Game Thread 2022 NBA SUMMER LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP - BLAZERS VS KNICKS - JULY 17, 2022 - 12:00 PM (PDT) ESPN

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Jul 15, 2022.

1. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

Good eye. Yeah, growing up with my dad having season tix, I've accumulated a few autographs over the years. I think there's about 35 on this wall in my den.
    Some that you can see in that picture above: Darnell Valentine, Jim Paxson, Damian Lillard, Tom Owens, Terry Porter, Zach Collins, Gary Trent Sr, Dave Twardzik, Patty Mills, Larry Steele, Lionel Hollins, Chris Dudley, Brian Grant, Jerome Kersey, Bill Walton, Lloyd Neal, Wes Matthews, Robin Lopez, Ed Davis.

One of my favorites was Brian Grant. Met him at the Fred Meyer Open. His Parkinson's was quite advanced, so he was shaking quite a bit - but when he swung the golf club he was very smooth. In between holes my son went up to him along with a bunch of other kids. He was very gracious, and even poked a bit of fun at himself about how hard it was for him to autographs some of the small cards. The kids really enjoyed his positive personality.

One of my most negative experiences was Zach Collins. My son and I saw him at the arena one time and my son ran up to him to get an autograph, and he brushed him aside and said he wasn't required to give out autographs at the event, and kept moving. We later saw him at summer league and got his autograph 'when he was required to'. Barely looked us in the eyes.

Just a few years ago while we were at summer league, I saw Jim Paxson walk up to our bench. I told my son 'That old guy is an ex-Blazer all-star from the 80s - Jim Paxson.' I saw my son go down to Jim and ask for an autograph. I couldn't hear from my distance, but I saw Jim brush him off and point at the summer league players. They then talked a bit more, and Jim gave my son his autograph. I later asked what Jim said, and he told my son that he wasn't a player, that they are the ones he should get the autographs. My son then replied, 'But you're Jim Paxson. 1983-84 Blazer all-star.' Jim then stood up straight and said 'Why yes I am.' quite happy that my son actually knew who he was. He then gave my son his autograph.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

That's super cool.

42N8Bounce likes this.