Event 2018 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Nov 16, 2017.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Rob Gray Jr. Is underrated.

Jevon Carter could have a Patrick Beverly type of role that he succeeds in.

2. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Which picks would we be looking at to maybe move up in the draft?

I think one of Clippers picks could be available. They will have both fall between 10 and 15 I think, Pistons have no hope anymore and I think Clippers themselves won't make the playoffs or will be 8th seed at best as well. Then there is also Denver who are not particularly keen on adding more young talent, as evidenced by trading away the no. 13 which turned into Mitchell last year. Phoenix might make the pick they will get from Miami available too and Washington should have a better pick than us too that we might be able to take - same with Milwaukee and Philadelphia (their own not Lakers').

Not sure what incentives we could add but to be fair to move up from no. 26 or 27 that we will have to no. 18-20 it should not really take that much. Will be much tougher to get into the lottery but I think we can go as high as 13-14 with a bit of luck.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Jalen McDaniels just declared. Living in San Diego, I've seen most of his games, but I'm not sure he's ready. If he doesn't go back to school, he'd still be an interesting project for us. He's similar to Zach where he's going to be overmatched physically as a rookie but his bball IQ, work ethic, and talent could get him on the court anyway. He's 6'10 and probably weighs 190 on a good day. Think Jonathan Isaac, but even skinnier!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  4. BonesJones

The more I watch Hutchison the more I feel like he's the next Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Dudes giving me the same "why is this dude projected so low" vibes that Donovan Mitchell did last year.

I'm gonna make this bold statement that I fully believe in: Chandler Hutchison is a better prospect than Mikal Bridges and Michael Porter Jr.

5. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    I haven’t seen enough of MPJ but I don’t know about Hutchinson being better than Mikal. I’m starting to like Knox even more though, i love his midrange game and he can stroke the 3 and moves great without the ball and his D is underrated:)

6. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Just saw a mock with Us taking Jontay Porter, hope that doesn’t happen...I’d rather roll the dice on Caleb Martin, then grab Cody Martin in the second:)

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I can see him as a guy who’s stock will rise like crazy during the combine/workouts.

I don’t see PG or Jimmy because that’s a lofty comparison for anyone but I could see him as a Rodney Hood type, which for us would be great on the bench.

8. BonesJones

He plays NOTHING like Rodney Hood though. He is much more athletic, a much, much better defender, can handle the ball in pick n rolls and distribute, as well as finish in traffic with a level of craftinesd. Hood cant do any of that.

9. BonesJones

What can Mikal do that Hutchison cant?

10. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I’m pretty sure Hood in college was a beast dude lol I like Hutch but I’m not gonna expect him to play good defense and run offense in the nba, especially considering he plays in the Mountain West conference. Hood played in the SEC and ACC.

11. BonesJones

Hood was always a jumpshooter first and slasher 2nd. I prefer guys that know how to slash ave have the ability to develop their jumper to add onto their slashing ability. Such as a Kawhi, PG, Jimmy Butler, Donovan Mitchell, etc.

Rodney Hood wild rather pull up for a long two than get to the bucket. Hutchison is nothing like that. Dude attacks constantly. Hood was never a defensive player and sucks on that end. Hutchison works and has elite defensive potential.

Paul George and Rodney Hood can look similar at first glance.

dviss1 likes this.
  12. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Mikal is a better shooter and is an elite defender. Plus he has played with really good guards (Brunson and Hart) so he knows how to play without the ball all the time.

Hoopguru and dviss1 like this.
  13. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Hutch is more fluid and aggressive than Iwundu, but I have the same questions. Doesn't have the talent off the dribble or the decision making to see much usage on ball in the NBA so his shooting because really important for him.

And I think his defense is average at best at the next level. Not physical, shaky IQ and doesn't consistently finish plays. I also think he's a good big space athlete, but not sure how quickly and explosively he is changing direction.

14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I'd be surprised if we came away from the draft with more than one player. There just isn't a lot of room on the roster unless we let several free agents walk but something tells me those spots will be saved for trades and a tax-MLE pickup.

rotary111 likes this.
  15. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Living in Boise, I have followed Hutch for a bit. Definitely a good player. I think he carves out a long NBA career, but Mikal Bridges is a much better prospect.

My issue with Hutch is that he really likes to drive left. When that gets cut off, he becomes somewhat pedestrian.

What does conference affiliation have anything to do with being a good prospect? Dame came directly out of the Big Sky and started as a rookie. Granted, that is an exception to the rule. It's rare that any rookie comes in and makes an impact... regardless of where they came from.

BonesJones likes this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The good thing is FA doesn’t start until after the draft, and some of our players contracts don’t become guaranteed until the end of June. But you know Paul loves the draft and it’s Olsheys bread and butter. I think we’ll try to move up somehow. Olshey seemingly always IDs a target and attacks. Doesn’t mean he always ends up with who he wants (ie Porzingis) but he also doesn’t just sit back and wait to see who falls in his lap.

I’ve been of the opinion that Hutchison fits what Olshey looks for on top of filling a need. The Lillard endorsement can’t hurt either. Only question is how high would we have to go to get him? If it’s the lottery, it’ll be tough.

17. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Oh I wasn't saying they weren't going to be aggressive and go after a certain guy. They most certainly will try to move up if there is a guy they like. What I was saying is that I don't think they are going to add multiple players through the draft unless trades involve guys under contract for next year.

Scalma likes this.
  18. BonesJones

Kawhi...

What can Bridges do that Hutchison cant? Every knock I've heard on Hutch is nitpicked.

19. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

There's space on the roster to develop a player who can play at 2 and 3 and that's what we should be addressing. In theory if that player shows enough promise they could either steal a 3 position from Harkless or play significant minutes as a back up to CJ and Harkless, still getting 20-25 minutes a game from the bench.

20. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Mikal is a better spot up shooter, moves off the ball, can actually shoot off movement, higher IQ and competitive defensive player, more defensive versatility (better changing direction, quicker reactions), clearer role translation...

If you believe Hutchison has initiator/high usage scorer potential in the nba I can see why someone would have them ranked as similar prospects, but I don't know how anybody can watch him and actually believe that. Doesnt beat people off the Dribble 1v1, terrible shooter of the dribble, and a pretty bad decision maker.

hoopsjock likes this.