentially losing a decent cheap player by offering our pick.

UKRAINEFAN, blue9 and Dougnsalem like this.
  5. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Yeah, I got what you're saying. You put a high value on the picks. I put a high value on getting rid of him and his 10M a year(so we can pay better players.) HOPEFULLY, they can do both....

dviss1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Sarni, This is where I think most differ....

7. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

We will get good players to choose from with both our and Memphis pick. Cleveland pick will be a punt but we could take one of Oregon guys there. I think we could potentially get another Myles Turner between 15 and 20 with our or Memphis pick i.e. under the radar great potential power forward. We will IMO take two shots and draft two big men. I am really excited about this. Never been a better time to address our issues, while top 10 will be full of guards a lot of big men will quietly drop lower.

8. FialaIsTheMan_7

FialaIsTheMan_7 New Member

Personally I REALLY like Isaac and would trade our pick, the Memphis pick, and the 2nd rounder to move up for him....

Nurk
    Von
    Hark/Isaac (starts by year 2)
    CJ
    Dame

Grab the best defensive gaurd with the Cle pick.

If no trade happens grab Miles Bridges(NBAdraft.net has his NBA comp as Jerome Kersey:)) and the best shooting big men with our other 1st rounders

9. FialaIsTheMan_7

FialaIsTheMan_7 New Member

Also if we can't get into top 7 for a chance at Issac, maybe Tatum, I hate taking chances on dukies, then I'd look to move AC and the Memphis pick to Phil for Okafor. Him and Von can battle for the starter position and the loser and ET can be the first 2 off the bench.

If this trade can happen and we can get into top 7 with our pick, cle pick, and taking back a bad contract(not as bad as the one we are getting rid of) then we are set in my book.

Nurk/Okafor
    Von/Ammo
    Isaac/Hark/Layman
    CJ/ET
    Dame/Livingston

Myers/Ed/Pat can all go somehow.

Not a bad 10 man Rotation, especially for a team that will NEVER Sign a real free agent.

While I'm dreaming we get Livingston by giving away the 2 (Myers and Ed) that have any value and what ever money we save in the AC out/Bad contract in(draft trade to move up)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    WillG likes this.
  10. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Absolutely

He wouldn't have to beg Dame or CJ to lob it up to him if he was open on a roll...

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Not sold on that lil T-Rex. After watching him play, I came away unimpressed.

12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

6'3 with a 6'6 wingspan is good height for a PG. Idk what you're talking about.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

He's 6'3" with a 6'4.5" wingspan.

I'll trust his college team's measurements.

14. BonesJones

SOMETHING EVERYONE IS FORGETTING:

Next year, the league is increasing roster size from 15 to 17, with the team allowing to have 15 players on the NBA team and keep 2 players under contract in the D(Soon to be G)-League.

Therefore, why do we have to trade one of our picks? We could draft all three guys and keep one in the D-League. Hell, I want to buy a 2nd and bring 4 rookies into next year, rotating the non-rotation players between the D-League and NBA.

riverman, Dougnsalem and Pinwheel1 like this.
  15. BonesJones

I wonder how far Anunoby would drop. I could see him potentially falling to our Cleveland pick. Would be a great high reward/low risk pick at that spot. Yes his ACL got torn but it's probably not a structural problem like Oden or Ezeli. This could be a good thing for us if it causes him to fall to that Cleveland pick. He's 6'9 with something like a 7'5 wingspan. He could be the two-way PF we need in the future. If he develops his shot, he'll be a premier 3-and-D player because he can really lock opponents down. 3-and-D guys are generally underdrafted, and he could be a PF version of Khris Middleton.

I hope Giles or Anunoby falls to that pick. I think there's a 50% chance on of them does, and if so we have to take the chance on them. It'd be like getting 10 lottery scratch-offs for free.

16. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Seeing how we now have a legitimate big three with Nurk I'd change my draft plans by packaging our pick with the Memphis pick for Ante Zizic - who has been dominating the Adriatic league much like Nurkic did before coming over. He'd be able to step in right away and start at PF.

(CLE pick) Second guys who could sneak into the first: Monte Morris
    Career stats: 768 assists | 165 turnovers | 38 3PT%

17. BonesJones

You're obsession with foreign prospects is insane.

Trade TWO top 20 picks in a loaded draft for an overseas prospect at a position we don't need who was drafted outside of the top 20 in a less-talented draft? No thanks.

Him "dominating" the Adriatic league doesn't mean anything. Every foreign prospects game translates differently to the NBA, just like it does from college to the NBA. Just because Zizic is playing in the same league Nurkic did and they have a few similarities doesn't mean Zizic is Nurkic 2.0.

He's definitely not a PF at all. A 7'0, 250 pound player who can't shoot outside of 5 feet, and doesn't have a chance guarding NBA PFs on the perimeter.

Another thing, Boston already has a boatload of young talent with a lot of picks on top of it. So why would they trade a stashed prospect for two more picks???

I've also watched Morris play a lot in his years at Iowa State and I see a PG who can't get by other PGs at the NBA level, who will also struggle defensively and doesn't really have NBA range. The passing windows he creates at the college level won't be there in the NBA because he doesn't posses the speed to make defenses help off their man. He plays a careful brand of ball, which won't work at the NBA level because it won't translate into created shots without more aggressiveness. With that added aggressiveness, he will turn the ball over a lot more and still will have problems getting by defenders to create his own or shots for others.

I'd rather have Juwan Evans. That dude sees the floor really well and is quick as lightning. His game translates better.

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I agree about Giles. His best basketball will be played in the NBA. He won't spend the offseason rehabbing and can just focus on improving his game. He's not perfect, but taking a chance on him outside of the lottery when we have two other picks? Yup, Portland is the team to take that type of risk.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don't really get the fascination with Onunby when we already have Harkless and Aminu. And we already have our PF of the future, unless you don't believe in development, in which case I wonder why you'd be worried about the draft.

20. BonesJones

Haha. Harkless is a SF, Onunoby can play both. Anunoby has the potential to be better than Aminu quickly. He'd probably shoot the same from 3 and Anunoby's defense is on par with Aminu. Anunoby would be $6M cheaper than Aminu if he fell to the CLE pick, and he's bigger (6'8 with a reported 7'6 wingspan) so he could play some smallball center. If Anunoby can become a shooter, he'll be a great NBA player. His benchmark for shooting is where Aminu and Harkless are already at.

You wouldn't want to take this guy, who was a projected Top 10 pick before his injury, with the 26th pick in the draft?