Game Thread 2022-23 Game #49 - BLAZERS VS RAPTORS - JANUARY 28, 2023 - SATURDAY - 7:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

brandon miller would be perfect for us.

2. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    OG is one of the top 3 best defenders in the league and can guard 1-5. He would’ve been glued all over someone being a huge headache

TBpup likes this.
  3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

BBert, TBpup and MickZagger like this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

You would take a 28 year old who is only showing what he's showing with all of the talent around him that he has over a 23 year old being made to play out of position but still putting up better stats?!? Come on. FVV would be a disaster next to Dame that is worse than the disaster that Ant is when playing with Dame.

5. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

When a team occasionally comes out flat and not ready to play, that’s on the players.

When it continually happens and starts to become a pattern, that’s on the coaching.

When it continues to persist without any change at all, that’s on the players again because they’ve either tuned out the coach or simply not listening.

We are at stage 2 right now.

6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Aren't his knees doing a Brandon Roy?

7. MickZagger

UPS
    We sent out easily the best players in both deals and really got no draft capital or worthwhile prospects. That’s your opinion. But my opinion is that both trades were failures. Then we lost our cap flexibility by signing Payton

8. blazerkor

We're not close enough to being bad enough to get a bottom four record and then still it's like a 1 in 6 shot. Wanting to tank for Wemby when you have Dame on the team should make you re-evaluate how you critically think. Good luck.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  9. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

At one point fans from B.C. used to have two teams they could easily see live. As you guys know it's not just fans from Washington State who lost the Sonics, plus getting to see whatever visiting team they liked.

riverman likes this.
  10. MickZagger

UPS
    The gaining of an asset like a lottery pick when we’re going to be butt shitty regardless means more.

I want Joe to make a splashy difference making trade badly. I’m just not holding my breathe.

riverman likes this.
  11. blazerkor

Nurk would have been the only legit C to play on the floor tonight and although the system that Chauncey runs doesn't play to his strengths that would have been a bigger difference maker tonight. Josh Hart would have been one more player in between us and playing Trendon Watford starters minutes. I don't give a fuck because being able to beat the Raptors doesn't mean shit but we were at the bigger disadvantage tonight because when healthy they are deeper than us and when we are playing without two starters it's a fucking joke.

12. MickZagger

UPS
    I’ve read that on here a few times. Not sure if it’s a real thing though

13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Don’t need bottom 4 record. Just the worse record we can get. With Wemby, Dame would have a better shot at the title. You gotta be in it to win it. Dame needs to sit. We played 50ish games and we’re not good enough to make the play-in so if we’re gonna be bad, let’s get worse. Guys, Wemby is this good.

14. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

Yep, it sure wouldn’t hurt to try. The problem is Portland can never acquire star players. We’re like the dog under the table waiting for the scraps to fall. And you can’t win a championship, or even compete for one, when you’re playing with scraps.

15. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It just doesn’t matter that Hart and Nurk were out. Gotta win anyway.

16. blazerkor

First of all even with tonight's loss we are still only 3.5 games out of HCA. Secondly, don't hold your breath. I don't have a large enough sample size from Cronin to know what he'll do... but he sure did something last year around this time. What we would get in the lotto would not help our quest to win a championship with Dame as much as good trades would. I understand being discouraged at this point but if we are trying to win one with Dame, we should try to do it right now and every day for the next few years. If not, trade Mr. Blazer in the off season.

17. MickZagger

UPS
    Scoot Henderson is too. Insanely good young guard

KingSpeed likes this.
  18. blazerkor

We are a team that isn't good enough with Hart and Nurk, to say that we "Gotta win anyway" without them is all well and good, we did have our moments but moves have to be made for this team to win consistently when all of our rotational players are playing. Obviously when two of our starters are out it's going to be harder. So I wish we would have sustained one of those runs and won tonight but realistically our team is only slightly better than what Toronto is running out there regardless of health and tonight we were both less healthy and less effective.

KingSpeed likes this.
  19. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I don't know if people are blind but we are not putting Ant and Dame on forwards on purpose. The problem is our stupid scheme that switches every pick and roll involving a guard for whatever god forsaken reason. Probably because Chauncey doesn't trust Ant/Dame to reasonably fight through a screen (ok valid), or doesn't trust our backline rotations to help if someone gets a lane to the basket. Once Toronto got a mismatch it was over because we either help and they get a easy dunk, or if they miss, everyone is out of position and our 6'5 and under crew is fighting for rebounds against Toronto's all 6'8 + lineup. Chauncey even has Gary switching all cross screens, which is like....isn't that why we got him in the first place? To be able to guard pick and rolls?

But even still, I don't know how many more years Portland has to prove to itself that the double undersized starting backcourt is a good idea. This is just madness.

BBert and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  20. MickZagger

UPS
    I don’t care how close we are to a good seed. I’ve seen enough of this team to realize we aren’t going anywhere and the best case scenario is getting bounced by a better constructed team in a play-in game.

I’m not trying to be a turd to you. I just think this is an awfully constructed roster, torn between win now and build for the future and not enough assets to lure any kind of meaningful trade.