Game Thread 2022-23 Game #82 - BLAZERS VS WARRIORS - APRIL 9, 2023 - SUNDAY - 12:30 PM (PDT) ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Apr 3, 2023.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm just happy Payton didn't score in double digits

Whyachi and Ed O like this.
  2. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Happy this is finally over.

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    … and that’s a wrap. Time to roll up our sleeves and start dissecting this offseason.

As long as the young guys had fun it was a good year in my book

;)

4. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's a sunk cost. It doesn't matter if we got him for free or we gave six first rounders... if he's not worth his contract for the team we have, we should not re-sign him.

Paying him $30m+ to be a perimeter shooter who doesn't rebound at all and doesn't defend very well for a mediocre team would be a stupid move. Of course, I didn't think adding him in the first place was very wise in spite of the rather low cost... and Cronin thought this team would be decent-to-good this year, so clearly he and I don't agree on how to build a winning team.

5. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

It was a horrible year, let's get real. Lots will depend on lottery and then the trade season. But this season was simply awful, only point of interest for me was watching Sharpe develop.

6. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

He scores at every level and is a very versatile defender. He doesn't rebound well for his position... that doesn't make him bad. We need to be a better rebounding team but we can do that with Jerami playing major minutes. I think if he signs a contract that starts at 30M and is for five years, that contract will be team friendly when the new TV deal kicks in.

7. blazerkor

... and Dame light it up on offense when he was playing.

8. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

If everyone could now just burn their pdx carpet jerseys, that'd be great, thanks.

PCmor7 and blazerkor like this.
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

10. blazerkor

I really think with this comment, the earlier comment about not being here for a rebuild and not being cool with watching other teams make big moves while we didn't... then thinking about the song he just put out where he basically said he is never leaving Portland. For me this all adds up to putting Cronin on notice that if he doesn't get big things done that Dame will probably ask Jody to find a new GM.

11. Ed O

He's just not that good. He's fine, but he's not that good. And I don't think he's a very good defender... he's versatile in that he's not big enough to guard a lot of 4s and not quick enough to guard a lot of wings, but he's not good and hasn't been for several years.

Signing him to an extension of that size in order to (hopefully) get back to mediocre is just a dumb idea. He's 29 and demonstrated this year that he's not a big difference maker, so why bother unless he's cheap?

BBert, brooklynballer and Natebishop3 like this.
  12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Yeah but they weren’t 19 so it doesn’t count!

Fairly-Hard and Tince like this.
  13. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I disagree on him not being a good defender. He’s actually been a very good defender as a weak side shot blocker and when he defends other forwards. The problem was he was being relied on to guard opposing PGs. That’s more of a Chauncey problem than a Grant problem.

.475/.401/.813 is also a very good shooting split. That’s after cooling down from his hot start.

I can name more than just a couple of guys who make more than $30m/yr that Jerami has been better than. MPJ. Tobias Harris. Jamal Murray. You could argue he’s a better player than Wiggins. CJ. I’d argue he’s better than Zach Lavine this year. He was better than Middleton this year.

$30m/yr isn’t that crazy.

14. blazerkor

I feel like we were watching two different guys. He was consistently one of the only guys playing defense and doing a good job of it. He scored at all three levels and did so very efficiently (just look at his numbers). He was playing on a roster that just wasn't constructed well at all but he is the kind of guy we need around Dame. I think if we can get an all star forward who does rebound and a role playing athletic center who rebounds and rim protects then Jerami will be a great fit and worth the money.

Like I said though, we obviously see this very differently.

HailBlazers and BankTeller like this.
  15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

You needed to qualify that!

Best 19 year old Blazer rookie you've seen this season!

16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

But I did say that…..

Fairly-Hard and Tince like this.
  17. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    A sucky end to a sucky season.

blazerkor likes this.
  18. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  19. Ed O

You all keep redefining what I'm saying.

I didn't say he was bad. I said he's not worth it for the Blazers.

I didn't say it was crazy. I said it would be dumb.

I don't know if you're doing it on purpose or not, but it's pretty irritating.

The fact that playoff teams are paying arguably inferior players (and I'm not going to get into whether I think those guys are better than him or not at the moment) as much as our shabby team would be paying for Grant isn't an argument that it wouldn't be dumb for Portland to pay him that much. They have good enough teams to not only make the playoffs but, in most cases listed above, threaten to win a title this year. Portland wasn't that this year and won't be next year... and I would argue won't be during a contract that includes Grant being paid $30m+ a year. Paying Grant that much and giving him minutes would probably result in a few additional wins (like it did this year) but nothing substantial enough to justify doing it (like it did this year).

20. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I’m not trying to do anything on purpose. My fault if you feel that way.

The jist of what I’m saying is it wouldn’t be a dumb move. It’s a small market team and Dame wants to compete. Therefore, trading for him for that cheap and re-signing him for as efficient as he’s been this year for a contract starting at $30m/yr is not a dumb move.

If Dame wasn’t on the team or wanted to be moved this summer, of course you don’t give him that kind of contract and let him walk.

If you’re getting infuriated reading a comment, take some time off. It’s just sports bro lol.