Exclusive 2022-23 Portland Trail Blazers Roster

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by 42N8Bounce, Jun 23, 2022.

1. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Yeah, I'd rather win fast

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Impatient. Sometimes people want it to last.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  3. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I’m not totally sure where you’re stance is. Are you saying he needs minutes in NBA action this year? Or basketball minutes overall, like GL?

It really sucks that we don’t have a GL team, but with Sharpe, I don’t really think it matters all that much whether a GL team is running our system.

Sharpe should be learning the ins and outs of our defense while he’s with the team, and then work on his offense while he’s away with a GL team. Even in the GL, he’s playing against a lot of real NBA guys and will get a chance to work on the offensive side of the ball.

Let’s be honest, I’m pretty sure most people are going to expect the worst with Nurkic going down. Very likely Winslow and maybe even Hart go out in trade. I think it only helps to have Sharpe having already played 30mpg in the GL for hopefully a good stretch of games to come up and play back up SF.

4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

You could tell CJ was going to be cold. He was destroying Wes in practice daily. GT caught me by surprise. Was hearing he was even more intense in practice than in games though. And Ant you saw that he had it, but it was going to take awhile. Reminding me of Travis Outlaw at first.

5. BankTeller

I must say Watford needs to really work on his handle outside of just working on his 3. A lot of random slips and such happening in SL.

Despite not having Draymond’s intensity, Watford can make the same kind of impact on the court as Draymond with his leadership.

Right now, he’s really good at scoring around the basket. He also makes pretty good reads and can pass the ball well. If we really want him to play small ball 5, he really needs to work on his handle. I’d say it’s even more important than making sure his 3 comes along.

Against bench lineups of lesser teams, I’m interested to see how this kind of lineup would fare:

Dame/Payton/Hart/Walker/Watford

Between Dame, Hart, and Walker, there is enough to balance out Payton and Walker. If Watford is able to just rebound and go, this becomes even less of a problem. Payton, Hart, and Walker’s hustle may or may not make up for the lack of size in the lineup, that remains to be seen.

6. BankTeller

One thing that does strike optimism for me with this roster is that this team on paper is not as good as this team in reality.

This team for some reason reminds me of the 2013-14 team. That year, I remember the old Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose ESPN show predicting us to be 9th in the West (MIN was 8th). I had us being somewhere around 4-5.

The injury risks are much greater with this team, but I for some reason have a gut feeling we could be around 5-6 if Nurk and Dame stay healthy.

Eastoff, 42N8Bounce and HailBlazers like this.
  7. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Nobody on this team comes close to Aldridge. Not counting Dame of course, but he was on the 13-14 team. I don't think we have a chance at being as good as the 13-14 team. We don't have a SF as good as Batum either. Nurk is better than Rolo.

That was the last time this team felt like a contender. This team doesn't feel like that. At all.

8. PtldPlatypus

Agreed, no similarities at all. That team had:
    • a multi-time all-star,
    • a young scoring guard poised to make a big leap,
    • a new addition in the frontcourt intended to supplement the afore-mentioned veteran all-star,
    • an underachieving Euro with above-average playmaker ability,
    • a 6'5" defensive dawg with underrated scoring chops
    • a lotto-pick SG who got injured in preseason
    This team is nothing like that one.

9. SlyPokerCat

Come on now. You can't honestly think this team has a chance of being as good as that team, do you? You're a reasonable person.

Wesley Matthews in his prime was a substantially better fit next to Dame than Simons will be too. That team had pieces that fit together better than our starting lineup will.

10. PtldPlatypus

Nobody thought that team would win 54 games.

No, Ant is not as good a backcourt-mate for Dame as Wes was. But I think this bench is significantly deeper than that year's was.

I don't think this team is a contender, but I'm starting to edge toward optimism. Come, join us in looking on the bright side.

lawai'a, blazerfan11, PCmor7 and 4 others like this.
  11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

[​IMG]

SlyPokerCat and PtldPlatypus like this.
  12. SlyPokerCat

I'll be there if we decide on a timeline whether that be to move Dame and start over or move our young chips for another star for Dame to play with.

The West is just stacked with more talent than we have. Simons is gonna have to really pop and end up being a great fit next to Dame. I could see the first part happening, not the second.

13. BankTeller

I was more talking about the vibe of the team and perception of the team in regards to everyone else not Blazers fans. But if you’re going to bring it up, why are we acting like:

- Dame isn’t a multi time all star?
    - Ant isn’t a young scoring guard poised to make the next leap?
    - a 6'5" defensive dawg with underrated scoring chops?
    -Sharpe isn’t a lotto-pick SG who got injured?

Not sure why you’re adding “underachieving” next to Batum if you’re trying to make the point that the 2013-14 team is better lol.

14. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think Platy was making the argument that the teams ARE similar in those regards… perhaps in a facetious way

15. BankTeller

With a team of Ant + Sharpe + Little + Watford + Walker, I wonder what front court players you could get with that core in addition to the 5 picks.

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  16. SlyPokerCat

I'd love to see another star next to Dame in the next year or two. Hope we try.

17. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

We did try. We drafted Shaedon Sharpe.

GoBlazersGo, 42N8Bounce and blazerkor like this.
  18. SlyPokerCat

If Sharpe is ready to play at a star level in the next two seasons i'm excited. We'll see if that happens or not.

19. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

I know tone/irony can be hard to parse over messages but come on now.

20. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

This question has a bunch of questions around it that should be addressed first. My first response would be I hope the Blazers are healthy enough that it's tough for him to break into the rotation.
    If there are a few injuries he could very likely see some time. If that happens, I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity.

42N8Bounce likes this.