Game Thread 2022-23 Game #69 - BLAZERS VS KNICKS - MARCH 14, 2023 - TUESDAY - 7:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Got it. Sorry.

I'm basing my opinion on whether Billups was dumb in only playing him seven minutes based on tonight, yes.

And that's part of my general dissatisfaction with how little he's playing as we continue to lose, the team traded guys ahead of him in the rotation, and the guys ahead of him have a track record of not doing much of anything in their NBA careers.

When was the last time we had a 19 year-old rookie that we drafted so high? That was playing on a bad team? That was shooting over 47% from the field? Zach Collins shot 39.8% from the field, was a bit older, and played 15.8 mpg on a 49-win team, but that was the closest I could find at least in recent years.

But why should we compare Sharpe to previous rookies? The team is playing Reddish and Thybulle 50% more minutes, for some reason. If it was about wins, then I'd buy it. It's not resulting in wins, so that's bad coaching and bad player development both.

You need to put "upgrade" in quotes, as trading our only big man, our second-leading scorer, and draft picks is basically everyone on our team worth anything other than Dame and Sharpe. Cronin might be dumb enough to try that, as he's made other stupid moves, but I'm hopeful that he's smarter than that.

2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear Billups say something along the lines that there was nobody on the bench he could go to that is ready to play.

3. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

I personally think they know what they have in Sharpe and are really wanting to see what Cam and Matisse can do in different situations. Deciding if they are part of the future or not. My guess is they have already told Sharpe what they want him to work on this offseason to grow his game. Going from 20 to 25 minutes a night is not going to make that much of a difference in Sharpe's development, but seeing the other two in live game action helps them evaluate whether they are worthy of a new contract with the Blazers.

I am expecting the team to turn over a huge portion of the roster this offseason. Would not shock me if any and all Blazers not name Dame are available for trades for the right person. Who that or they are who knows. 5 years from now could be a mistake, but I think this is the offseason they are going to try to go all in. My guess if they are not successful next year Joe and Chauncey won't get another chance, so they are going all in.

4. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

That is one of the biggest issues with this team. The bench is so young and unproven, but that seems to have been the Blazers bench MO for years.

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there is anybody in charge of the season right now. Portland doesn't know what to do, but what they end up doing just doesn't look smart

minutes tonight:

Watford 40
    Lillard 39
    Thybulle 38
    Simons 34

Reddish 19
    Little 10
    Sharpe 7
    Walker 2

really?

they were down 18 with 9 minutes left and it was obvious to just about everybody they weren't going to get back in the game. Everybody but Billups apparently

13 games left and Portland is 13th seed, 3 games out of the 10th seed in play-in; but they are essentially 4 games back because 4 of the 5 teams they could theoretically catch own the tie-breakers over Portland. Time to pack it it Blazers

6. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I see the picks purely as trade chips.

7. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Billups is asinine for playing Dame into the ground while Sharpe sits. He is just not that bright. If they plan on trading Shae he should be playing; if they plan on keeping him he should be playing. To say there is nobody on the bench ready to play is HIS fucking fault! Billups was a nice experiment but he should be let go post haste.

Bingo Bango and illmatic99 like this.
  8. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

People working in Blazers social media are cannibalizing each other. This was a really bad loss.

9. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

haha what happened

Whyachi likes this.
  10. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    He's pretty much right. Sharpe and Little have looked bad lately on both ends of the court. johnson and Knox are terrible. I guess he doesn't see enough from Walker in practice or his limited time to trust him; he seems kind of a tweener. Reddish, Watford and Eubanks are all pretty iffy. Now that I think about it, Simons is pretty iffy also and Grant has not been consistently good. Other than the first five minutes, I thought Nurk looked good last night. Then there is Lillard.

11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

What happened

12. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Terrible excuse on his part. He is the coach. He has to juice lemons and make what he has works. It's his failure if he can't do that. Instead of building a system around his players, he is trying to force something that's not working.

riverman likes this.
  13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Why is that mind blowing? Those are quality NBA players, not G-League talent level players.

14. THE HCP

That’s not “Blazers social media” Those are people who cover the team and have no affiliation with the team whatsoever, no difference than this Town of Clowns.

15. THE HCP

You honestly believe a coach has this much power? To make BAD players GOOD? Untalented teams usually lose to talented teams. I’ll look for the link, standby…..

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

A good coach can get the most out of his players. I'm not delusional...I'm not saying he could win a championship or even close with this team, but he could get this team to the playoffs. His terrible coaching ruined any chance of that though.

Whyachi likes this.
  17. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Dwight Jaynes & Fentress were trading low blows on Twitter, then Danny Marang sent out some sort of weird "I am a basketball God, ya'll should be bowing before my power." tweet.

When the hot air balloon pops,
    it deflates rapidly and drops

AldoTrapani likes this.
  18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

it was a pretty hilarious exchange:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

two clowns telling each other they were the biggest clown

BBert, Quatro44, Natebishop3 and 2 others like this.
  19. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Dwight Jaynes needs to retire. He's terrible.

riverman likes this.
  20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

hahahahahahaha

Dwight is a good dude. I have had multiple interactions with the guy. The first being that he used to put his AOL name at the end of his articles and I being a snot nosed teenager decided to talk shit to him. He actually took my trolling and had a conversation with me.

He was always cool when I covered the team (even though he was kind of irrelevant at that moment)

And he also helped guide me a bit when I was first getting into writing.

I have nothing bad to say about Dwight. I don't know Fentress though.

BBert and Whyachi like this.