Game Thread 2022-23 Game #8 BLAZERS @ SUNS - NOVEMBER 4, 2022 - FRIDAY - 7:00 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Nov 2, 2022.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

doesn't matter

moving Nance was necessary in that trade because without his salary included in the outgoing, the Blazers could not have created the TPE required to take Grant. So, again, what the trade essentially did was trade CJ + Nance for Hart + Grant + 2026 second round pick swap + 2027 second, at the same time it was very likely essential (along with the LAC trade) for putting Portland in a position to draft Sharpe instead of somebody like Jeremy Sochan or Johnny Davis. And the reality is sometimes you have to trade decent players to get back decent players who might fit much better

for chrissakes....I know that myself and many others here pushed back against the incessant wailing and doom & gloom consistently coming from the same others since the trade deadline up until the end of preseason 3 weeks ago. Pointing out why those trades weren't as bad as the critics were claiming; explaining that it was a false narrative to try and isolate each move in a vacuum instead of looking at the trade deadline and off-season as a single process with many moving parts.

How it was necessary to actually see how the 'new' team performed and how the parts fit together while also realizing that the process is very likely incomplete

we've gained just a little perspective on the team now; seen how it has performed and how the parts fit together. Speaking for myself, this team is much more entertaining that any of the teams Olshey built over a decade and it only took Cronin 9 months . Yet, just before the season started, I saw 3 or 4 posters here essentially say they'd rather have the 'upside' of CJ-Powell-Nance than Grant-Hart-Sharpe-Winslow-Keon, and presumably Olshey instead of Cronin (which would have been the only way to keep last years's team together). Strangely enough, some of those posters are pretty quiet right now.

I give blazerkor credit. He has stepped away from a hard-line negative view of the trade deadline and Cronin's moves then, and is allowing for the possibility that just maybe, Cronin might have a plan worth credit. The returns are way early, obviously, but I'm having a hard time watching how this team is performing right now and reconciling it with anybody having nostalgia for CJ-Nance-Powell

2. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Both guys really gave a lot of credit to their coach.

3. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    That would be hilarious if they had actually made that agreement beforehand. But i don't think the price would ever have been that high for Grant. But then, would only a 50% chance of getting it been about the right price?

4. Jelloman

Jelloman Well-Known Member

Cronin got the front row seats to Neal's shit show seeing what doesn't work for 9 years, I am sure that helped him know what he needs to do or what players he need to put around Dame. That's so.e great blueprint of what not to do.

Neal should have learn from his own mistakes and pivot with players and coach. But its much easier to learn from someone else's mistake than your own. Cronin did a good job with the team with the assist from Neal's mistakes from the last 9 years.

5. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    Well, now you're talking an Olshy trade and yes that was a bad trade Trent for Powell.

Idog1976 likes this.
  6. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

L2M says Grant travelled. Gather + 3 steps.
    Funny that this happened to the Suns after their L2M saying Booker travelled on his game winner.

Fwiw, The Lakers game L2M said that Lebron travelled on his game tying shot right before Grant's winning drive, so NBA refs have been terrible at calling travelling down the stretch to begin the season...

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

also said Bridges did NOT travel on the play before

8. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Clock appeared to start late but not sure by how much. The ball is out of his hands with a bit over 0.2 so there is some leeway on the late start.

I don’t think he travelled though. He was gaining control with only his right hand for most of the backing-up steps and once he had both hands on the ball he didn’t take more than two steps.

My understanding is that going from that one hand to two hands is all “gather” and when it’s in two hands the step counting begins.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  9. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

Who is on Dame's shirt?

10. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Dame also supposedly wanted Meyers Leonard and thought he’d be good.

lamlor likes this.
  11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I was wondering the same thing. Alisha Keys maybe?

12. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.

Yeah but that’s silly “would you rather have Trent”. That was an Olshey move and if we are playing time machine might as well take Giannis over CJ which I wanted at the time (see BE for proof). That’s nothing to do with Cronin’s trade and is a sunk cost fallacy. The Trent ship had sailed we need to look at salary, talent and chemistry to figure out if Cronin’s trade was a good one. To me, the CJ one is unequivocally good. At this point seeing ye way Winslow is playing and how Keon is coming along, the salary implications of that trade (GPII was obtained with that salary m) and chemistry I think even the LAC trade seems shockingly good. It seemed outright fleecing at the time by LAC but I’m coming around on it being a low-key genius move by Cronin.

13. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    He’s not perfect but Sharpe, Ant, Grant, and Billups all fantastic moves. Compare to most of GM LeBron’s moves.

14. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Another subject declared off-limits. Is there a list somewhere?

15. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I’m not hating. Just gotta keep it real, FAMS!

16. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

He's always been a good player but just can never stay healthy unfortunately.

17. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

18. DDolla

DDolla Well-Known Member

19. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

So you're saying any boob could do what Cronin is doing.
    I remember these ones. Two incorrect non-calls and one incorrect call.

upload_2022-11-5_14-12-39.png

Attached Files:

20. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

That's a great question. Trent would seemingly do well in this system. I'd lean Trent is a better asset overal, but not near a versatile as Winslow. Given that Winslow is giving us minutes at the 5 at times, I'd give the slight lean to him. Trent over Keon though.

I want to be clear, I don't think RoCo/Powell/Trent are garbage.

oldmangrouch likes this.