Event 24th annual Stamp Out Hunger food drive comes to your mailbox this Saturday

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, May 13, 2016.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Stamp Out Hunger, the 24th Annual National Association of Letter Carriers food drive is Saturday, May 14th. Letter carriers across the country will collect food donations as they deliver mail along their route. We hope to collect 1.3 million pounds of food for Oregon and Clark County, WA during this one day event.

Leave your canned food donations out for you letter carrier to pick up using the bag provided through your mail service. Or make a monetary donation at a Wells Fargo ATM.

All food and funds raised benefits the Oregon Food Bank Network.

Want to help out? Sign up to volunteer.

When:
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 during mail delivery/pick-up hours

Orion Bailey and Chris Craig like this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

This will be the 9th year that I've been in involved in this. It's the largest one day food drive in Oregon. Again this year I'm in charge of the Multnomah Village Post Office and will be leading a group of 40 volunteers. While the letter carriers pick up the donated food on their routes it's up to the volunteers to take it from the vehicles, sort it, pack it and load it to be shipped back to the Oregon Food Bank.

Please, even if it's just a couple of cans please donate tomorrow. It's a great cause!

Also I am authorized to sign any Community Service forums for high school, college and criminals if you wish to volunteer and receive credit for the hours worked.

3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Jlprk will appreciate the break. ;)

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

It is kind of a big deal, many local high schools and PSU require so many hours of community service before graduating. And I have signed forms for people who have to complete court ordered community service. Every year I have to go through hours of training because I am running a group of volunteers inside of a US Post Office. There are a number of federal regulations that have to be followed. Also I'm responsible if anyone decides to steal any mail or packages.

e_blazer, Chris Craig and riverman like this.
  5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I could have gotten something onto my resumé 3 times when I needed it.

riverman likes this.
  6. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    How much of that was past its expiration date? Believe it or not, I keep a spreadsheet of all food in my house, sorted by expiration date. I don't waste a morsel. After every grocery trip, it's time to hit the spreadsheet.

7. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Food banks get almost all their food from grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, etc., which donate their unsold extras every day or two. What percentage of your donations come from institutions instead of individuals? They might be shorting the food banks for one day per year and giving it to you instead. So no net increase to poor people.

8. SlyPokerDog

Volunteers unpack and sort food back at the two Oregon Food Bank locations. Food is checked for expiration dates and against food recall lists. It will take over 3 months to unpack and sort all of the food collected tomorrow. Then that food will be shipped out to local food banks throughout the state of Oregon.

riverman likes this.
  9. SlyPokerDog

All of the food collected tomorrow is collected from people's homes by US Postal Letter Carriers and volunteer drivers. Since this occurs on a Saturday there is no mail delivery to businesses so there won't be any food collected from businesses. Also this is a non-perishable food drive because of the large amount of food collected and the months it takes to sort it once it gets back to the food bank.

But every year some well meaning people do donate perishable food. That's one of the things that the volunteers at the post offices look for as they're packing the food for shipment back to the two Oregon Food Banks. Anything that will spoil is put into special bins and most of it found in the Portland area goes to a local pig farm.

riverman likes this.
  10. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

This a great cause and kudos to Sly for taking it on. I volunteer weekly at my local food bank and it seems like the number of families that need our services gets larger every year. Too, as summer approaches food stocks dwindle, as most food drives seem to take place from October through April (for whatever reason). The demand doesn't stop though, and it's difficult to provide balanced/sufficient meals during this time of year. Even when we lean on the Oregon Food Bank, pickings can get very slim. Anything and everything helps. I hope SC2 members will take a minute to reflect on how fortunate most of us are and lend a hand. Food is the most basic of needs and those who genuinely need it genuinely appreciate it. As Sly says, even a couple of cans can make a huge difference.....

11. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Even the bacon? You are enabling cannibalism.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  12. SlyPokerDog

Wow, that was awesome! Well said. And huge props to you for doing that weekly. I only volunteer once a year, lol.

13. SlyPokerDog

Over the years I've seen people who seem to literally empty their entire refrigerator into garbage bags and leave it out for the letter carrier to haul away. It's rude, gross, and it gets shipped off to the pig farm. It's up to the farmer to decide what to feed his pigs.

14. SlyPokerDog

Peanut butter is a great item to donate to this or your local food bank. High in protein!

riverman and UncleCliffy'sDaddy like this.
  15. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    It isn't much but I leave cans out every year.

16. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Well that's great that all donations coming from individual homes, not the same food businesses that already donate it anyway to Food Banks. I'll find it in my heart to donate a bag of ultra-expensive Hemp Heart seeds I bought at Costco. They expire Jan. 31, 2017. Need to spread the love, and there's no better way than hemp.

17. SlyPokerDog

Your attention to dates on food packaging is great, you should volunteer at your local food bank.

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  18. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Mine is loaded up and ready to go.

And my food bag is full too.

19. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    10 years ago I went to the food bank. I had eaten nothing but rice for 2 years. When I came out, one hippie couple was on the ground, eating some of their spoils. She looked like she was about to pass out from hunger. He looked stressed but more under control. The food was stupendous, rich man's food. I lugged mine home and was a little teary-eyed, I was so happy.

Have you ever eaten a spherical loaf of bread, shaped like a watermelon? Bakeries give away some pretty fancy unsold bread, with crusts that are tough on your teeth after you haven't eaten anything hard for awhile.

Food banks are great places, better than fancy restaurants. I only went twice. Then I got a job delivering papers at 2 in the morning in December, when it still snowed in Bellingham, before global warming. It never snows anymore.

20. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I got a card in the mail about it. There is a bag waiting to be set in front of my mailbox

SlyPokerDog likes this.