Game Thread 4/16/17 Game 3 Montreal Canadiens vs New York Rangers

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Messiah717, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

How did Torts and his cup work out?

2. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

When you say a real coach who can win in the playoffs you go too far Step. AV has been to 2 SCF's and is 14th place all-time with 63 playoff wins. That is not a fair statement even if I do think we may need a change if we bow out sadly the next 2 games.

3. RangersFan

That would be the ultimate plan. And I would do it if I were Gorton. We can always sign players to play in NYC, so I would deal a decent pick/asset to a team to take Girardi's contract (or Staal's).

4. Messiah717

AV just signed an extension in January. He's not getting fired so it's a much more useful exercise at this point to look at the roster.

5. RangersFan

Agree 717. Only 1% shot is we get rolled games 4 and 5, and even then less than a small chance he gets fired.

I do think we will see a much bigger roster reshaping this summer than last summer. We are in a much better position to do that this summer. Plus the expansion team can help also as 71 pointed out.

6. Messiah717

I agree. Kind of like what I was saying about too many of the same players.

7. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

my lord, he has zero cups. He is 4 games under 500 in his playoff career as a coach. Are you serious? Winning in the playoffs I mean actually winning the cup and not just making the finals. This mule single handedly lost last game in montreal with his decision making.

8. RangersFan

I think we need more grit on the roster than skill and playmakers. That's just my opinion though.

We all agree we can use Shatty of course. I really hope that happens. A base of McDonagh, Shatty, and Skjei is a great start.

9. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Messiers are generational players but they don't have anyone vocal on the roster to inspire when things are down. Even in-game..you can't always rely on the coach.

10. RangersFan

Your AV hate blinds you Step. I will leave it at that. It is hard to win the cup. To make crazy statements like a coach who can actually win in the playoffs when AV is top 15 all-time in playoff wins and has been to 2 SCF's is over the top.

I will leave it at that. Not getting into a back and forth over AV, no point right now.

11. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Yeah i was kind of feeding off what you said.

12. Messiah717

I've felt that way for a few years now. That's why I never bought or buy they're just one Dman away. I understand what they were thinking when they got Nash to replace Gaborik but I think they needed to build on that instead of just relying on what they had. Some of their contracts might of limited that though.

13. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

chuck, av's coached teams in the playoffs are 0 and 6 at home in their last 6 games. Thats unheard of. This guy deserved the boot after this game.

14. RangersFan

One last comment, the final stats on the game are so misleading. Hopefully people call this what it was, an embarrassing no show no passion "effort".

When the game was in doubt the Rangers had like 15 shots, 1 or 2 medium chances, and were dominated in the face off circle.

The final stats show 1 goal (BS garbage time goal), 21 shots (a handful of BS garbage time shots), and 31-28 Montreal on face offs (we were crushed at face offs prior to garbage time).

This was pathetic.

Anyway...onto game 4. Must win. Let's see if the Rangers have any pride. They didn't show it against TB or the Pens at home, we'll see if they do it in game 4 with their season pretty much on the line. My hopes are low, but I will root and wish for a passionate effort and some goals.

15. RangersFan

Who should they add 717? Top stud players, the handful of them, aren't walking in that door. They made the effort with Nash, and he was a dud when it counted most.

Hockey is not basketball where you cannot win without studs. Sure Hank makes 1.5-2 mill too much. And Nash at 7.8 was too much (thankfully he only has 1 year left), but not sure what other options we had.

I standby my opinion that we need a Shatty on the back end, and more grit and snarl upfront before we need a playmaker. Plus I don't see the stud that we can add anyway. So that needs to be the focus I think.

And we do all this knowing Hank's window is almost closed. MAYBE we get 2 more seasons...MAYBE. And maybe only 1.

16. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

The vultures are circling! Put a fork in 'em! At least let things play out before calling the season over, win Tuesday and back in business. The series is far from over. LGR!

17. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Talbot with another shutout .. They got fleeced in that deal

18. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

This series is over. From what I've seen, the fowards are completely incompetent right now and the defense has basically sucked for over 2 years. Amazingly, they defense has been somewhat decent in this series. I've said for 2 years. This team is not built for the playoffs because our head coach has in the incorrect philosophy of how a team needs to be built. Unless our GM fixes that, this team is screwed.

19. RangersFan

My issue is not just that we lost last night panzer, it is how we lost. Another lifeless, emotionless, lack of effort home ice L in the playoffs. That's my issue. 15 shots and no real threats until garbage time with 4 minutes left in the game. Same theme for 6 straight at home now. That is my issue more than a loss last night.

And yeah the series is not over, a win in game 4 and this is an even series that can still go either way, but we need to actually care and play hard with passion and emotion to have a chance in game 4. Not sure we know how to do that at home in the playoffs.

So that is my issue, way more than being down 2-1 in a playoff series is some insurmountable deficit.

20. RangersFan

Summed up well by Hank:

"I think it's important we start with ourselves and not look at what they are doing. Let's start with ourselves. Yes, they are a good team. We have to give more at home, in the playoffs, or we aren't going to win. We need more; it's as simple as that.

Dead on and 100% right.