OT 2018 NCAA Basketball FBI Investigation

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Feb 21, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Surprised no one's made a thread about this investigation yet.

I know some like to hate or tease me for the YouTube stuff (@KingSpeed, @chzbrgr, etc.) but I think this is a solid video that some of you might find interesting.

If not, this is a thread for simply talking about this investigation and scandal.

What do you guys think needs to change because of this? Would college basketball be better or worse if it was simply a "semi-pro" organization (college athletes getting paid, whether they're students or not)? If not paid, do college athletes need to be compensated more? And how could the NCAA stop things like this from happening?

Titan and SportsAndWhine like this.
  2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I don't want you to think I'm bragging......... but......... I have good friend right smack dab in the middle of this and saw him earlier this season. He said it's going to get REAL ugly. "We haven't seen shit yet!"

3. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    It will be interesting to see just how many are charged and the different sets of charges brought by each group, the FBI and NCAA. The NCAA may just say fuck it because of the sheer number of blue bloods caught up in this shit. It will totally change the way college athletics are viewed and appreciated by the common fan. I mean, they can't do what they did to Louisville for literally 10 to 20 programs. People would laugh in the NCAA's face more than they do now. Supposedly this whole thing was set off by Under Armour when they found they were losing so badly to Nike and Addidas. Sort of the, "If we can't win.... we will fuck up the whole sandbox." And also don't be suprised if local schools like Oregon are involved. In fact, pretty much everybody who's a regular winner will be dirty.

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  4. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

The most recent report I heard estimated over 30 schools will face severe punishment. The article recently posted by a yahoo writer said it all. I remember a quote in there saying something to the affect of, if the findings were made public today you would see a championship game that consisted of Arkansas St and Tennessee Chattanooga because they would be the only teams left after the FBI punishments.

In other words.... shits about to get crazy.

Wizard Mentor and SportsAndWhine like this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

It's going to be awesome! These big basketball schools will leave the NCAA rather than face sanctions. They will pay players to play for them. Little Portland Oregon finally killed amatuer athletics! WE DID IT!

6. ripcityboy

self employed
    Would have been nice to win a Natty before all this happened. Just sayin.' Of course, if it was erased then it really didn't mean shit anyway. But I like the fact that I don't have to just rep the Blazers when I want people to know where I come from. The Ducks do that too.

SlyPokerDog and SportsAndWhine like this.
  7. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I don't feel like watching your video, no offense Bones. I'm multitasking enough as is. What is the general gist of this ncaa scandal?

8. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Video killed the radio star, shoe companies killed college basketball.

9. ripcityboy

self employed
    Sly, TV more than did it's part. ESPN's contracts killed a lot of smaller rivalries that used to make up college basketball. Now those same rivalries don't mean shit unless they are on Tobacco Road.

10. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

ESPN turned the NCAA into McDonalds for Sports.

Wizard Mentor and BonesJones like this.
  11. BonesJones

None taken. It's a complicated situation though. Basically college athletes got paid over here, and over there coaches got paid by financial advisors/agents to pressure their athletes into signing with those entities once they left college, Adidas had a role with a 5-Star Recruit named Brian Bowen, swaying him to commit to Louisville with a bribe with the expectation that it would lead to Bowen signing an endorsement deal with the company when he went pro.. Coaches have been arrested, and even though I did a whole video on it and hours of research before-hand, I still feel like I don't have a full understanding of it all, since it seems like a lot of situations are somewhat different yet based on illegal bribery and fraud (which is where the FBI comes in). Around half of the top 16 teams in the country are involved (and reportedly anywhere between 36 and 50 teams), legendary coaches are expected to get outed and subsequently fired, top programs will crumble and the face of college basketball will completely change. It's been speculated by the media that all or portions of D1 college basketball might turn into a "semi-pro" league with players getting played to play for colleges, which would still retain the schools namesake, colors, mascot, location, etc... however those players wouldn't have to be enrolled at the college. Much like an NBA city hosts an NBA team instead it would be the college hosting a college team.

12. BonesJones

I just hope it'll spread out commitments of top recruits to many different schools. Imagine if the Top 30-40 recruits went to mostly different schools. The parity would be awesome, and many schools would be "must watch".

If Michael Porter Jr. were healthy, people would be tuning in to watch Missouri basketball, even though they don't have anyone else notable. It's the same way with Collin Sexton and Alabama. Mohammed Bamba and Texas.

13. BonesJones

I love hearing your inside knowledge, as I think we all do.

Knowing how long the FBI can drag things out before revealing information they've known for a while, I wonder when the hammer will start to fall on some of these top programs. I believe what you're friend says 100%. The programs that fucked up know that the FBI knows.. They're essentially lame ducks waiting to be executed.

14. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

So, @Denny Crane would call it a "nothing burger". Got ya.

e_blazer and BonesJones like this.
  15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Gonna get real ugly for so many

BonesJones likes this.
  16. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

I think this is pathetic that businesses can't wait till they go pro. Where will it end is what I'm wondering, you do one sports corruption you do all sports.

I listened to some espn talk show talking about this topic. You're only sorry once you get caught and they got caught.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

So do half of the men's salaries go to the women hoop players under Title IX? I'm all for a semi-pro (development) league outside of colleges, but I don't want college athletes getting paid to play. I think Title IX will prevent that from happening anyway. It's not like 90% of the top players actually go to class anyway. The universities won't want to give up the cash cow, but something will have to change.

18. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

felt the same way the first time I saw you walk in to a meet and greet! #BAM

BonesJones likes this.
  19. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Here's something that never occurred to me until just now: why aren't coaches' salaries subject to Title IX regulations? There are restrictions on how many scholarships can be offered because the expenditure has to be equal between men's and women's sports, but why isn't that equality applicable to all aspects of collegiate athletics? You know Alabama isn't spending a comparable $11M on women's sports to offset what they pay to Nick Saban.

20. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Most of the coaches salaries are coming from boosters, apparel agreements, and other sources.

I think they do that exactly to avoid the title IX stuff. Since the $ doesn't come from state or federal funds, those requirements don't apply.