2019/20 Blazers 1.0 vs Blazers 2.0

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Jun 4, 2020.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    On opening night, the Blazers lost to the Denver Nuggets 108-100. Denver will start the revamped season as the #3 seed at 43-22 while the Blazers are fighting seeminly half the WC for the right to have a play-in game between the #8/9 seeds at 29-37.

As much as both teams seasons have gone in different directions record wise, the Blazers will have quite the different roster when the season potentially resumes July 31.

Opening Night:
    Collins / Hood / Whiteside / Lillard / McCollum
    Tolliver / Skal / Hezonja / Bazemore / Simons
    DNP - Little / Trent Jr.

Re-Opening Night: (possible)
    Collins / Carmello / Nurkic / Lillard / McCollum
    Ariza / Little / Whiteside / Simons / Trent
    Gabriel / Hezonja / Swanigan

Who knows how quickly the reboot squad can jell but every team will be facing the same level of rust and many will be getting players back off of some type of injury. But Portland will have probably the biggest influx of talent and change from the beginning of the season.

Nurkic back: Whiteside filled in admirably and can do some things Nurk can't, but there is no doubt that the Blazers function better with the big Bosnian in the middle. Add to that, Whiteside being a beast on the 2nd unit instead of having to resort to Swanigan as your back up center and this is a HUGE upgrade for the Blazers.

[​IMG]

Collins returns: Minus Nurkic, the Blazers brought in size in Whiteside. Minus Collins, the Blazers were dreadfully small at PF on most nights with a variety of Tolliver, Ariza, Anthony, Gabriel and other much less suited options. Collins has the size/mobility the Blazers have desperately been missing since his injury. Another big improvement which adds to the depth coming off the bench.
    [​IMG]

Ariza: The best 3&D player the Blazers have who is a playoff veteran and should have fresh legs for the sprint down the stretch.
    [​IMG]

Carmelo: Speaking of fresh legs, 'fresh' Melo is significantly better than tired, overused Melo. He now has the opportunity to excel playing shorter minuts coming off several months of rest. The defense still won't be good but on offense, I hope he is much more efficient.
    [​IMG]

Trent: This wasn't a change in the roster but a big change in terms of development. He was becoming a solid contributor off the bench and adds some scrap and attitude that the Blazers certainly need.
    [​IMG]

It's a long shot, but if this 'new' roster can jell, they could make a run, beat the #8 seed twice in the play-in game, and at least give the Lakers a bit of a challenge instead of the all-to-frequent season ending sweep.

It will just be good to see most of the old gang back again.

2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

The future's so bright, we gotta wear shades.

3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

There is certainly an opportunity here to make the best out of what has been a pretty bad season.

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I posted this in the other thread but here is what the battle for the 8th seed in the west looks like.

So, each team will play 8 regular season games. The next 8 on their schedule skipping the teams who didn't make it. After the 8 games if the team in 9th is within 4 games of the team in 8th, they play each other twice. 9th seed has to win both to get 8th. Here are the current standings and game schedules for 8th and 9th seeds in the west. I have removed the teams in these schedules who didn't make it to Disney World because those games will not be played.

MEM
    (32- 33 8th)

Next 8 Games: POR, UTA, SAS, OKC, MIL, NO, NO, BOS

POR (29-37 T-9th)

Next 8 Games: MEM, HOU, DAL, BOS, PHI, BKN, Lakers*, Miami or Orlando*

NOP (28-36 T-9th)

Next 8 Games: SAC, UTA, LAC, SAS, MEM, SAC, MEM, WAS

Kings (28-36 T-9th)

Next 8 Games: NO, BKN, DAL, HOU, NO, SAS, LAC, LAL

SPURS (27-36 T - 9th)

Next 8 Games: DEN, MEM, NO, UTA, UTA, DEN, SAC, NO

HailBlazers and RR7 like this.
  5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

For some reason they are allowing the Wizards a chance in the east even though they don't stand one. Here is battle for 8th in the east.

ORL (30-35 8th E)

Next 8 Games: SAC, BRK, IND, BRK, NO, BOS, PHI, BOS

WAS (24-40 9th E)

Next 8 Games: BOS, OKC, PHI, BRK, MIL, BOS, MIL, LAL

6. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Great post, @TBpup. I agree, and am actually more bullish than you. This squad, when healthy and now with Carmelo and Ariza, can be very dangerous. And don't underestimate the killer mindset of Dame which is the straw that stirs the drink. This is one guy who knows an opportunity when he sees it.

So happy to get to say again . . .

Go Blazers!

7. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

@Chris Craig ....it seems quite possible that more than just 1 team ends up within 4 games of #8. What happens then? Probably just missed the NBA explaining it but MEM has a tough schedule and many teams behind them could catch up. Inquiring bored out of their mind people want to know.

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Am curious to see final details. But looking at the western conference standings, 9-13 all have played different amount of games/have different records except for N.O. and Sacramento. Those two teams are slated to play eachother. at least once. Because of the different amount of games played, it seems highly unlikely two teams would finish with the same winning percentage.

Eastoff likes this.
  9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

So would it be the team closest to #8 that is the #9 seed regardless of amount of games played? Agreed, because of uneven games, it's not likely to end in a tie. I just thought I saw something about if a team was within 4 games of #8 but it would make sense that if multiple teams are within that 4 games, it is the team with the best winning percentage rate regardless of games played.

Eastoff likes this.
  10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I would assume it's just the 1 team that is closest. Obviously I don't know, am just guessing based on the little info we have received. And would assume in the rare case there was a tie for 9th, like N.O. and Sacramento each go like 7-1 or something, then normal standings tie breakers apply?

Eastoff, TBpup and Chris Craig like this.
  11. Chris Craig

Tie breakers for ninth, winning %, division etc

Eastoff and TBpup like this.
  12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

So the Blazers just have to keep within 4 games of the #8 seed while staying ahead of every other chasing team (getting it would be better), then sweep the 2 game play-in series, and then go on the road to face the Lakers and the 3 striped Laker fans who will be reffing?

Oh well, it's good to have basketball again no matter what.

13. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Does anyone understand what our schedule will be?

I have a pal who is convinced we play the Lakers twice in that 8 game wrap-up schedule but @Chris Craig 's post above is totally different.

Chris Craig likes this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Great thread Tpup! Thanks for this....I agree...we will be in better shape than many other teams with fresh legs and a deeper bench...this is going to be fun to watch...this team can beat the Lakers if they play to their potential in a first round matchup

TBpup and Hoopguru like this.
  15. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Start Hassan

16. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I think Stotts will depending on match ups play Nurk & Hassan together, especially against Lakers.

Eastoff likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Zach will really help us on defense when Melo is on the court...those two should feast off each other's games...Zach has that speed and Melo has court vision

18. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I would love to see them out there together!

HailBlazers and riverman like this.
  19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I really think this break helped 'Melo as much as anyone. He was gassed from age and playing WAY too many minutes. Now, he will be refreshed, it will be a short stretch no matter how long it goes, and with the return of Nurk/Zach, he should be closer to the 15-20 minute range.

Nurkic/Whiteside 22-28 each
    Collins 28-32/ Melo 15-20 /
    Ariza 28-32 / Trent/Little?/Hezonja?
    CJ 32-36 / Trent
    Dame 34-38 / Simons

Gabriel won't see the court although I like him better than some others that will get minutes. Don't want to see Swanigan.

Eastoff and riverman like this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I actually like Hoard alot

rotary111, Eastoff and TBpup like this.