Game Thread 2022-23 Game #41 - BLAZERS VS CAVALIERS - JANUARY 12, 2023 - THURSDAY - 7:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Jan 10, 2023.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

what I was actually implying is that Nurk is part of that defense and sometimes, as the rim protector and guy in the paint, he's going to have to make up for other players missing assignments. And if he doesn't and there are 4 dunks with him less that 10' away, he's got some accountability. He's the last line of defense for the Blazers. That's not an easy job on any team

I was pretty clear right at the beginning of this back and forth that I blamed the coaching for the passive defense and rotational confusion. I wasn't singling out anybody but the coaching...before you decided to blame Dame

We have a fundamental disagreement about who was responsible for Mobley on that play. You might need to watch the video again...from the time that Mobley crosses out of the key (15 feet behind Dame's back) till when he dunks the ball, a grand total of 2 seconds runs off the game clock. Not only that, Mobley only moves about 5 feet outside of the paint. He's spends more time in the paint than the very quick circle outside of the paint and he never get within 15 feet of the sideline If he would have went to the sideline aroung the 3 point line, then yeah, Dame might have been responsible for the rotation, but that didn't happen

look at this screenshot:

upload_2023-1-14_21-55-27.png

that's about as far as Mobley got out of the paint after crossing. If you're trying to blame somebody for the Mobley dunk, it would be Grant 1st, Nurkic 2nd, and Dame 3rd; or maybe Dame 4th if you assume Ant should have rotated off Mitchell to stop Allen (which I don't). That you continue to maintain that Dame should have rotated to Mobley when Nurkic is 5 feet from Mobley doesn't make any sense to me

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023