2024 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BankTeller, Jul 25, 2023.

?

The "Way too Early' Draft prognostication

1. Holland

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Sarr

39 vote(s)
    83.0%
  3. Edwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Wanted to start a draft thread seeing as how we’ll certainly be a lottery team this season.

With the addition of Scoot in and Dame out, the goal of the draft still remains the same: players 6’7+ who are two way players.

In 2024, there are no sure-fire stars. But there are guys that would certainly help this team and fill huge roles.

AldoTrapani, JDC and Idog1976 like this.
  2. BankTeller

7’2, 260lbs, 7’7 wingspan. Returning for his sophomore year. His ability to protect the rim and cover space is amazingly impressive for a man that size.

Off the bat, his defense immediately would translate. Scoot could get him 6-8pts right away off dump off passes. His offensive game will get better, I’d say there isn’t a huge difference between he and Zubac right now offensively. If he can extend his range to even just the midrange, watch out.

I’m betting he will be a top 10 pick next draft. If there is no sure thing at the wing position, Clingan has to be our pick because he would change everything defensively.

With Scoot and Sharpe still in their first and second year, we could theoretically overpay for someone like Vando, draft Clingan, and then either bring in a vet third string C and lock down the C rotation for a few years. There may or may not be a better player than Vando to start at C, he was just a name I thought of.

I’m excited to see if he adds anything new on offense this season.

bxb and Idog1976 like this.
  3. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    I like it. He runs the floor well for a big man and his defensive instincts seem pretty good. Nice find.

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Do you guys do this on purpose? Like “hey let’s fuck with MM and talk about draft WABC in the lottery”

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Here's one you'll like better.

6. BankTeller

huh?

noknobs likes this.
  7. PtldPlatypus

@Mediocre Man's feelings about drafting white American-born centers are well-documented. Thus, any suggestion that the Blazers ever do so is (apparently) a direct assault on his mental health...or something like that.

8. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

I'm really high on a stretch from Arkansas.

Trevon Brazile. Played frosh year at Mizzou and then transferred to UA and got hurt early. Was projected borderline lotto pick before the injury. He can pop and drive and can be a factor as a 5. Really would love to add him. Little bit of 'Sheed in him

bxb, BankTeller and BIG Q like this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Shall we open threads for 2026 and 2027 too? Never too early to get excited about drafts.

Man, it’s going to be fun being the new TWolves, er Kings, er Sterling-era Clippers.

10. PtldPlatypus

If we can get the right return for Dame, and develop our youngsters well, we'll be back in the playoffs within 2 years. Just gotta do better than what the Heat are putting out there.

SlyPokerCat and BIG Q like this.
  11. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Good find. I will be watching him for sure. He looked really good offensively but there was not a lot of defense/rebounding in that clip but he can jump and block shots. Hopefully he can get 8+ boards per game.

RonBrewer likes this.
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I agree with the timeline to return to the postseason and the need to get a good return on Dame. I just am totally lacking in any excitement about who the Blazers may draft next year or the year after. My post was more exasperation with the fascination and faith that some people seem to have with the draft. Well-managed teams make a trip to the lottery portion of the draft every so often, but they don’t live there. I get more excited about the Blazers making moves this summer and up to the deadline to add talent that can put them back in that position.

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

You get me

kjironman1, THE HCP, cdub503 and 2 others like this.
  14. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

Arkansas used him in the High post offense and as a stretch on the wings. Was best 3pt shooter on team.
    He's going to be a stud.

BIG Q likes this.
  15. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Ron Holland, Cody Williams, Zaccharie Risacher, Kwame Evans

16. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Obviously the Blazers have no idea what kind of team they will have this season yet. Is Dame here or gone? If gone, what is the return? I certainly expect a top 7 pick, but we could get lucky or unlucky in the lottery. I understand drafting BPA, but we really need front court help.

17. BankTeller

Oh awesome, I'll be posting more white C's in this thread then, thanks :angel:

Idog1976 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

Remember though--he's OK with white foreign-born centers (such as the one I posted). And he's OK with white American-born centers drafted 15 or later, so picking up Edey in the 2nd round would be OK. As it stands, Clingan is the only prospect in the next couple drafts that fits the bill for drawing his ire.

Idog1976 likes this.
  19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Watching Vecenie and Spinella and they just said 2024 is the weakest draft in 7 years.

20. BankTeller

Wow he is quite impressive. He kind of reminds me of a Jalen Johnson clone except with more explosiveness and a better shooter. Maybe Jabari Smith Jr. The question is, where does he land on draft night?

6’10, sub-215lbs, 7’ wingspan, pretty good athleticism, great explosiveness. The guys he kind of reminds me of physique-wise:

Jalen Johnson
    Jabari Smith Jr
    Taylor Hendricks
    Christian Wood
    Paolo Banchero

I’m convinced he will be a very good shooter and possibly a perennial 40%+ from 3 kind of guy. Among that list, I only see JSJ being a better shooter in the long run. Is he going to be a plus defender? He looks to be at least passable, I don’t really have any convictions on his defense. If he pans out as a great defender, he’s probably as good as JSJ and and Hendricks are projected to be as defenders, both guys were lotto picks.

I’d be excited about drafting this guy if he was drafted using a pick from the Dame trade. If he’s the second guy we bring in addition to a lotto pick at the wing position, I’d be excited.

Idog1976 and RonBrewer like this.