Exclusive 2022 Portland Trail Blazers Training Camp

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by HailBlazers, Aug 2, 2022.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter

CM!? What is their height in American!!

THE HCP and Propagandist like this.
  2. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

THE HCP likes this.
  3. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
  4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Better start ordering the rings then son.

5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Camp clips look damn good huh.

6. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

They did LAST season as well my guy.

Bingo Bango and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
  8. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily agreeing with The HCP and I know most people think that highlights of guys scoring are what get fans excited but what it looks like to me is that we're really good at scoring the ball and not so good at keeping guys from scoring which we might have seen a lot from our team for a while now. That being said, these are just some highlights and the only thing you can take away from them is that these guys are moving a lot more in Chauncey's offensive system than they did with Terry. I've also been impressed with the way Jerami Grant looks as a pretty dynamic scorer albeit against a second team that doesn't have much rim protection.

Oh and we can stop talking about LAST season as a real thing cant we Mr. THE HCP? Last season Dame was a shell of himself, last season we tried to lose for more than a third of the season, last season guys knew they were getting traded and last season just isn't indicative of anything regarding this season... including everyone that wants to make some big fucking deal about a good four game run with randos playing. It was just FOUR fucking games with a rotation that no one had ever seen play together before, it's as meaningless as the losses we took when we were trying to lose or Dame's quality of play when he could hardly move.

9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

did you know in the 2019-20 season Portland was 8-3 when Zach played?

read that somewhere

Fairly-Hard, RickyJoe and blazerkor like this.
  10. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Thought true sarcasm didn't need green font.

RickyJoe and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Todays nab game is all about offense, the defenders can't touch a guy like Grant or Sharpe when they want to drive to the hoop. Sharpe will probably be at time's our best driver/slasher and even as a rook he will drawl fouls.
    We got a taste with Powell going to the hoop but he's not nearly as athletic as Sharpe or Grant.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  12. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company

My problem with Powel was he was a black hole only passing when he had no shot. We already had to many of those guys and needed a defender spot up shooter. Not to beat a dead horse

13. Haakzilla

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
  14. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Zach was a huge loss as well as Nurk breaking his wrist and CJ messing up his foot.

HailBlazers likes this.
  15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

are they just artificially hyping us all up with these shaedon clips or is he really showing out in these scrimmages?

Haakzilla likes this.
  16. Haakzilla

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...boosting trade value?! :dunno:

Fairly-Hard and illmatic99 like this.
  17. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    He’s put on 20lbs of muscle since the beginning of training camp

18. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Don't know if this is posted anywhere, Zach Lowe:
    There are reasons to look at this team and say OK, that’s the outline of kind of a good team. Their starting five is going to be Dame, Anfernee Simons, question mark, Jerami Grant, Jusuf Nurkic. The question mark could be Nassir Little, could be Justise Winslow, could be Josh Hart who I really like.

It’s a good solid starting five. Their bench will be Simons effectively as backup point guard, Gary Payton II. And I would do the thing where I sub Gary Payton II in quickly to play with the starters if I’m going to use Simons as my back up point guard because the more shooting and talent around him, the better he looks. Two of the Nassir Little, Josh Hart, Justise Winslow wing trio that I mentioned before and then some question marks at the big man spot. It’s an interesting team on paper.

They’re just so blah to me, I look at that lineup that I just mentioned. It’s fine, like it’s just fine. I think Jerami Grant has become a little overrated. I love all the wings I mentioned as the fifths starters. Nurkic is just OK as a starting NBA center. He’s fine.

AD
    Dame and Simons, it’s like can we defend with two small guards for the 10th consecutive year in Portland? And if Nurkic isn’t a borderline elite backline defender anymore and I don’t think he is, I think he’s lost a quarter of his step or so, defensively.

Dame, Simons, Nurkic, I just don’t know how you build a good enough defense around that trio. Which is why I would bring Payton II in early in games for Simons. And the bench is like just OK. I mean who is their back up center, Drew Eubanks, Trendon Watford. Trendon Watford has one of the great floaters in the NBA, that’s cool, he’s undersized as a center. He’s not great. It’s just so blah.

When the Blazers have been good in the last 10 years, it’s mostly been because their offense is incredible. So their offense ranked 27th last year, throw it out the window, it’s a lost season, they were tanking so furiously I almost admired it in the last 20 games of the season.

In the previous few years they were second, third and third in points per possession and that lifted up a defense that in some years was awful, in some years was average and in some years was somewhere in between.

I just don’t look at that team, as brilliant as Dame is, and those numbers are a tribute to Dame because those supporting casts were not choc full of elite offensive players outside of CJ McCollum.

I just don’t see an unbelievable offense out of that personnel and I certainly don’t see a good defense. I don’t see great depth in the ability to withstand an injury to one of the best players.

I just see a blah, it’s just blah. Like I see a 500 team.

And they’re confusing I guess, because there’s enough there to intrigue you and talk yourself into, “well they could be sixth in the west, they could win 45, 46 games.” Their over-under is around 40, it’s 39.5.

And there’s also so many questions that I could see the season really slipping away from them. I think they just look kind of 500 to me and last year they tried this crazy blitzing defense with Nurkic even though that’s not how they’re built to play. They played a lot of zone and they just found absolutely nothing that worked and schematically I don’t know what Chauncey Billups’ answer is going to be this year. But it’s not how they played last year, even at full health, they can’t blitz and trap, they just gave up tons of threes and tons of shots at the rim.

I just feel kind a blah man, I feel bad because I love Dame and I like Portland, they have some of the best fans in the NBA. I just don’t know where they’re going.”

And yet I sit here and I’m like I really like what Nassir Little showed last year before his injury and he’s healthy and I think he’s going to start going full blast in camp and playing well. I think GP II is a really good fit on this team, although it’s hard for them to do the thing that the Warriors did, which is build lineups where he’s the only non shooter on the floor so he has free reign to roll to the rim. I would like to see them try Justise Winslow at center and just sort of see how that looks not that he’s a shooter, he’s also a non-shooter. Given their other options at backup center, they should at least try that.

And I think they’re going to find minutes for Sharpe, I think they’re impressed early with what they’ve seen from Sharpe I just don’t know how he fits into a standard nine-man rotation but I think they’re going to try and find minutes for him so I could talk myself into it but I don’t feel awesome.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  19. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    He makes a good point. How is the defense gonna be any good with Lillard, Simons and a Nurk who doesn't seem to be as mobile anymore? And isn't he right; that some of the things they tried defensively last year didn't really work?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Fairly-Hard likes this.
  20. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Yeah he’s right. Many here aren’t impressed with the roster. The only way I see us surprising is if Nas makes a huge jump in play and stays healthy. That’s a big if

THE HCP likes this.