2024 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BankTeller, Jul 25, 2023.

?

The "Way too Early' Draft prognostication

1. Holland

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Sarr

39 vote(s)
    83.0%
  3. Edwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

The most realistic possibility that I like so far would be reaching on Salaun at #7 and drafting Missi at #14. The more I think about it, the more I’m thinking Salaun + third best big at #14 becomes the reality barring any trades.

Salaun has the most superstar potential outside of Sarr and maybe Topic to me. This would be a move as savvy as picking Shae at #7. 6’10+ in shoes and could possibly keep growing, he isn’t 19 until August. His handle is decent for a guy his size and will eventually get better. I see a lot of promise in his shooting, he is going to eventually become a good pick and pop player. I don’t think he’s a bad defensive player, I just think he’s still a raw basketball player. I think there are going to be moments in the season where we are more impressed with Salaun’s defense than we were with Rupert’s offense last season. Salaun is going to need to spend an entire year in the GL, which I don’t mind.

Missi would make us quickly get over the fact that Salaun is in the GL though imo. Yves is going to make an impact right away. I like Missi slightly less than Mark Williams because Williams just has a ridiculous wingspan, but I think Missi will have a similar impact early.

Scoot/____/____
    Shae/____/Rupert
    Grant/Camara/Murray/Rupert
    Camara/Walker/Grant/Murray
    DA/Missi/Reath

I’d probably still want Grant here without a blue chip prospect at wing. But Ant, Brogdon, Thybulle, RobWill, I’m just asking for solid returns to fill out the roster. Black + the ‘25 DEN 1st for Ant, I’d probably take and give Black the keys at backup PG/SG.

AmirIcon and HoopsFanAZ like this.
  2. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    In the latest episode of the The Woj Pod, which was hosted by ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski from the combine, Givony said: I like this draft a lot more than 2013. I think a lot of these players are going to be good. Are any going to be superstars? Probably not. But there are going to be several All-Stars in this group, and there are going to be a lot of high-quality NBA players. When you’re drafting [top three], you want to get a franchise guy. Are any of these guys franchise players? Probably not, and that’s where people are a little bit down on this draft. Because you’re lacking that star power at the top that we typically expect. There’s not that one guy that we can latch onto, and center all of the attention on. But that’s what makes it interesting, to me. That’s what makes this draft fascinating.

BankTeller, PCmor7 and AmirIcon like this.
  3. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    Wizard Mentor likes this.
  4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I had no idea that Landry Fields was Atlanta's GM. Good for him.

5. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Exactly what I've been preaching to all the folks who keep repeating the "this draft sucks" talking point.

MrDraftGuy likes this.
  6. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    I really like Missi, but I think I like Ware a bit more. Ware clearly doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and can kind of do it all. Missi can be a Clint Capella type which is pretty good value.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  7. BankTeller

Ware’s motor worries me. It makes me think he may just turn into a Christian Wood kind of player. Don’t get me wrong, if Schmitz picks him at #14, I’ll be right here doing a complete 180 and talk about how we got a possible AS big man prospect at #14 lol.

Ultimately, if Schmitz believes his motor can be fixed, so will I. If you solve fixing his inconsistent motor, I really do think you have an AS level prospect.

Physique alone, 6’11.75 barefoot 7’4.5 wingspan 9’4.5 standing reach, he is only slightly less freakish than Mark Williams. Offensive potential looks great. If he had 75% of Sarr’s defensive potential and we think he can develop that part of his game, I would love the pick, even over Missi.

CJ_is_Gone and AmirIcon like this.
  8. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    I hear the motor issues were prior to going to Indiana. Even if true, I'll go with the higher ceiling guy which would be Ware.

BankTeller likes this.
  9. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I’d take Ware over Clingan and Edey. He’s way more of what you want in a modern big man. In a league where spreading the floor and being able to guard multiple positions is pivotal.

AmirIcon, CJ_is_Gone and Natebishop3 like this.
  10. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Without those 'issues' he would be a top 5 pick.

The unfortunate part is motor issues are the most difficult to solve.

Agreed. Definitely worth the risk at #14

TBpup, BankTeller and AmirIcon like this.
  11. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

12. BankTeller

Anyone have a strong opinion on potential vs ready-now this year, seeing that it is a class that lacks star power?

13. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    Potential! N0-brainer.

BankTeller likes this.
  14. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

portland can't exit the lottery cellar until they have stars. role player acquisition is already in progress and can be done later.

15. BankTeller

Well really, imo, the biggest swing-high outcome would be us ending up with Salaun, Missi/Ware, and Comche. Missi is the only guy that make an impact his rookie year, but both Salaun and Chomche could be lotto picks if they were spend a year or two in college.

Missi or Ware would stablize the big man rotation, we stash Salaun in the GL until next season (and Comche, maybe for even as long as two seasons) and see how Camara, Walker, Murray, and Rupert look with Grant as the main forward.

Brogdon, Thybulle, Williams, Ant can go for picks and 1-2 vet guards. We’ll suck and be in play for a blue chip forward prospect next season. I’d actually admire the ballsy direction, but I imagine most wouldn’t want to draft two projects.

AmirIcon likes this.
  16. BankTeller

There was a lot of love Ryan Dunn in December/January and a lot here wanted him at #14, did something happen?

17. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    Showed a terrible shot at the combine which might suggest he's going to be an absolute zero on offense for the foreseeable future in the league.

theprunetang likes this.
  18. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

He is a hell of a defensive player. He will be coming into the league with even less of an offensive package than Thybulle had as a rookie, however.

19. MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA Active Member

Offense just isn't there. The defense, as you know, is elite across all metrics so he'll probably go to a team in the 1st who needs that (Milwaukee?).

20. MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA Active Member

Vecenie just did a 45 min podcast on Risacher's big game. Doesnt sound like he was that impressed.