Politics 2020 Debate part 2

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by crandc, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Where did you get the totally false idea that I think poor people are more deserving of health care than the wealthy? To further clarify, I'm saying that the poor ought to get reasonable health care. For me, it's a Christian value.
    By the way, when my mother-in-law lived with us she had zero health insurance and we got zero deductible from her health care for having no health care insurance.

2. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Then tithe to your heart's content. There's nothing at all Christian about stealing other people's money for your own purposes.

The government is forbidden from collecting/spending taxes for religious purposes.

3. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Pete Buttigieg's question to woman who shook RFK's hand takes awkward turn

By Alex Pappas | Fox News
    White House hopeful Mayor Pete Buttigieg flies private more than any other 2020 Democrat.

Presidential candidate and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg had an awkward campaign trail encounter Tuesday with a woman in Iowa who told him she once met the late-Robert F. Kennedy.

The Democrat was campaigning at the Iowa State Fair when a woman approached him and said she met Kennedy in 1968, according to a tweet from a CNN producer.

“I shook Robert Kennedy’s hand in 1968,” the woman told him.

Buttigieg responded: “So you’re good luck?”

“Not really— he was shot a month later,” the woman said.

4. Lanny

You didn't even come close to answering my question. You could have at least said "I have no idea".

5. Lanny

I once shook the hand of John Kennedy. It was at the Lloyd Center probably in 1960.

6. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Hickenlooper is said to be announcing his exit tomorrow. Hopefully he's running for Senate instead.

barfo

Lanny likes this.
  7. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

ehizzy3 and VanillaGorilla like this.
  8. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I thought Obamacare was atrocious when it happened. It helped a few at the expense of many more. Of COURSE I wish everyone had health insurance. But you don’t give it to millions at the expense (huge expense, not like a few bucks each) of everyone else. When deductibles and premium go up like this, you have a terribly broken system. I think the way out is thru massive changes that might not make anyone happy in the short term. It’ll never happen because the way politics is now neither side will budge. One side will push Medicare for all and the other wants to go back to private insurance and the poor will have to figure it out (meaning just go to the ER). I think insurance companies should have a maximum profit. Same with hospitals. Nobody in good conscience should be happy about the nations largest insurer posting profits YOY in the billions and paying their CEO $40m a year. It just can’t happen. I’m all for people making money but not when people are literally losing their lives because they can’t afford care.

jonnyboy likes this.
  9. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Yes. The worst thing about that program was loading young people with huge costs for health insurance required by the government. Where rightfully they belong in a risk pool that should be very low cost. The government has no authority to screw around
    with business or peoples lives in this way. This sort of thing should only happen by the super majority required by a Constitutional amendment. Very doubtful such a thing could pass.

10. Lanny

He's next.

11. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

The next president? I'm down for that.

12. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    My feeling when I look at the candidates from the Dems and I look at Trump is this is a great time to move. *shrugs*

13. VanillaGorilla

14. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  15. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

It’s to the point now where i can not fathom why someone votes for Trump. The only reason most people will vote trump at this point is to just dig their heels in and not admit what a clusterfuck he is. (Outside the people who actually enjoy the racism etc)

16. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I know a few people who I don't believe are racists that like Trump because they agree with some of the policies and things he’s done. People have different values, perspectives, etc. Its not that I cant fathom why someone may vote for him, I just see no reason why I would.

That said I actually brought myself to watch some of the debates and I wasn't all that impressed with any of them either. I’ll probably vote 3rd party again, because Im honestly sick of the Dems/Republicans. At least being in Oregon it really doesnt matter who I vote for its going blue anyways lol.

17. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. I think people had legitimate reasons for rolling the dice on him the first time around, they felt pretty fucked over by Obama and Hillary is a soulless political creature. I don’t think people deserve as much flak as they get for voting for him the first time (unless it was for racist reasons, which I assure you is a VERY small fraction of people), they were just tired of the establishment and said fuck it. But, at this venture Trumps proven to be a clown and a sellout. Time to roll the dice again.

18. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Ok. But at this point...what policy could possibly override the person. I just can’t imagine anything. The one thing he had going for him was the perception that the economy was strong. That reality is dwindling by the day.

19. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I think the flak is part of the problem. The problem with attack, attack, attack is that always leads to someone getting defensive. For a couple years now most conservatives have been told their racists literally because they voted for Trump. A lot of those people have dug their heels in just because, they have been personally attacked. It has played both ways at times, but you never ultimately “win”, a debate or an argument, or a vote by telling people how much you hate them because of the way they voted. Which amongst my conservative friends, seems to be how they feel. Like most of the left will call them racists and whatever unless they do exactly what the left tells them to do. So theres a bit of a, “screw you, you arent my boss”, going on.

The problem is the right has done the same thing for years.

The rhetoric of the both sides imo is so divisive, and purposefully out to make it, “you’re with me or against me”, they say they want “whats best”, but what they’re really saying is we want whats best for those agree with me and thats it. Which goes back to why Trump sucks IMO. A leaders gotta look beyond himself, and try to do whats right for all, there will always be disagreement, but he literally seeks it out and drives it home.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    barfo and jonnyboy like this.
  20. VanillaGorilla

I get that people have differing opinions and that's fine, but I think supporting Trump is ridiculous and it says something (bad) about a person. It has nothing to do with racism specifically, it's just the fact of supporting a man like him. That's what I thought in 2015 as well. How someone can look at him and listen to him and decide he's anything close to a trustworthy person is just insane to me.

calvin natt likes this.