Game Thread 2022-23 Game #2 - BLAZERS VS SUNS - OCTOBER 21, 2022 - FRIDAY - 7:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Oct 19, 2022.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I think there are a few issues at play here.

The last time the Blazers had a pick that was this talented, was Damian.

CJ didn't play much in his first 2 seasons, that's why Im not including him much.

But we're (as a fan base) so used to players coming in that are raw (Little, Simons), or show some signs of skill but way over think things and made the same mistakes year after year (Leonard), or where just there (Collins) or should have been a 2nd round pick at best (Swanigan), or were 2nd round picks (Layman, Connaughton, Crabbe).

We're not used to seeing a player drafted with a high level skill level or at least a high level athletic ability combined with effortless form.

So it makes sense that some of the forum are jumping the gun on him, but it doesn't make sense as to why people can't just realize that and not take what they say too seriously and react with a "told you so" type mentality.

Who am I kidding, the "told you so" mentality is what keeps this forum alive.

Eastoff, Quatro44, Hoopguru and 3 others like this.
  2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Bam!#factcheck.gramps!!!

riverman likes this.
  3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

my perspective is that perspective is loony-tunes....but I'm thinking you knew that in a green font kind of way

by the way, here's the advanced box score from last night's game. Pay special attention to the very last column which is Box Plus/Minus:

upload_2022-10-22_9-11-27.png

compare that to the wacky +/- stat, especially considering that the BPM marks really seem to reflect what happened in the game. I mean, why was Sharpe +7 in plus/minus but -23.9 in box plus/minus? It's also important to remember that when 4 players played over 40 minutes, another over 35, and a 6th player logged 24 minutes, any of these advanced metrics for players that logged well under 20 minutes are likely to be just noise

4. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    This right here. Very apt assessment.

Hoopguru likes this.
  5. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

I smell what Shae is cooking !

6. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Seems like this tells the story quite well. Lillard popping off, Ant with the bad game, Nurk was good, Little with a great stint off the bench. Hart being negative seems a bit weird.
    Shaedon missed a couple shot and wasn't too impactful, but I don't think he hurt the team to the point that over -20 is deserved. His defense is usually at least decent.

BBert likes this.
  7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Speaking of Chris Paul purposely tripping Dame on his last shot in regulation, knowing the ref would be focused on looking for contact up top on the release, I hate that dirty piece of shit.

Eastoff, Quatro44, RR7 and 3 others like this.
  8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Having high a draft pick that comes in very composed and slow to speak that seems to have real natural talent, is exciting for reason you mention above. I think this group of players too, will help bring Rim Shae-dy along, bet he shows in practice.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

thinking about that game last night there were some very real contrasts between the teams:

Phoenix is 'well-oiled' and running smoothly. They knew what they wanted to do on both ends of the floor and executed well. On the other hand, Portland was ragged on offense and had lots of brain-fart defense. Portland fell behind by 10 five minutes into the game and spent the next 32 minutes of the game trying to catch up. Phoenix kept having answers for every Blazer mini-comeback. But Portland kept at it and finally got back even in the 4th Q

* so how did Portland win? To start with, they do have talent other than Dame...Nurk-Grant-Ant-Hart-Winslow are all veteran players who do some things really well. At the same time, the Blazers were giving maximum effort and sometimes, that's enough. It certainly was last night.

* I think Hart sets the tone and is becoming a Blazer glue-guy. He's a poor man's junkyard-dog version of John Havlicek. He's been out-hustling everybody else on the floor. He's been doing a little bit of everything...being a one-man fast break; playing good defense; getting his hands on the ball and giving Portland extra possessions. I think Portland would be 0-2 right now without him

* even though Portland has had some major defensive brain-farts, they are engaged on that end of the floor. They are working hard at contesting as many shots as they can, and I think it's pretty certain they will get better and reduce those 'what-happened?' moments

obviously, it's way premature to take a 2-0 start and project anything substantial about the season. Portland will probably be better than many imagined, but it's obvious, at least it is to me, that the Blazers have almost no margin for error and could sink into an extended losing streak at any time if they get out of sync, and that's an entirely possible outcome for a team with so many unfamiliar faces led by a coach who got a 'hey, we're just tanking' pass for last season

10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I thought Winslow came in and played tough, he and Hart really get after it. It's going to be nice to see how The Mitt also get after it. Gloves have fingers, Mitts don't.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Dude, CHauncy threw him out there to help his confidence. He will not continue to be one of the first guys off the bench once he gets scouted. I can promise you that if GP was available he’d be playing first. Billups wants to win now. Just like the Jazz are doing great shit. They haven’t been properly scouted. It all works itself out.Give this kid a few years like we did ANT.

12. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Simons was no where like this in his 1st and 2nd games.

Also, if he's about winning, why would he give a crap about Shaedons confidence?

Eastoff and GoBlazersGo like this.
  13. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Chauncey said last night in his postgame interview that he plans on giving Sharpe minutes on a situational basis. Sometimes more, sometimes less. He said at times he wants to give him minutes in meaningful games against quality opponents.

I like it. A vast difference from Stotts who seemed to keep his rotations based off what players were earning $$$ and outside of Lillard (he really had no option at the time) rarely played rookies except in garbage time.

RR7 and Eastoff like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Stotts played Dame from day one and had Noah Vonleh start .....I don't think he was shy about playing bench players or rookies at all...he just didn't have great bench players to sub in. Stotts was not our big problem as much as a lot of folks think he was. It was the roster. If anything he overachieved given the pieces he had to juggle. His last season with the team he tried out 19 different starting lineups trying to find chemistry and it didn't happen.....it was the roster. What Stotts did was figure out how to win with a poor bench season after season. ....Total he coached 179 players here. That's a lot of shakeup.

THE HCP likes this.
  15. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Disagree with this. “Overachieving”, however true that may be, only gets you so far. Sure he overachieved in seasons like getting the 5th seed when we were expected to be in the lotto one year, but he also underachieved in seasons when given any expectations.

He’s pretty much Doc Rivers without the ring.

16. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

This is once again wrong. Terry played CJ in 38 of the 46 he was available for in his rookie year and CJ averaged 12.5 MPG that year.

When Terry had promising rookies that deserved playing time, they got it. It is just that since Dame and CJ, Portland's rookies were mostly not deserving of play time. (BTW, Meyers had played 69 games and averaged 17.5 MPG his rookie year, he regressed once the big man coach was removed, but he played as a rookie as well).

What rookies did you expect Terry to play? Swanigan? A very green Simons on a team that went to the WCF? Little who is always in and out of the lineup because he is injured? For the record, Little did play in 48 games as a rookie and averaged 12 MPG - so again, this is a myth that Terry did not play rookies. He played the ones that were deserving and available.

Chauncy told you exactly why he is playing "we lost a lot of games to get Sharpe". It is obvious he will play and just like Dame and CJ and Meyers played when they they deserved for Terry, Sharpe will play now and I assure you that if this team was still being coached by Terry, he would have played under him as well.

RR7, THE HCP and riverman like this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Fair enough but Terry got a ring with the Mavs and got a hobbled bench squad to the WCF and beat Denver in 4 OT games with Dame hobbled. That’s overachieving in my book I was always a fan of Terry and hope Chauncey keeps improving and has even more success.

THE HCP likes this.
  18. wizenheimer

[​IMG]

thanks for the memories? (which way do you mean?)

Hart is a hard-nosed defender:

[​IMG]

19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

It does not sound like many liked the uniforms last night.......but I did.

20. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

We need to resign Hart. He reminds me of Wes Mathews

AmirIcon, SlyPokerDog and GoBlazersGo like this.