Politics 2020 Field - DNC

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Further, Jan 1, 2019.

1. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Nobody suggested you were a Democrat. Read slowly bud.

MARIS61 and donkiez like this.
  2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

No need to read slowly...I can read you, ...like a comic book.

3. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

My point is that he is a credible candidate with a good message who deserves more respect than you, old school democrats and MSNBC give him. You are admittedly quoting polling numbers that you don't endorse as good methodology and give MSNBC a pass on ignoring him during the debate and omitting him from graphics he has earned the right to be part of. Why do you feel like you need to work so hard to dismiss him? If you want a unified democratic party then you should endorse a legitimate process.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Is he a credible candidate? Overall I'd agree with that, but it depends on your definition of credible. By credible do you mean electable? Qualified? Something else?

On the qualified scale, I'd say he's basically a random smart guy with a good sense of humor. He doesn't actually have any qualifications for the job other than that.
    He's probably more qualified than Marianne Williamson (and of course Donald Trump), but I'm not sure there are any other less qualified candidates. Maybe you could say Tom Steyer?

On the electable scale, I'd say he's borderline electable (given Trump, we can never say never again). But unless his poll numbers increase drastically in the next few weeks, he'll cease to be plausibly electable.

To be clear, I don't endorse just averaging different polls, because there are some polls that are just crap, either methodologically or because of partisanship. Those should be thrown out or at least given a lower weight. But that said, there's no way that Yang is at 8 or 10% no matter how you select the polls. Maybe he's at 4% instead of 3%. He just hasn't caught on. Maybe he still will. There is still time. But it hasn't happened yet.

Why do people feel they need to work so hard to make excuses for him? Fact is, every candidate faces some headwinds. And only one candidate can win.

What is a legitimate process? Can the party order MSNBC to put Yang's name on their graphics?

Yang made the December 19 debate. More conventional democrats like Booker and Castro didn't. And yet you think Yang has reason to complain about the process?

barfo

5. donkiez

Im sure we could argue credibility all day long. It's not like he has been a mayor of South Bend for 7 years, that's pretty much like running a country right?

You are working really hard at that narrative. His support has been increasing. Its still very early in the process and he is making benchmarks and qualifying for debates still, he is still getting his name out there. What he has done this year coming from nowhere has been pretty impressive, despite your odd attempt to dismiss and discredit it.

No one is making excuses. Just pointing out obvious BS. MSNBC is basically the FOX news of the democratic party, and the people who follow it line for line are no better than FOX News Trumpers from a different party.

Yes Yang has every right to complain about MSNBC and their BS. The December debate was a great accomplishment by his campaign which he can brag about, and he accomplished it despite certain media bias. Booker didn't even qualify and he is a great candidate also, I personally would like to see more of him. This all seems to contradict your earlier point that he isn't catching on.

I was surprised to find out Castro was still running.

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Do you ever ask yourself why you have so much trouble with so many people? It's possible they could all be wrong and you are right but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

yankeesince59 likes this.
  7. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I actually like yang if I “had” to vote democrat he’d probably be my choice, but MSNBC, Fox and all that stuff are going to follow the green, if Yang isnt getting the clicks / views, they arent going to promote him.

donkiez likes this.
  8. barfo

It's definitely the case that Pete is very thin on qualifications as well. Not quite as thin as Yang, Pete has at least that tiny bit of tiny-government experience.

I'm neither discrediting it or dismissing it. He started with name recognition of absolute zero, and at least by some measures, is now a top-7 candidate. That is impressive!

But he's also a long way from being a real contender. Maybe this debate will change his trajectory. So far it has not been a rapid rise, and since he started at zero, he needs a rapid rise.

He has every right to, but he should resist the temptation. It makes him look quite petty.

And Amy accomplished it despite sexism, and Corey failed because of racism, and Biden overcame his stutter, and Bernie overcame his heart attack, and Pete accomplished it despite homophobia, etc. etc. etc. Everyone's got challenges they could point to if they were so inclined.

Being left off of a few MSNBC graphics and yet continuing to campaign is not an example of legendary bravery in the face of the enemy.

barfo

yankeesince59 likes this.
  9. donkiez

I think you confusing me and JB trying to convince you that it is not just some accident with him complaining and being petty. I think he has handled it well.

Sure ok, this is the DNC most of those are positives till they have to face the GOP.

I don't think anyone has made that claim. Your dismissal of it as business as usual is just causing more of a discussion on it, that's all.

A few is actually 14 though

10. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Look in the mirror bud. You’re on here fighting more than I am.

I’m also conservative leaning in a forum full of people from Portland Oregon. And actually, with that being said, I fare pretty well. You are one of about 3 people who respond to my every post negatively. I get along with most others pretty well.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  11. barfo

I don't have a problem with that. I'm happy to discuss Yang and his persecution complex :)

barfo

12. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

At this point I’m just waiting for Pantsuit McCankles now to enter.

MARIS61 likes this.
  13. donkiez

I think Barfo's antagonist complex is more relevant.

MARIS61 likes this.
  14. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    My difficulties lie mostly with you and Maris. In this I think I'm in good company.

15. yankeesince59

^^^This.

16. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    False.

Totally new rules this year, dependent upon supposedly reliable polling from DNC selected puppet media.

The DNC controls who is in the debates, who is ahead in the "polls"...

All fake news.

17. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Can I co-sign this post to Lanny (and the other 2 posters)? :dunno:

It's funny because they probably think you and I agree on everything.

bodyman5000 and 1 and jonnyboy like this.
  18. yankeesince59

Name dropper.

19. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I hate to weigh in on petty political spats that have no real “right” answer but what the f**k. Some people have a need to spend their lives pissed off and I’m here to help.......I have to agree with @jonnyboy when he says, “I’m also conservative leaning in a forum full of people from Portland Oregon. And actually, withthat being said, I fare pretty well. You are one of about 3 people who respond to my every post negatively. I get along with most others pretty well.” Some people in this forum don’t like opinions that are contrary to their own and when it happens they get their panties in a very tight wad. They’d rather make snarky comments than debate in good faith. Others (ahem, Lanny) choose flight from the discussion when they find they can’t sell their point of view. They choose to dismiss the ones they disagree with as a “waste of their time” (or place far more value on their higher education than it is actually worth is these types of discussion) rather than ponder the idea they might be wrong once in awhile, or that perhaps a story has more than one side to it. And that is on both sides of The Great Divide”. It’s disgusting, no matter your political persuasion.

I guess I’m not in the aforementioned “good company”, because I for one am tired of what has become the “S2 (and “Democratic”) Narrative”; mainly that all liberals are good and all conservatives are bad. I consider myself a moderate. I loath Donald Trump and am utterly appalled by the things he has done, but I also think that AOC is just this side of an idiot. So sue me. @jonnyboy has stated numerous times that he does not like Trump and does not support him, but that he was elected president so he’s prepared to ride the term out. But no one seems to want to hear that. My own opinion is that impeachment is a waste of time with a Republican controlled Senate, and that the time and energy would be better spent on ousting Trump in the 2020 election. I think Jonny has alluded to that also. Some folks here are so livid over the shit heel in the White House they can’t think rationally, they attack all who don’t believe EXACTLY as they do and for that very reason it’s looking more and more like Trump will win again (God damnit!!!). I mean Jeezus, call me anything you like but challenge my intelligence and I’d vote for Trump purely out of spite. Anger does that to a person. (Note to Hillary Clinton).

I just wanted to say that I get along just fine with Jonny and his point of view so please don’t lump me in with a phantom majority. Personally I’d call @jonnyboy a realist at best and a pragmatist at worst. And I think too many of his detractors believe in the Tooth Fairy. The impeachment makes for great drama but it’s an utter waste of time that would be better spent preparing to put together a winning team before the next election.

And now the oh so brilliant SC2 political pundits can trash me as a MAGA hat wearing, immigrant hating, Trump lover......all because I don’t automatically exclude or dump on folks who don’t believe exactly as I do.....you’re welcome.

20. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Good post, I also feel obligated to think of something to call you, but I'm having issues coming up with something mean to say, I've gotta work on my personal insult game.