3 Blazers in sbnation's NBA Top 100 in 2017

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Now? Probably.

By 2017 Aldridge might not even be a Blazer. I think it's reasonable to assume that Dame could be our best player in 2017, so our best player won't even be in the top 30?

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    In theory, the Heat have 3 guys top 30. So 2 teams can't have their best player be in the top 30, as the math works out.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

By 2017 the Heat probably won't have three guys in the top 30.... just sayin.

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Some other teams will. I think that's the reasoning.

All this will change if Lillard steps up his game and clearly becomes a top 15 player in the West.

Just sayin.

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Why does this one rookie have to be ranked that high today? 4 year vets are significantly more effective players than rookies.

6. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the rookie of the year have a good chance of being one of those players? This isn't a ranking of today's players its four years from now. A ranking of #42 for Damian is a joke.

7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Andre Drummond the 3rd best player in the world in 4 years, behind only Durant and LeBron? Really? Yes, he's big and has potential, but he's played a total of 60 games at 20 MPG. And, forget Shaq and Wilt, Chris Dudley was a better FT shooter.

BNM

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If you say so.

What's his ranking now? Top 100? If so, to move to #42 is a big jump, eh?

Peoples' rankings may well change after another season if Lillard shows a nice upward progression as a player. If he sticks at a ~16 PER, #42 might be too high. If he puts up a PER over 20, I think #42 or better.

9. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Where is Wes Mathews on the list? I thought he was a top ten SG?

10. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

So you think there were nearly 100 players better than Lillard last year? Well obviously #42 is a great improvement by that metric I guess you’re a Lillard lover.

Lillard clearly was the Blazers second best player and arguably had a better 2013 season than all-star LaMarcus. With the worst bench in NBA history Portland should feel lucky to have a better record than any team. They had a record of 20-15 at one point; and 33-36 in late March, quite amazing indeed.

There were only 29 players who put up a 20+ PER. It includes players such as Andray Blatche, Anderson Varejao, Brandan Wright, Al Jefferson, and JaVale McGee. Hopefully with a lot of hard work in four years Lillard can improve so he’s as good as those guys.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Where do you rank him this year?

I think top 100, like I said.

Some guys are great at putting up gaudy (16 PER isn't gaudy tho) stats on losing teams. I still say he will change peoples' minds if he shows improvement toward the upper tier of players (over 20 PER).

12. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, Tyreke Evans all better than Wes? How can that be?

13. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they might need to find a spot for McCollum. Maybe Thomas Robinson.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  14. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Heres my ranks for last season if players were healthy. A lot of guys were injured which would probably move Lillard into the 30's as obviously he was better than fellow rookie Anthony Davis or non-playing Derrick Rose.

1 LEBRON
    2 DURANT
    3 PARKER
    4 PAUL
    5 HOWARD
    6 IRVING
    7 DIRK
    8 CURRY
    9 KOBE
    10 ROSE
    11 CHANDLER
    12 WESTBROOK
    13 MELO
    14 WADE
    15 DUNCAN
    16 HARDEN
    17 DERON
    18 HORFORD
    19 ALDRIDGE
    20 PIERCE
    21 NOAH
    22 MARC
    23 RONDO
    24 HIBBERT
    25 WALL
    26 SANDERS
    27 IGGY
    28 DAVIS
    29 JOSH
    30 LOVE
    31 HOLIDAY
    32 BOSH
    33 KAWHI
    34 GARNETT
    35 DENG
    36 GEORGE
    37 ZBO
    38 GRIFFIN
    39 LAWSON
    40 GALINARI
    41 MILLSAP
    42 IBAKA
    43 AK47
    44 LILLARD

15. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Lillard did lead the entire league in minutes played. I don't believe that's been done by a rookie in a very, very long time. You have to take the big minutes into account when you evaluate his utility this last year. Every extra minute he played kept an inferior bench guy on the bench.

Going forward you have to figure that as he plays 32-35 mpg like most NBA point guards, he'll have higher per-minute productivity. There's a reason why even with all the great PG's we have in the league now only 6 of them play more than 35mpg. There's severely diminishing returns at that point in efficiency, and Lillard likely suffered from that last season.

16. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

I didn't know where to post this and since he's on this list, I'll just do it here.

HIBBERT IS HUGE NOW

[​IMG]

17. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Maybe Lillard can move up a dozen spots this year to a tie with Rubio?

18. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

This list is worse than the shit espn posts....

Edit: just realized the date on this. Im Sure they would all be higher after this season.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Bwahaha... Yeah, a guy who needs the ball in his hands, but isn't a threat to score is going to be All-NBA. Right. I've been saying this about Rubio since he first came into the league, a PG who can't shoot AND can't finish at the rim, is a major road block to success in today's NBA. All the Minnesota fans that "adore" Ricky claim he's a great passer who makes his team better. The fact is, he's a flashy passer with a good, but not elite AST% who turns the ball over way too much and can't score to save his life.

In the past, they've used the injury excuse for why their team consistently underachieves. Well this year that excuse was no longer valid and they still missed the playoffs and finished with a losing record. They were HORRIBLE at finishing close games, and that was largely Rubio's fault. With the game close, in the 4th quarter, other teams backed off Rubio, clogged the passing lanes and dared him to shoot. He had so little confidence in his ability to shoot the basketball (justifiably so) that he became totally useless and ended up getting benched in the 4th quarter of close games in favor of JJ Barea.

If you look at the Clutch Statistics (4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points) at 82games.com you will see that the Timberwolves were outscored by 71 points with Rubio in the game and the game on the line. That's an appallingly bad -25.0 net points/48 in clutch situations.

Now, compare that to Damian Lillard, a guy these idiots ranked 12 spots LOWER than Rubio. The Blazers outscored their opponents by 95 points with Lillard in the game and the game on the line. That's +23.1 net points/48 in clutch situations.

This is why Lillard is an all-star on a team that won 54 games and made it to the second round of the playoffs, and Rubio is a liability on a team with a losing record. This is also why you shouldn't turn to sbnation for your basketball coverage. Relying on these guys for projections of NBA players is like asking the guy who mows your lawn for stock tips.

BNM

20. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    How the fuck does this inanity even spark a conversation?