Game Thread 2022-23 Game #14 BLAZERS VS SPURS - NOVEMBER 15, 2022 - TUESDAY - 7:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Nov 12, 2022.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

just getting annoyed with the perpetual Nurk hate on this board. 90% of the people criticizing him don't understand what he brings to our defense when healthy.

HailBlazers, GoBlazersGo and RR7 like this.
  2. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

.. and motivated.

When healthy and motivated.

A lot of the "hate" is exactly because of these 2 items, and they are justified, which means it's not hate, it is observation.

A healthy, motivated Nurk is great. The problem is that we do not get to see as often as we should, and at least 1/2 of that is on Nurk.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  3. cdub503

cdub503 Well-Known Member

i chuckled a bit too hard at this, A. Because ive seen you work in person and B. ive done a less hectic version of that job and even then that was utter chaos....

THE HCP and Fairly-Hard like this.
  4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Hey man! What’s up? Hope you are good. Yeah seeing how a game is broadcast opens some eyes huh?

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  5. cdub503

cdub503 Well-Known Member

for sure opens the eyes of how insane that job can be for suuuure, especially when you look at the damn machine and wonder how the fuck you even did any of it in the first place. I even took the certification class and it was still really confusing. Doing well tho! been working for street league skateboarding for the past 8 or so years as a shooter/editor. I deliver shit to EVS ops all the time, they have saved my ass many of times when ive gotten late edits in. Hope you are doing well too! I always repost tristans angles of things whenever he posts them! love that theres legit a few generations of grant high graduates in there! and MHCC too!

THE HCP, HailBlazers and Fairly-Hard like this.
  6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I think it's a matter of expectations. People think he should be jokic/embiid caliber, but he's not that. He's a few tiers below that as an average starting C. Compare him to guys like Poeltl/Valanciunas/Capela/Wendell Carter jr/ Zubac/etc etc. All of the guys I mentioned are inconsistent with mostly average play and the sporadic instances of greatness. They all have issues with motivation at times. But Nurk's salary is commensurate to that production.

His finishing issues are at the forefront so that's all most people see, but he more than makes for that with his defense. He's averaging a nearly his career high in rebounds, and rebound %. He also protects the rim at a close to elite level even while not blocking shots. And his passing/shooting have improved quite a bit. I don't think people realize how much Chauncey asks of him on the defensive end of the floor for us. But you hardly ever see anyone acknowledge that; rather, they'd just ship him out because he misses layups.

He's got weaknesses obviously, but the way people trash him here is unwarranted. And I think trading him for a guy like Turner would be a very lateral move in terms of overall impact (hell I think Nurk is better for us than Turner would be).

HailBlazers, GoBlazersGo and RR7 like this.
  7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HailBlazers and GoBlazersGo like this.
  8. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that's a pretty blatant straw man argument and a crazy starting point for any type of reasonable discussion. I haven't seen a single person here say he should be at Jokic/Embiid level

that's a valid perspective on things. I don't agree with all of that, or maybe it's more that I don't co-sign on all of it. For instance, I think Capela is the only C you listed who makes more salary that Nurkic. Poeltl and Zubac make a little more than half of what Nurk makes; but Poeltl will be getting a new contract so maybe the gap won't exist any more

Nurk definitely has a big impact on defense. But of course, he's the only real paint/rim protector Portland has unless Eubanks becomes a lot more consistent. The point being that it could easily be that Nurk's big impact on defense could be mostly matched by a lot of other bigs. And I'm one who has always pointed at defensive rebounding as a critical component of defense. Nurk is currently 7th in that category

My two biggest criticisms against Nurk are his injury history and his crappy efficiency around the rim. He can't do much about his injuries, but he could have certainly improved his marks at the rim...and hasn't yet in this, his 9th season. And by the way, I'm not so reactionary that I can't see past those "finishing issues". I also think he can be knocked off his 'mental' game a little too easily. That's probably way too vague and subjective of a parameter though

I'll also say that you might want to separate the knee-jerk idiocy of game threads from some of the more measured criticisms of Nurkic.

10. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

It seems more than just mental. He doesn’t take the time around the rim to make sure he takes a good shot. It’s almost as though he gets in a hurry and flips up a lazy finger roll hoping it goes in. He’s usually the biggest guy on the court. Players can’t move him. He should be able to move to his spots and work for better quality shots. He just doesn’t do it enough.

11. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I certainly am not one of these people. My biggest issue with him (health is not really something he can control) is effort. I will always cheer for Nurk when he plays hard. I will also be miffed at him when he does not. He has been in the league long enough that he should know better. When he gets lazy and / or pout, it is hard to cheer for him.

rotary111 likes this.
  12. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Glad to hear you are good my man! #GoGrant

13. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Meh he did it again. He’s played out at this point. It’s been nearly 7 years with him. I’ve seen enough