Game Thread 2022-23 Game #38 - BLAZERS @ PACERS - JANUARY 6, 2023 - FRIDAY - 4:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Sloth

Sloth Lazy Bastard

Self-employed
    Really want us to start from scratch essentially? We are at .500 right now so that's pretty drastic imo. But hey to each their own.

HailBlazers likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Which is exactly why I think they'll make moves to improve their chances of doing that now and not wait to try to contend.

blazerkor and e_blazer like this.
  3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

A shooting slump isn't washed but you always overstate the negative so what you say when going negative has zero validity. I am not shocked that you have turned on Dame today and on Sunday when his shot is back you'll be saying how sorry you are for the bad team he has to play with.. but others in here doing this is pretty fucking weird.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  4. blazerkor

He's got better numbers than Fox with far more defensive attention. I expect him to have better numbers and wins than SGA by the end of the season. I think he'll be second team all NBA when this season is over but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  5. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    not only that but it gives guys a breather late in games.

Unless our guards are lights out from outside we aren’t going to win a game

KSF-ERIC and riverman like this.
  6. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

the most recent Dunc’d on podcast had both the hosts agreeing that Dame (at least through this point in the season) was their pick to be 2nd team all nba. Lots of statical arguments to back that up if you want to give it a listen.

Fairly-Hard and blazerkor like this.
  7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

To everyone who gives up on dame 3 times a week.

I laugh.

Imagine giving up on dame after a decade of him proving you wrong? It's just really, really sad how fairweather they are.

Luckily, I'm not. So I get to not waste energy. Enjoy!

Shaboid and riverman like this.
  8. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

4 starters are averaging 35 minutes a game and are worn out. This team needs to find someone who can provide some production off the bench so we don't have to run the starters into the ground. The bench gets killed ever game in production. Until they get some production off the bench, they are going to continue to falter.

HailBlazers and brooklynballer like this.
  9. blazerkor

I think Luka and Steph will get the first team if things stay very similar to where they are both statistically and wins and losses. I think the second team will be Dame and likely Ja or Mitchell. Regardless I think Dame will make it on the second or third team. That's still All NBA.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Dame will be fine.. He still hasn't played much over the last year so he'll be fine.

11. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

I was just gonna say.....they made my man River use the F word. This is serious shit.

Fairly-Hard, riverman and TBpup like this.
  12. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    The stats tell me one thing and my eyes are telling me something different.

I don't know if I'd say he's fallen off. I said this a couple of weeks ago that I don't think he looks right and I wouldn't be shocked if we eventually find out that he's hurt again and trying to play through it.

However, the bigger issue for me is his decision-making. Early in the year, he's trying to dribble through three guys and not trusting his teammates. More recently, it's just not putting even some passes I'd consider routine for him in bad places.

blazerfan11 and blazerkor like this.
  13. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

We were right in the game until the starting lineup was put back in in the fourth, then we shat the bed.

All the hustle and energy of the bench players evaporated.

14. blazerkor

He's been more active and less accurate with his passing than I've ever seen before. That needs to be better but I do think that's what he was talking about last game when he said that the team wasn't just young in age but young as a team together. He's trying to do different things than he's done before and acclimating to that.

HailBlazers likes this.
  15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Quite right. That is why I take a bit of issue with some comments after the game talking about the lack of production from the bench. That may be true in a vacuum, but in this case (and on many nights) it's not exactly the bench's fault. They are being efficient, just not getting (or taking) enough shots.

KSF-ERIC and DUB like this.
  16. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

And he’s no longer beating guys off the dribble when previously he would have blown by them.

Dame also seems to be complaining to the refs a lot more, to the point of turning his back on the ball, and giving up on a live play just to whine.

Maybe he’s injured/sick, maybe age has caught up with him, either way he needs to pull his finger out, and get his head in the game.

17. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Our opinions aren't going to align.

Agree with your last sentence, and not just for Dame but for the team in general I'm not thinking this team is anywhere close to as good as it will be. I think there are a lot of growing pains and we've generally been close. I expect the Blazers to be a lot better by the first week of February barring a big injury.

I couldn't disagree more with the accuracy of Dame's passes and his decision-making, though. It might be getting used to playing a new system with new teammates, but he doesn't look close to precise to me and he doesn't have a good feel for when to shoot or when to pass.

blazerkor likes this.
  18. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I just took a gander at Dame's stats. His turnovers per game is at an all-time high. He's made more turnovers in 25 games this year than 29 last year while playing hurt.

His turnovers per 36 minutes and per 100 possessions is the highest of his career, too.

I didn't really need to see the stats to tell me he was loose with the basketball this season, but I didn't realize it was that pronounced. That doesn't include the number of passes I've seen him pass lately that were too look or high or got tipped by defenders that weren't a turnover on him but resulted in a bad shot or turnover from a teammate.

19. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

SGA will make it. Fox is better defensively than Dame this year and is leading the Kings to playoffs right now.

20. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

Dame has never gotten us to championship. That is all I care about. He has proven nothing.