Game Thread 2022-23 Game #12 BLAZERS @ PELICANS - NOVEMBER 10, 2022 - THURSDAY - 5:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Which spot? He has played PG, SF, C, and PF. The spot he has not played is SG. Isn't that the position GP2 is most likely to play?
    I don't think he will lose the backup PF spot. He is too valuable as a defender and extra ball handler.

The bottom line is this team might never be 100% healthy throughout the season so I am not too worried about adding one more defender to the mix in the backcourt.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

6-1 in games Dame played and 3-2 when he did not. Depends how you categories Miami game he got injured in. Team was already down double digits when he left and lost by quite a bit.

I'd probably use whatever stat better supports my argument lol.

Strenuus and PtldPlatypus like this.
  3. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

I just looked at his stats. Admittedly for the first time. He has started shooting the 3 well but he is still only 6-3 and they have him listed as PG/SG/SF so yeah he is pretty much an SG. I actually didn't realize he was pretty much 30 years old(Dec 1st). He's never really been someone who scores a bunch. Obviously he will be a situational defender at times. I cannot see him taking a bunch of minutes at PG or SG being the Blazers do at times lack scoring.
    Like Billups says "Defense Travels" so I'm sure there will be times GP2 will be needed.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  4. SharpesTriumph

Can slide other players to different spots, GP2 doesn't have to play Justice exact position if he subs in for him.

5. Pinwheel1

I understand that....... still Winlow might lose minutes (like many will) but he is not losing his spot. He does not start when everyone is healthy, so for him to lose his spot basically means he would not play. He is too valuable for that to happen.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  6. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

I wouldn't really mind if Winslow was out if the rotation. I'm not as high on him as many here

7. Pinwheel1

Just out of curiosity are you watching all the games or just the box scores? I ask that because your location says France.
    His play has not been pretty, but this team is winning because of how hard they all play. You don't think he has played a big part in our record so far? He has played every game doing a lot of the dirty work.

rotary111 and GoBlazersGo like this.
  8. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

That would be a bad idea at this point because he is the de facto backup PG of this team - and he is one of the better defenders on the team. Replacing Winslow is only possible if you get proper and better replacements than him for these roles. I am not saying there are no other players in the league that can do that, I think it will be hard to find ones that are as good as him and are as team friendly in their contract / ability and acceptance of their role.

Winslow is basically what Evan Turner was for the Blazers during that run to the WCF - at a fraction of the cost. That's a great player to have on the roster and give minutes to.

9. Pinwheel1

Agree but I would go a bit further and say I value him much higher than ET because he can do it from the PF spot which allows us to have 3 good shooters on the floor with him. (4 shooters if Grant is on the floor as a small-ball center at the end of games) Winslow is a strong man. We need him in the rotation for sure. But 38 minutes like the last game is too many.

rotary111 and GoBlazersGo like this.
  10. SIeepwalker

I've watched everygame. Winslow has had his moments and he's been a key contributor in some wins, but I don't think his contribution can't be matched by other players. We have a lot of dudes willing to do the dirty work and toughen up on defense on this squad. And the offense can get a bit rough at times with Justise in the game (I certainly don't like him shooting 3s)

Of course he hasn't been bad, he's been a positive. But we're a very deep team and if we're fully healthy and need to cut someone minutes he would be my first choice, just because I think other players are better.

Right now it probably doesn't matters since we'll likely keep resting players if they are just slightly injured, so there will be plenty of minutes to give to most of the roster

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  11. SIeepwalker

Oh, Justise is much better than ET ever was. Turner was not good

BBert likes this.
  12. Pinwheel1

Fair enough but there is a big difference between cutting his minutes and removing him from the rotation.
    His minutes do need to be cut, but he still needs to be in the rotation. Although I am sure if everyone is healthy Chauncey will give him a game off every so often. (Like he seems to be doing for everyone else)

13. andalusian

Who else on this roster can run the half-court offense and guard 1 to 5 while also playing good zone, switching defense?

Hart is the closest thing to that and he is much better at running the break than running the half-court offense.

I think you are underestimating what a versatile guy like Winslow does for this team. This team has 3 guys (maybe 4 with Keon) that can run the half-court offense. Dame, Ant and Winslow. That's pretty much it. There are multiple good switching defenders on this team - but I do not think there is anyone else on this team you can match against Sabonis in one game and also guard a quick point guard like Fox.

GoBlazersGo and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  14. SharpesTriumph

He's been a great player to fill in when there aren't great bench options or guys are out hurt. But he has not brought the value of Hart or Grant, nor do I believe he can help as much as Dame or Ant overall even if his defense is better. Sharpe has a much higher ceiling.

I think of him as more of a gatekeeper, great to have the option of him instead of trash like Hezonja or Tolliver. But ideally the team would get better production from those minutes if possible.

Again that's great for a 3rd player on the depth chart. I just don't know if we get to a playoff series against an elite team if you can play him on the floor with such terrible shooting. Opponent could scheme against him and it would turn into the Aminu Harkless situation.

It's a long season so I've been very happy with what he's done. But I think some fans are going overboard by inking him in as a more permanent part of a winning rotation.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  15. SharpesTriumph

The Blazers team on the floor needs to do all these things, but it doesn't have to be one player doing it. Dame and Simon's with Grant can run the offense. Grant Nurk Nas Hart GP2 can bring defense.

Again, I think Winslow has value in the regular season, but I'd probably say ideally we'd have a better shooter taking most of those minutes in a critical 8 man playoff rotation.

16. andalusian

Someone should tell the Golden States Warriors that they can't win playoffs series with a PF that shoots poorly but is used for his defensive acumen, toughness and ability to run point in small ball "death lineups". (and no, Winslow is not as good as Green is, but then, he is not paid like him either).

NBA teams have been able to be successful in the playoffs with 1 bad shooter on the floor, as long as he is able to provide defense and playmaking. I do not think the Blazers can run Winslow for 40 minutes a game in the playoffs and be successful, but 20 minutes for special cases - 100% sure of it.

I am going back to why ET was brought to Portland. Teams in the Playoffs need multiple playmakers in the half-court, and the Blazers with just 2 (CJ, Dame) were killed before, so they brought a 3rd one. You need 3 playmakers when the defense clamps down on your primary ball handlers. At this point, the Blazers have only 3 guys I would really trust running the offense in these situations and Winslow is one of them.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  17. SIeepwalker

Ok but do we need that if everybody is healthy ? The versatility is great to fill any role when we have injury. But if we're healthy we have players that can do those different things at elite levels, everybody have their role.

Also we have a lot of good ball handlers. Dame, Ant, Josh, Trendon, Grant is decent. not sure how good GPII is at it.

18. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

When in doubt, ask yourself one question. Would this team look nearly as good if Stotts was still coach?

A coach can only do so much to help a team win, but they can do a great deal to cause them to lose.

Tince likes this.
  19. andalusian

Good enough to run the half court offense? The best we have are dame followed by ant and Winslow, and maybe keon after that. That's it. I assume hart might be able to do it toa lower degree as well - but there is a reason Chauncey got Winslow to play PG with dame and ant out...

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

it must really rankle you to have predicted total mediocrity for this year's Blazers & insignificance this year for Sharpe, while at the same time predicting greatness for the Pelicans and Timberwolves...how those two teams have a giant talent advantage over Portland. And so far, Portland is 9-3 while those two teams are 11-14; and the one game Portland played against either, they played without Dame, Nurkic, & Sharpe, on the road, against a healthy Pels team, and won by double digits. All this coming after it's become pretty obvious that Sharpe could actually be a consistent contributor this year

perhaps, in a Blazer forum, you might consider spending a little less time giving props to other teams and other teams players, especially when it comes 'at the expense' of Blazers or the Blazer players

and yeah, I'm well aware you'll probably be able to gloat about Blazer losses later on in the year, it's a long season after all, but the point I'm making is fuck Zion

GoBlazersGo, AmirIcon and RR7 like this.