2019 Offseason Storylines 1: Mario Hezonja

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Wizard Mentor, Jul 15, 2019.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    uhh 45.8 would be rounded to 46 and 43.1 would be rounded down to 43 which the difference would be 3 percent...? I know it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet but what am I missing? lol

2. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

My point is that at this time in the offseason, and with only the minimum to offer, the chances of finding a backup PG who can also knock down threes at a high rate (basic Blazer offense) is probably very unlikely, and that player would likely non-rotation talent that we are forced to play in the rotation because of bad planning.

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Portland needs to sign someone else ASAP because these convos are getting sooo dorky.

BBert, Propagandist and Reep like this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I think you're just oversensitive. He was asked if Nas would be in the rotation THIS year.... which is ridiculous on our team, and of course he's not going to say "no" and limit the guy. He said "if he plays so well that the coaching staff can't keep him off the floor, he'll play" (I'm paraphrasing). He didn't say Nas will play.

Right now Nas is Kidd-Gilchrist, which is pretty freaking great. But MKG never developed a jump shot, and Nas is already on the way.

e_blazer likes this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

You had two of your four guys with negligible decline. Its also nothing substantial, in terms of Crabbe having one season of overachievement before leaving.

Harkless 18% was an abboration as well. That 18% was on 56 3pt attempts. The year before he had a much larger sample of 38% on 154 3pt attwmpts. He was a career 31% 3pt shooter before coming to Portland.

Aminu's 3pt shooting didnt improve from anything more than an improvement in form. Check his form before and after Portland.

You also have to take into account that, with a consistent role and natural progression, Layman would've improved his 3pt% here as well.

And Hezonja would have to mightily improve to be even an average shooter. Again, banking on such sizeable improvement for a team trying to contend isnt good. The expectations for him are far too high.

UKRAINEFAN and illmatic99 like this.
  6. BonesJones

Thats the problem. People are setting extremely high expectations for Hezonja based off of limited highlights.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Stances like this would have more merit if it didn’t come from the same person who a week ago was ready to throw the 25th pick in the draft into the starting lineup of a playoff team.

mook likes this.
  8. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I have to admit I don't really get the point of comparing Hezonja to Layman or Harkless. Harkless was a great defender, and when he played with energy could impact the game on offense to a limited degree. Layman moved great without the ball and had a pretty shooting stroke, that didn't seem to consistently work. Hezonja is more a Swiss Army kind of player. Not a great defender or outside shooter, but rebounds, has vision and can pass, and can handle the ball better than either of the other two. Why not compare Hezonja to Nurkic?

Does anyone really believe that Hezonja does NOT have better handles, passing, mid-range scoring and rebounding, than Layman or Harkless? (Harkless is 5.8 Reb/36 for career; Hezonja is also 5.8 Reb/36 for career, but is younger and had 7.1 Reb/36 last year.). The three just aren't comparable.

mook and Pinwheel1 like this.
  9. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    From CBS: The Blazers made a big move to replace the injured Jusuf Nurkic with Whiteside, a polarizing player to say the least. They're hoping a fresh start in their positive culture will get him going, but it certainly could go the other way. Bazemore is a solid addition, but losing Harkless and Aminu will hurt the defense, while they also lost shooting with Curry's departure. If Mario Hezonja is expected to get actual playing time for you, you have to question how your offseason went. Offseason grade: C

BBert and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  10. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I have to wonder sometimes how many of these people actually watched the team last year. If you watched the playoff games it's hard to not see that Harkless and Aminu where the ceiling of this team. Keeping them doesn't make the team better. I don't know if the team will be better next season, but at least there is a very good shot that they will be. I'm glad Olshey took a shot at it rather than hoping for better results from the same lineup with the same weaknesses.

mook, Dougnsalem, Titan and 5 others like this.
  11. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired

Bingo. It always amazes me the debbie downers immediately come out and dog on a new player who hasn't played a single game for us yet.

gatorpops, Hoopguru and BBert like this.
  12. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I think because many of us fans really want to have a good point forward on the team (which should bring a more varied, exciting offense); we have a hope that is probably irrational that somehow the synchronicity of a new team, new coach, new system and another year older will bring a miraculous transition in Hezonja's game. We'll probably be disappointed, but you can't stop us from hoping!

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The same amount as every other year.

Reep likes this.
  14. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Probably because of their position. But to your point the NBA is becoming more position-less. It is all about match ups and your Swiss Army Knife description is valid. Eventually I am hoping to see a Nurk, Zach, and Mario line up with Dame and CJ........and a Dame, CJ, Mario, with either Hood or Baze and either Nurk or Zach. (or Whiteside)

Bottom line is that having that versatile player at 6'8" 230-240 who can guard bigger wings and smaller PF's while being able to dribble, pass, and shoot is intriguing. Not saying he will ever be the defender Draymond is but I am pretty sure he will be a better offensive player at the same size. Which most of us have been hoping for. GS got really lucky with Green and we will have to get really lucky for it to happen with Mario. But here is to hoping.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Reep likes this.
  15. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

The posters asked why in that chart, curry shooting % went from 43 to 45 which would seemingly be a 2% increase, but the chart says 3%

In your example, it would go from 43% to 46%, so the 3% would be correct. You're therefore not explaining the problem.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

first off...nice work Mook, I like the format you used

but it's no fun not to quibble so here goes:

* I think you have to throw Harkless out. His entire career is outlier, and nothing is more outy than his 3 point percentages:

2012-13 .274 2013-14 .383 2014-15 .179 2015-16 .279 2016-17 .351 2017-18 .415 2018-19 .275

he's all over the map and there's no correlations to be found IMO
    --------------------------------------------
    * I don't think Curry is notable. Yeah he shot 45% in Portland after 42.5% the year before. But the previous season, he shot 45% so he just came back to a level he'd already established
    ---------------------------------------------
    there are other players to look at for the 'joining Portland bump'

* Sasha Pavlovich went up from .293 to .300; but he had 5 previous season well above .300. No trend
    * Mo Williams dropped from .383 to .369
    * Dorrell Wright dropped from .374 to .342
    * Napier jumped from .327 to .370
    * Stauskas dropped .404 to .344
    ------------------------------------------------

I don't think there's as much of a Portland bump as it's made out to be. My theory would be that since Portland tries to maximize 3 point opportunities and the coaches encourage players to shoot them, it instills a little more confidence in the shooters

but there are all levels of 3 point shooters. Great ones like Seth Curry. Above average like CJ. Average like Dame and Mo Williams. Generally undependable like Aminu, Harkless, Stauskas, etc. And terrible like ET. The system those undependable shooters play in might give them a little more juice, but it doesn't really change their nature. By and large they kind of suck. Sometimes they get hot...for a short stretch, but mostly, they chip paint

Hezonja has shot 755 three's so there's no sample size issue. He's made 32% over 4 seasons with a high of .349 (1st season) and a low of .276 (last season). He's not been a good shooter...that's pretty clear. Probably the best you can hope for is he tracks like Aminu, but that still leaves him as an undependable shooter; and that means he'll have to bring a lot more to the floor. Aminu brought really good defense and strong rebounding. What Hezonja will actually bring is unclear right now

Paine Tablet likes this.
  17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

don't agree with c, id give them a B.
    They acquire one of the best defensive 5's in the league to cover for Nurk, by trading two players that haven't been all that consistent. This transaction is a B in itself.
    Then we acquire a young player to replace Turner that can flat out play both ends. That trade is an A itself.
    Sign Herzonga - he will contribute more than Curry all around..
    Sign Rodney Hood..thats a B at least
    Tolliver is a legit vet PF of which we haven't had for a few years.
    We now have wings with great IQ and much better shooting, imo. Our Defense with the newly acquired guys will be better than last years.
    Legit B sumer transactions - C is average and ours was above average

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    gatorpops and Pinwheel1 like this.
  18. BonesJones

Oh chill out. I suggested him as a possible token Vonleh-type starter. Shamet was drafted 26th last year and served that role for two different playoff teams. Obviously that idea was dependent upon how far along hed be his rookie year, which became evident after summer league.

19. BonesJones

It always amazes me how youre always conplaining about other people. Chill.

Propagandist likes this.
  20. BonesJones

Evan Turner had a the same advantages. Howd that workout?

And why would we compare a forward to a Centwr instead of othwr forwards?

Propagandist likes this.