5 Favorite Bands/Musicians of All Time

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tim, Jan 9, 2008.

1. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Who would you select as your 5 favorite bands or solo artists of all time?

Here are mine:
    (in no particular order)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience- With the best guitarist to ever walk this planet running the show, and one of the founders of the psychedelic music scene, the Experience will certainly go down in history.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers- Great musicianship all around at every instrument, their mixture of rock, funk, and occasionally hip hop is unbelievable. In my opinion the best band in the last 25 years.

The Beatles- Tey are the reason all these rock bands are here today, I give all the credit to them, not only that, their music was arguably still the best of its kind once the other bands came along.

Simon and Garfunkel- Beautiful soft acoustic music with incredible song writing, I would consider them the best ever at their genre. They were much better together rather than apart

Led Zeppelin- My favorite band of all time. The founder of hard rock and (unfortunately) heavy metal. Not only could they play the greatest, loudest songs of the time, they could also throw down a soft acoustic song at you. Those were just as good, if not better, than their heavier songs. The best example of their work is Stairway to Heaven; it shows both their acoustic and their heavy side in the same song.

2. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

I'd have to say Avril Lavigne, Green Day, The Beatles, Shakira, and Queen.

3. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

In No order [​IMG]

Queen
    Bon Jovi
    AeroSmith
    DJ Tiesto
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers

4. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Brand New
    Dierks Bentley
    Nas
    Joe Buddens
    Boyz II Men

(I know, I'm random)

5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

This thread is inviting me to ramble...

1) Red Hot Chili Peppers (including John Frusciante's solo works)
    2t.) The Beatles
    2t.) The Doors
    2t.) Jimi Hendrix (Experience, Band of Gypsys, etc.)

I have a clear #1, the Chilis. I think their music is immaculate, and I could go on for days about it, so I'll stop with that. However, I'm just as big of a fan of the Beatles, the Doors, and Hendrix. I think the Beatles' later stuff (Rubber Soul and onward) is much more listenable and relevant than their early material, whereas I see it as being the other way around for the Doors, who really sort of tailed off with the Soft Parade due to Morrison's addictions. Hendrix never had a bad album. I just wish he lived to make more of them. After those three, there's hundreds of bands that I'll consider favorites, but none are really enduring. I've gone through stretches of Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Lynard Skynard, Incubus, Kings of Leon, the Allman Brothers, Ten Years After, King Crimson, Gov't Mule, and hell, even the Turtles, to name a few. I'm still big fans of each of those bands, but I don't think I could pick one over the other.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BG7 Lavigne @ Jan 9 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd have to say Avril Lavigne, Green Day, The Beatles, Shakira, and Queen.</div>

The Beatles in the same breath as Avril Lavigne, Green Day, and Shakira?

I've got to figure out your age, gender, background, etc.; I thought you were a 12 year old girl, but if I remember correctly, you're actually a guy? I'm intrigued.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Led Zeppelin- My favorite band of all time. The founder of hard rock and (unfortunately) heavy metal. Not only could they play the greatest, loudest songs of the time, they could also throw down a soft acoustic song at you. Those were just as good, if not better, than their heavier songs. The best example of their work is Stairway to Heaven; it shows both their acoustic and their heavy side in the same song.</div>

You've got really good taste in music, but I wouldn't call Zeppelin the founder of hard rock, when they stole most of what they wrote on the first three albums. "Stairway to Heaven," was actually ripped from a band called Spirit, which Zeppelin opened up for back in the day. "Dazed and Confused," was taken note for note from Jake Holmes. "I Can't Quit You Baby" and "Whole Lotta Love," were written by Willie Dixon. "We're Gonna Groove," is by Ben E. King. "You Shook Me," was written by J.B. Lenoir. "The Lemon Song," was written by Howlin' Wolf. "When the Levee Breaks," was Memphis Minnie. Etc.

The worst part is, Page and Plant didn't even give any credit to the musicians they ripped off. Every credit on their original albums was to Page and Plant. It was only after they were sued in recent years that they had to go back and change their credits, meaning you can't really defend the guys as "covering" old blues songs, as there was really no intent to let people know the original authors.

With that said, I'm still a Led Zeppelin fan. They wrote a lot of great original tracks (as far as I know, "Black Dog" and "Kashmir" are both original), and if you look at the songs they stole as covers, they were good at taking other people's music and putting a different spin on it, but it's just always been hard for me to view them as covers given the way they tried to pass it off as their original work, and given the way that most of the world stills sees it that way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>DJ Tiesto</div>

I saw him live at Voodoo Fest and had an amazing time. I'd probably rank it as one of the three or four best shows I've ever seen live. I'm just not sure how listenable his music is out of that setting. In a rave-like environment with thousands of other people, he was amazing, but I've never given him a chance in any other environment.

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
  7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>You've got really good taste in music, but I wouldn't call Zeppelin the founder of hard rock, when they stole most of what they wrote on the first three albums. "Stairway to Heaven," was actually ripped from a band called Spirit, which Zeppelin opened up for back in the day. "Dazed and Confused," was taken note for note from Jake Holmes. "I Can't Quit You Baby" and "Whole Lotta Love," were written by Willie Dixon. "We're Gonna Groove," is by Ben E. King. "You Shook Me," was written by J.B. Lenoir. "The Lemon Song," was written by Howlin' Wolf. "When the Levee Breaks," was Memphis Minnie. Etc.

The worst part is, Page and Plant didn't even give any credit to the musicians they ripped off. Every credit on their original albums was to Page and Plant. It was only after they were sued in recent years that they had to go back and change their credits, meaning you can't really defend the guys as "covering" old blues songs, as there was really no intent to let people know the original authors.

With that said, I'm still a Led Zeppelin fan. They wrote a lot of great original tracks (as far as I know, "Black Dog" and "Kashmir" are both original), and if you look at the songs they stole as covers, they were good at taking other people's music and putting a different spin on it, but it's just always been hard for me to view them as covers given the way they tried to pass it off as their original work, and given the way that most of the world stills sees it that way.</div>
    It took me a while to come to terms with this, but I have eventually. I don't have much of a problem with them covering old blues artists because so many other bands at that time did the same thing (Hendrix, The Who, any band with Clapton in it). And they made every one of those songs their own (sometimes they were much better). But, like you said, its hard to defend the fact that they didn't credit those artists. Page was notoriously cheap, Plant was too lazy to pick out all of his different influences in a given song, and they had a manager that was hellbent on making them as much money as possible. Its not really justified, but on the other hand there's a long history in the music industry of cutting costs and taking someone else's work if one could get away with it. I can't really defend it, in the end. I don't really want to either. I still love their music (especially John Paul Jones, that dude is perpetually underrated) and I'm fully aware that they were re-doing older songs (like a lot of my other favourite bands). Its a shame that people don't recognize the original authors, but that doesn't make their music any less enjoyable for me.

Anyways:

1. Led Zeppelin
    2. Jimi Hendrix
    3. The Beatles
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Black Sabbath

8. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    Rock/Metal
    1-Deftones
    2-Alice In Chains
    3-Thrice
    4-Mudvayne
    5-Mars Volta/At The Drive-In
    Honorable Mention (6)-Faith No More

Hip-Hop
    1-P.O.S.
    2-The Roots
    3-MF Doom (Metal Fingers, Madvillain etc.)
    4-Blue Scholars
    5-El-P
    Honorable Mention (6)-Atmosphere/MURS/Felt/Brother Ali

Overall
    1-Deftones
    2-Alice In Chains
    3-P.O.S.
    4-Thrice
    5-Mudvayne

9. ATLien

ATLien Member

Led Zeppelin
    Rage Against The Machine
    Guns N Roses
    Nirvana
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

10. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    Erasure, Billy Joel, Ethnix, Eyal Golan, JS Bach, John Williams

11. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Styx
    CCR
    Cream
    Sugarcult
    Led Zeppelin

12. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    I really should add Jim Brickman too...

13. ATLien

ATLien Member

Is that KAS?

14. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    I am many things, to many people.

15. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BG7 Lavigne @ Jan 9 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd have to say <u>Avril Lavigne, Green Day</u>, The Beatles, <u>Shakira,</u> and Queen.</div>

I'm speechless. Those 3 [​IMG]

16. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

The Roots - If you're only generally aware, then forget about their recent radio hits and go pick up "Illadelph Halflife." Thank me later

Blur - 'Song 2' is garbage by comparison to their other works. "The Great Escape," and "Moddern Life is Rubbish" get continual play and are perfectly sculpted albums.

Francis Dunnery - Like Blur, but with a softer edge and more of a 'folk' sound.

XTC - So many classic albums.

The Slip - Not really, but 'Even Rats' is my favorite song on Guitar Hero

17. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

Brand New

The Game

Eminem

Nirvana

Linkin Park

18. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 12 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BG7 Lavigne @ Jan 9 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'd have to say <u>Avril Lavigne, Green Day</u>, The Beatles, <u>Shakira,</u> and Queen.</div>

I'm speechless. Those 3 [​IMG]
    </div>

To be fair, it's favorite musicians/groups, not best all time - at least in this thread...

19. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jan 12 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The Roots - If you're only generally aware, then forget about their recent radio hits and go pick up "Illadelph Halflife." Thank me later</div>
    Everything they have done is amazing IMO, but your right, Illadelph Halflife is amazing

20. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BasX @ Jan 12 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jan 12 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The Roots - If you're only generally aware, then forget about their recent radio hits and go pick up "Illadelph Halflife." Thank me later</div>
    Everything they have done is amazing IMO, but your right, Illadelph Halflife is amazing
    </div>

oh god how great are the songs "The Hypnotic," and "No Alibi?"