2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Aug 20, 2018.

1. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Not big on Admiral. Size, shot making and the intangibles are intriguing, but don't like how he moves and don't think he rebounds or defends nearly well enough to play the 4. IQ comes and goes on both ends too much for me.

Hard to find a role for him for those reasons. To explain it in the most confusing but only way possible for me....he's kinda like a less skilled, worse moving, but higher energy Semi Ojeleye imo.

Grant is definitely my favorite of the 2. Another player who has positional/play style translation questions on both ends, but I think he'll stretch to 3 and I've seen enough as a perimeter defender to think he has a chance to be a valuable low usage small ball 4 on the right team. Like a more athletic, but less competitive PJ Tucker.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  2. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

He's a pretty divisive player among the guys I talk to. Interested to see what you think of him.

I'll hold onto my thoughts until you watch him though.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Admiral doesn't need to play the four. He's skilled enough to play the 3. You don't like how "he moves"? I don't understand what you mean by that haha.

Less skilled Ojeleye? I don't see it. Schofield is a more pure shooter than Ojeleye IMO. His form should translate to the NBA 3pt line. Much better mid-range shooter, passer, and ball-handler. Much more of a volume scorer for a much better team than Ojeleye was in college. Much more fluid too, so I have no idea how you say he's a "worse moving version of Ojeleye". He might not have the athleticism, but he's more agile and more efficient with his movement. And Ojeleye would be solid if he could hit NBA 3s.

James lamphear likes this.
  4. BonesJones

Sadly I haven't watched nearly as much college basketball as I have in past years. But I watched a LOT in previous years.

5. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

The movement comment was more on the defensive end. Semi could really sit and move laterally and I think was more disciplined overall. Schofield definitely plays with more energy, (it's something I knocked Semi for when I evaluated him) but I'm not sure it translates to anything of real value defensively, especially when you consider the questionable IQ.

Definitely agree on the mid range game comment mainly due to Admiral's higher release and ability to shoot fading away and from more difficult angles, but both put up very similar numbers on 2pt jumpers and I'm not sure either ever have the role or usage to make much use of that skill.

Passing and ball handling are a wash imo. I could see the eye test reasoning since Schofield has more change of direction as a dribbler and willing to take more risks as a passer, but I'm not sure the difference is major and as a likely role player, I think I'd prefer the safer play style of Semi.

Ultimately though, I think they're pretty close as prospects. Both very fringe level guys imo.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  6. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

People slowly recognizing Tyler Herro as a legitimate first round pick this year. I guess a 29 point breakout will do that, but the talent has always been there.

Leaning out and handling vs pressure are still things NBA teams are going to want to see him improve.

EDIT* Just showed up on Tankathon's mock for the first time at #22 to Boston.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Fascinated to see who Atlanta ends up with their two likely lottery picks.

De'Andre Hunter and Jaxson Hayes feels like the optimal result. And if they end up with those two, they may just be my favorite young team going forward.

Young/Huerter/Hunter/Collins/Hayes makes a lot of sense on both ends, even though I still think John Collins is overrated and a tough fit on a contending team as a starter.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  8. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Brandon.

Clarke.

tester551 likes this.
  9. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Louis King starting to turn it on.

Motor and assertiveness were always the main issues with him, but that looks to be improving in the games I've seen. Still not sure if he's just a front runner though, where those things come and go depending on how he's doing in the box score.

But if it's real, no reason why he couldn't sneak into the lottery.

10. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

The beginning of the year in most mocks he was lottery pick but him not be able start the season hurt him this year draft. Right most mocks got him in the 2nd I think he should play another year in college.

JDC likes this.
  11. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Yup.

He'll likely test the waters though regardless. And he's the type that could really shine in a combine setting.

12. BonesJones

I was honestly surprised to read this from you. Are you a Duck fan? I didn't think you were.

Right now he has the draft stock of a 2nd round prospect. Always thought he had a lot of potential but was going to be a project. So maybe he could sneak into the 1st round, but I have a hard time seeing him get into the lottery.

13. BonesJones

Ty Jerome should be much higher ranked. He's this years Landry Shamet (or a better passing Malcolm Brogdon?). He's a very good 3pt shooter, can play either guard spot because he can handle and distribute the ball and he's 6'5. He's also a very solid defender that's played in a great defensive system. Whether or not he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of elite NBA guards remains to be seen, but I think this guy is a top 20 prospect at least and he's been projected around the very late 1st to early 2nd.

14. BonesJones

I think Jerome is a guy who could come in and play right away and help us win, much like Brogdon did in Milwaukee and Shamet did in Philadelphia.

15. BonesJones

16. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Not a Duck fan, just think he's interesting.

I like his mix of positional size, athleticism, fluidity, decent shooting splits / mechanics, skill with the ball, and solid IQ on both ends. That'll be enough to get a look in that range imo if he keeps up his recent level of play. Especially in a draft like this one.

And really like Jerome as a basketball player, but not sure if he's enough of an athlete for the NBA. I've wanted to compare him to Tomas Satoransky in the past, but couldn't do it because of that.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  17. BonesJones

But you look at a guy like Shamet who isn't particularly athletic and he's been able to fill a roll on good teams as a rookie. I see the same type of player in Jerome except I think he can be a little better as a passer and much better defensively. Not a guy that'll be a great NBA starter, but a guy who should be able to instantly help a team and play a decent-sized roll off the bench. For a guy slotted to go in the late-first and early-second, that's really good value if you're not going to go the Simons route and swing for the fences.

JDC likes this.
  18. BonesJones

Also, I know he's a little more athletic and has a little better feel for the game, but I still get Caleb Swanigan vibes from P.J. Washington.

19. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Yeah, not a fan of PJ either.

Big thing for me is his poor defensive rebounding and he doesn't move well on the perimeter, despite slimming done considerably this year.

Just not sure what he brings at his size on either end at an NBA level that wouldn't keep a coach from playing a wing instead of him.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  20. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the role you see Jerome playing.

And I know you weren't comparing them directly, but the nice thing about Shamet is that I think he's pretty fast moving around screens and the way he gets into his shot allows him to get threes up at a high volume. When I watch Ty in Virginia's mover-blocker scheme, I don't see a guy that'll be able to be used that way in the NBA. Bit of a plodder and doesn't always get into his shot as quickly as you'd like.

Also think Shamet is a better athlete laterally and in space rotating and closing out to shooters. Can get away with sticking him on some PG's and solid at chasing shooters.

Ty is a guy that I think needs to have the ball in his hands more to bring value and I just don't see enough from him athletically or as a scoring threat in that role to not be very switchable in pnr or be able to create the passing lanes necessary to make enough use of his excellent feel in the NBA.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019