2017 Offseason: The Schilly Edition

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Schilly, May 24, 2017.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I think Nurk changes a lot of things. Doesn't mean they'll be a top 3 team next year, but he definitely makes a difference.

They could stand pat and improve (based on Nurk being healthy) but I'd much prefer them upgrading at at least the SF and PF starters.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I also disagree with this statement. We were 14-6 with Nurk. Sure that's only a quarter for a season, but that's a 57-win pace and our sudden turnaround after adding Nurk was one of the hottest stories after the all star break.

Add Paul George to that (without giving up Dame or C.J.) and it's easy to see that team as a contender, at least a top 4 team in the West, and I think think a full season of Nurk + Paul George would get us to the 2nd seed in the West.

That doesn't make us GSW or CLE when it comes to veteran ring chasers, but the dominance of those two teams could actually work in our favor. They only have so many roster spots available, and if we're next in line, we could have our pick of any cheap vets that don't hook up with GSW or CLE.

I think if we add PG13 to Dame, Nurk and C.J., we could easily be the 3rd best team in the league. SAS is on the way down. HOU had a good regular season but is not built for playoff success. The Clippers will either be a year older and a year more injury prone, or they will lose one, or more of CP3, BG and Redick. UTA may end up losing Hayward. None of the teams in the East really has a shot at getting past CLE.

So, if you were a vet, looking to play for a winner and willing to accept a vet min deal, other than GSW and CLE, who else would you consider ahead of POR + PG13?

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  3. Boob-No-More

You said what I wanted to say faster and with fewer words.

Adding PG13 to Dame, C.J. and Nurk puts us on the map for veteran ring chasers. We may not be their #1 or #2 destination, but GSW and CLE only have so many roster spots to go around.

BNM

dviss1, BonesJones and Wizard Mentor like this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Not to mention that Olshey would almost instantly earn exec of the year, and Dame and PG become all stars.

dviss1 likes this.
  5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Maybe. I know most NBA scouting is based on film, and Portland, with Nurk last year, wasn't scouted like they will have been now. Teams will start forcing the ball block left a lot more next year. Unless we address a few issues, we will be 5-10 next season, and 1 and out in playoffs because of defense.

Eastoff likes this.
  6. Boob-No-More

I would also like to point out that all six of those guys will likely be on the market this summer.

Of course, no on will want Ezeli until he can prove he can walk without a cane. Bogut is also coming off an injury, but broken bone aren't usually career ending (Joe Thiesman begs to differ) and Bogut never really relied on athleticism to be effective.

The point is, all of Zaza, JaVale and Davis West are unrestricted free agents this summer. That means one of two things, either all three re-sign with GSW, which fills up their quota of roster spots for ring chasing bigs, or one or more is available for the taking.

At the very least, the more cheap veteran bigs on the market the better for us (especially if we land Paul George). Other veteran bigs that will/may be available include Nene, Dewayne Dedmon, Taj Gibson, Greg Monroe, Roy Hibbert, Amir Johnson, James Johnson, Serge Ibaka, Blake Griffin, David Lee, Pau Gasol, Paul Millsap, Patrick Patterson, Zach Randolph and Tiago Splitter. Some of these guys might not opt out, and some will be out of our price range. But ultimately, the more bigs there are on the market this summer, the better for us.

And even beyond free agents, I would be targeting guys who are on reasonable contracts that are underutilized or don't fit into their current team's plans. I've been mentioning Kyle O'Quinn for several months, and I'll also throw Cole Aldridch out there as a potential target.

O'Quinn is a high energy elite shot blocker and rebounder who is stuck behind Porzingis and Hernangomez in NY. At 27, he doesn't fit in with the Knicks youth movement, but is the exact same age as Dame (and Paul George). He is capable of backing up both the PF and center positions.

After having a great season backing up DeAndre Jordan, Aldrich signed a very team friendly contract to play close to home for MIN, but he barely got to play. He racked up 20 DNP-CDs and when he did play, he only averaged 8.6 MPG. At 28, again he's too old for his current team, but perfect for ours. His stat's took a nose dive with his reduced role in MIN, but for the three season's before that he was pretty much the perfect back up center, an efficient scoring, rebounding, rim protecting stud.

MIN will be under the cap, and has been 29th or 30th in made 3-pointers for three straight years. They need outside shooting and they need it desperately. I'd offer them Meyers Leonard straight up for Cole Aldrich. Aldich would give us a real back up center and Leonard would give them some much needed spacing for KAT and Dieng down low and Wiggins slashing to the basket. We'd also save about $3 million a year in salary, that MIN can easily absorb.

If we do trade our picks, I'd be more than happy adding O'Quinn and Aldrich to our front court. Both are rebounding, shot blocking studs. They are also both efficient, opportunistic scorers.

There are bargains out their and Neil seems to specialize in those kind of trades.

A trade that lands us Paul George would be a grand slam. Adding O'Quinn and Aldrich would be a pair of ground rule doubles. Not nearly as exciting as landing Paul George, but much better than standing pat and taking strike three looking.

BNM

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

honestly i think the pacers would actually take a crabbe, #15 and #20, harkless, and meyers for pg13, jefferson, and glenn robinson. this trade is ideal for the blazers and the pacers. the blazers get an all star player meanwhile the pacers get 2 young players in crabbe and harkless that could transform into a perfect big 3 with myles turner for them. then with the 26th pick the blazers should get jonah bolden. that guy is gonna be a beast in this league.
    dame/napier
    cj/turner/pat
    pg13/aminu/robinson
    vonleh/bolden
    nurkic/jefferson/davis
    the blazers starting core get even better and in my opinion better than the warriors. the bench get simpler which is better because everyone would know what their role is every game and not expect that to change. the issues will be cure with winning and we will win 2018 championship

HailBlazers and riverman like this.
  8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If Crabbe and Harkless will turn into Indys big 3, why not keep them? Is it because there is no way in hell they do?

Pacers better off keeping PG and taking cap space if he leaves

Minstrel likes this.
  9. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

This won't be popular but Id trade CJ and draft/picks for George or Butler if they'd sign long term. Hate losing CJ but one of those two instantly make us better even with losing CJ and yes I love CJ's game but got to give to get. With two legit stars in Dame and George or Butler guys will want to come play with them.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Nothing wrong with that at all. The uncertainness attached to his future status is the only reason he's even theoretically available. If he had 3+ years remaining, he's easily worth CJ + more.

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

FUCK. YES!

12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Continue.
    To.
    Speak.
    This.
    EXISTENCE.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Nurkić gets MIP in that scenario.

:blazerwookie:

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

See, this is what irritates me about you. And honestly, it's like you're ignoring the facts on purpose... :dry:

Nurkić once got head in a bathroom and finished in the toilet...

Now there's a whole new species of fish.... :blink:

Facts bro... Facts...

15. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I think some of you kind missed the overall point of my evaluation. Of course we are all going to have different opinions but to me it's like managing a budget you get the essential lined up 1st then look to luxuries... during the planning phase. So in other words I'm not saying this is plan a or plan b I even stated that, this is the bare minimum. Once I have this plan established I look for ways to make a bigger splash.

Put another way many accused Olshey for banking on Whiteside then not having a backup plan so panicking and overpaying Turner.

So yeah you go fishing for George but then you also have you plan C in place so you are covered. To me it's easier to visual the minimum 1st then start thinking about pipe dreams.

16. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Current DX Mock (updated after the Boston-Philly trade - but they stubbornly cling to Lonzo Ball at #2) has us taking the bolded players. I like the sound of Derek White: I nominate him as this year's Malcolm Brogdon.

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I still think it's likely that Ball is the pick for the Lakers, even if I'm not sure I'd select him at #2. A lot of this is engaging in pop psychology, but I have three university degrees in internet pop psychology. I think Ball will remind Magic a lot of himself: a tall point guard who's at his best playing at breakneck pace and who's a dazzling passer. I'm sure Magic would love to revive the "Showtime" era, both substantively and in terms of image. The fact that Ball is from the LA area and went to school at UCLA just makes the connection stronger. Unless the Lakers think Ball is clearly below the other top prospects (not something I've heard out of their camp, outside of liking Fultz--someone who won't be there at #2--the best), all the narrative aspects will make a strong tie-breaker.

18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Seems like standing pat and building through the draft is what the Blazers do best. Or maybe it's just a small market team thing?

19. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

So far my "prediction" isn't far off. I didn't foresee the trade up but the net result is on target getting 2 backup posts one of whom should push Vonleh for the starting PF spot.

We took a swing on Plan A by attempting to trade for PG13, it even sounds like we (and other teams as well) made better offers than the one accepted. The Blazers can't control decisions by other teams.

20. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

So the luxury tax threshold going forward is going to be about 120 million. Next year, we're most likely going to have 75 of that tied up in Nurk/Lillard/CJ. That's leaves 45 million left for the other 10 players.

Leonard/Crabbe/Turner and consuming that by themselves. That means the salary of every other player on the roster is going to be luxury tax.