60+ Games This Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by ROCK4LIFE, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting shootingmachine:</div><div class="quote_post">And I dont dislike rockets or there fans, but the fans on this site annoy me, not all them but some of them starting pointless topics and going on about Yao 24/7. Even u rock4life have to admit there are certain fans on this site that take it too far.</div>I'm getting very tired of your bullcrap. You keep going on and on about us being Yao-lovers and all, but give me one example of the pointless topics.

That thread about Yao's birthday actually talked about his play in the game that day, and almost every active forum on these boards have threads for the birthdays of star players. Even if that thread had solely been a birthday thread for Yao, there wouldn't have been anything wrong with it. That other thread about Yao being able to cook was made by a new member, and it was promptly moved to the off-topic lounge. Mods are the ones who decide which threads are pointless and which threads aren't, and I would appreciate it if you'd direct your complaints to me instead of the Rockets posters as a whole. Your input is welcome but your baseless criticism is not.

2. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

Get a life shootingmachine, seriously, dont you have anything better to do than worry about us all day? Does everyone have to have the same opinion as you? OMG, someone thinks yao is better than ben, this is so crazy, OMG OMG OMG!!!?

3. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

I think if everyone goes well, and Yao becomes agressive and can improve his stamina some, Tmac doesn't play pg for long periods of time, and Dekembe is continued to be used in the 4th quarter. Then the Rockets could win 60 games.

If there is a major injury to Tmac or Yao, I could see them being the 4th best team in their division, because their division is pretty competitive.

4. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

Yes, if Tmac or Yao goes down look for dallas to pass us up, but not Memphis. WE still have enough to beat them.

5. TheMegaGreg

TheMegaGreg JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

60 wins seems like a Stretch. Houston really doesn't seem to have the weapons on offense or defence to win 60 games. In all honesty, I would put them in the middle of the Western conference, no higher than 6th. Below (in no order) the Suns, Spurs, Mavericks, Nuggets, and the Kings. 40-50 wins seems more Reasonable.

6. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheMegaGreg:</div><div class="quote_post">60 wins seems like a Stretch. Houston really doesn't seem to have the weapons on offense or defence to win 60 games. In all honesty, I would put them in the middle of the Western conference, no higher than 6th. Below (in no order) the Suns, Spurs, Mavericks, Nuggets, and the Kings. 40-50 wins seems more Reasonable.</div>
    I do agree with you in that I don't think 60 wins is possible as well, but 45-50? We're talking about a team here that overcame a 6-11 start, numerous trades and injuries, and still came up win 51 wins and 5th in the West last season. This year, with the addition of two big-name free agents and no loss of any rotation player for 04-05, we're definitely going to top 51. The Nuggets still don't have a shooting guard, but they're better than us? I'd say that the Suns, Mavs and Kings are all on the same level as the Rockets, so I don't think we'll go any lower than 5th in the West.

7. TheMegaGreg

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">I do agree with you in that I don't think 60 wins is possible as well, but 45-50? We're talking about a team here that overcame a 6-11 start, numerous trades and injuries, and still came up win 51 wins and 5th in the West last season. This year, with the addition of two big-name free agents and no loss of any rotation player for 04-05, we're definitely going to top 51. The Nuggets still don't have a shooting guard, but they're better than us? I'd say that the Suns, Mavs and Kings are all on the same level as the Rockets, so I don't think we'll go any lower than 5th in the West.</div>

I really don't see how you can say the Rockets are on the level of the Suns, Mavs or the Kings.

The Suns have Amare, Nash and Marion. Add to that the additions of Bell and Thomas playing defence, as well as Former Rocket Jim Jackson. The Suns are still the 2nd best team in the west.

The Nuggets have Lenard back at the 2 guard this year to shoot the 3. Also, you can look at excellent defencer DeMarr Johnson.

The Kings aren't much better, but I still think they have the edge. Bibby, Peja, as well as Shareff will be able to score at will on the Rockets. I will say that the Rockets may be equal to the Kings, but that is doubtful

8. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Nuggets have Lenard back at the 2 guard this year to shoot the 3. Also, you can look at excellent defencer DeMarr Johnson.</div>
    Even with Lenard back, we have more and better role players than Denver. Barry, Wesley, Mutumbo (all three are good defenders), and Howard will all be probably rounding out the bench while Denver really just have two good ones in Boykins and Nene. I'd say the starting lineup is pretty much even where the Nuggest have a lot of elite status players while we've got an amazing superstar player in McGrady and great center in Yao. In addition, we have good role players with Swift and Anderson now complementing the two. Its debatable on which team is better.

9. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shootingmachine:</div><div class="quote_post">OK I dont want u as my enemy, I would rank Ben ahead of Yao (only for the moment, yao will be better than ben soon) going by impact (know it sounds crazy but bear with me, its all opinions) but if i was compiling the top 10 centers, Yao would be no.2 because of his potential and because he is still young, I would take Yao ahead of Ben in a flash, as i have said before. U all seem to think I hate Yao, not the case at all. And I dont dislike rockets or there fans, but the fans on this site annoy me, not all them but some of them starting pointless topics and going on about Yao 24/7. Even u rock4life have to admit there are certain fans on this site that take it too far.</div>
    Trust me.........Hearing you explain how Ben Wallace is a all around player gets "annoying" too. Stats alone suggest that Yao's the better player, and only a critic of the rockets would make a inaccurate statement like that.

10. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheMegaGreg:</div><div class="quote_post">60 wins seems like a Stretch. Houston really doesn't seem to have the weapons on offense or defence to win 60 games. In all honesty, I would put them in the middle of the Western conference, no higher than 6th. Below (in no order) the Suns, Spurs, Mavericks, Nuggets, and the Kings. 40-50 wins seems more Reasonable.</div>
    That's such a untrue statement. Going by the stats, we had the best defense in the league right behind San Antonio. Offense wise, we picked up our scoring to over a 100pts a game. So I don't really know where your getting your information from. Mutumbo, Mike James, Tmac, are all very good defensive guys. Swift and Yao are both good shot blockers. DA is also a good defender. If your going to be critical of the Rockets, can you atleast put up a better arguement.

The Rockets handled the Sun pretty well last year. Phoenix ain't no threat to us. Maveriks lost Finley, and they aren't much of a threat. Sacramento has no answer for Yao or Tmac. They simply can't match up with us.

11. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheMegaGreg:</div><div class="quote_post">The Suns have Amare, Nash and Marion. Add to that the additions of Bell and Thomas playing defence, as well as Former Rocket Jim Jackson. The Suns are still the 2nd best team in the west.</div>I'm not saying the Suns are any worse off here. Trading Richardson was a very smart move and one necessary to get Amare back to his natural position of PF. The Johnson saga might not have been best for the team, but I'm sure Jackson, Bell and Diaw will more than make up for it. However, the Rockets added two starters, moved two other starters down to bloster the bench. and the team has the right mix of veterans and youth. The Suns will play an entertaining brand of ball, but Kurt Thomas at 6-9 isn't going to do anything to Yao.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Nuggets have Lenard back at the 2 guard this year to shoot the 3. Also, you can look at excellent defencer DeMarr Johnson. </div>Voshon Lenard hasn't played for a year and looks rather out of shape. He'll be an upgrade over Bryon Russell and Greg Buckner, but Lenard is too weak on defense to do anything to TMac, DA and Wesley.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Kings aren't much better, but I still think they have the edge. Bibby, Peja, as well as Shareff will be able to score at will on the Rockets. I will say that the Rockets may be equal to the Kings, but that is doubtful</div>No one scored at will on the Rockets last year. Yeah, it might have happened once or twice, but no one has put up consistently great performances against our team. You're seriously underestimating our defense here. Van Gundy is best known for his defensive system, and we finished 2nd in the league in points allowed last year. I would say we're a top 3 team defensively in the NBA. We have solid, if not great, defenders at every position and we'll be more than happy to shut down the three you mentioned.

Now that I've touched on our defense, please enlighten me on how the Kings can guard us. Adelman's teams have always been weak on defense and this one could be one of the worst. Stojakovic is no match for TMac, and I doubt that moving Francisco Garcia or Bonzi Wells to cover Tracy will be much help either. Brad Miller gives Yao problems down low but Yao has enough options around him to not have to take a very big load of the offensive distribution. James, Wesley, Anderson, Swift, Howard and Sura are all capable of going over 12 points any night if given the minutes and against the Kings, the Rockets can count on scoring 100 points at the very least.

12. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

The Rockets will win 60 plus games this year. People don't seem to realize that we have two players that can score very easily. Miami is the same way. Every night we take the court, we already have a mismatch at Center and SF. Not only that, if we don't play offensivley, our defense will win alot of ball games for us. Don't forget, our defense is 2nd best in the whole league. Statistics show that the best defensive teams usually have incredible records. That's why San Antonio is always going deep in the playoffs. So that, combined with a leaper in Swift, and slasher in Anderson, and distributor in Alston, makes us open for 60 plus wins (and Western Conference Finals debut). People who put Phoenix head of us will regret that by midseason. Phoenix doesn't have a Center, and will get abused in the paint night in and night out.

13. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">People who put Phoenix head of us will regret that by midseason. Phoenix doesn't have a Center, and will get abused in the paint night in and night out.</div>
    ...They were fine without a legit center last year. In fact, they've improved the center position a bit with the addition of Kurt Thomas. The fact of the matter is, they could care less if they got abused in the paint night in and night out, because Amare will be having his way in the paint on the other end.

14. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">...They were fine without a legit center last year. In fact, they've improved the center position a bit with the addition of Kurt Thomas. The fact of the matter is, they could care less if they got abused in the paint night in and night out, because Amare will be having his way in the paint on the other end.</div>
    Actually they had a Center in Steven Hunter. He's a legit 7foot, and a leaper. That allowed Amare to move back down to PF. Now they've only made the problem worse by getting a 6'7 Kurt Thomas, and Brian Grant, who both aren't centers. I think the fact that they don't have a shot blocker is going to hurt them too. Teams will attack the rim more, and Amare is going to end up in foul trouble much like Yao did last year. Amare will have his way, that's a given. He's quicker than most PF's, and will get most of his points going around his defender. But Phoenix still lacks a real inside game, and it's going to hurt them. Not to mention they're fast break game. It's not going to be nearly as effective as last year. The Rockets will punish them this year, on our way to 65 wins............

15. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually they had a Center in Steven Hunter. He's a legit 7foot, and a leaper. That allowed Amare to move back down to PF. Now they've only made the problem worse by getting a 6'7 Kurt Thomas, and Brian Grant, who both aren't centers. I think the fact that they don't have a shot blocker is going to hurt them too. Teams will attack the rim more, and Amare is going to end up in foul trouble much like Yao did last year. Amare will have his way, that's a given. He's quicker than most PF's, and will get most of his points going around his defender. But Phoenix still lacks a real inside game, and it's going to hurt them. Not to mention they're fast break game. It's not going to be nearly as effective as last year. The Rockets will punish them this year, on our way to 65 wins............</div>
    Yeah, but Hunter played an average of 13.8 minutes, not exactly legit in my eyes if he can't play there for too long. Its not like teams didn't drive into the paint when Hunter was in there. Although both Thomas and Grant aren't true centers, Thomas I know can definitely hold his own against other big men. He's got great fundamentals in the fact that he knows how to box out well, is a great rebounder, and a decent shooter. I actually think he brings a lot more to the table than Hunter. Don't you get it? It doesn't matter if Phoenix lacks an inside defensive game (which I think is better than last year). The Suns didn't have one last year, and had a great season. As for their fast break game, I think they've patched it up a bit with a better bench so everything evens out. They've added Diaw, Jones, Grant, and Bell so they pretty much improved in that category.

16. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, but Hunter played an average of 13.8 minutes, not exactly legit in my eyes if he can't play there for too long. Its not like teams didn't drive into the paint when Hunter was in there. Although both Thomas and Grant aren't true centers, Thomas I know can definitely hold his own against other big men. He's got great fundamentals in the fact that he knows how to box out well, is a great rebounder, and a decent shooter. I actually think he brings a lot more to the table than Hunter. Don't you get it? It doesn't matter if Phoenix lacks an inside defensive game (which I think is better than last year). The Suns didn't have one last year, and had a great season. As for their fast break game, I think they've patched it up a bit with a better bench so everything evens out. They've added Diaw, Jones, Grant, and Bell so they pretty much improved in that category.</div>
    Obviously we have different opinions. I just don't think starting a 6'7 Center is going to be effective. What happens when Amare gets in foul trouble, who's backing him up, Brian Grant? It's going to hurt tremendously. When teams go to the rim, they'll have NO FEAR. Not only is Kurt Thomas undersized, but he's old and slow too. So is Brian Grant. With all the streaky shooters on they're team, expect Phoenix to have a real up and down season. Teams will buckle down on Nash and Amare, and turn Marion into a shooter (which he isn't much of). The Rockets are so much better. Aslong we have Yao being held by Kurt Thomas, expect a season sweep.

17. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Obviously we have different opinions. I just don't think starting a 6'7 Center is going to be effective. What happens when Amare gets in foul trouble, who's backing him up, Brian Grant? It's going to hurt tremendously. When teams go to the rim, they'll have NO FEAR. Not only is Kurt Thomas undersized, but he's old and slow too. So is Brian Grant. With all the streaky shooters on they're team, expect Phoenix to have a real up and down season. Teams will buckle down on Nash and Amare, and turn Marion into a shooter (which he isn't much of). The Rockets are so much better. Aslong we have Yao being held by Kurt Thomas, expect a season sweep.</div>
    The Knicks played with him for most of last season and he performed pretty well. When Amare got in foul trouble last year, who was going to back him up anyway? You only had Hunter. However, by getting Hunter and Grant, Amare can now shift over to his natural position where he'll dominate while Marion can go back to small forward. Besides, Amare can always go switch up and play center on defense with Kurt going to powerforward. No big deal when it comes to defense. When teams went to the rim last season, you think they were shaking in their hi tops when Hunter was down low in the paint? Marion's actually a pretty good shooter, don't know what you're on about that one.

18. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">Obviously we have different opinions. I just don't think starting a 6'7 Center is going to be effective. What happens when Amare gets in foul trouble, who's backing him up, Brian Grant? It's going to hurt tremendously. When teams go to the rim, they'll have NO FEAR. Not only is Kurt Thomas undersized, but he's old and slow too. So is Brian Grant. With all the streaky shooters on they're team, expect Phoenix to have a real up and down season. Teams will buckle down on Nash and Amare, and turn Marion into a shooter (which he isn't much of). The Rockets are so much better. Aslong we have Yao being held by Kurt Thomas, expect a season sweep.</div>
    Buddy, you got to stick to facts. Kurt Thomas and Brian Grant are 6'9. Exaggeration won't help the arguement.

Secondly, you say teams will have "NO FEAR" driving against Phoenix. Well a combination of Kurt Thomas and Amare is bigger than what they used to use (Amare and Marion). Also Kurt Thomas is a better post defender than Marion, so Phoenix has only improved defensively down low.

19. TheMegaGreg

Yao can't count as a defensive option against the Suns for the simple fact that his 7-7 frame takes too long to get up and down the court. Also, he is not that great of a defender, i mean per 48 Shawn Bradley averaged almost double the blocks, and nearly the same number of rebounds. And you can't seriously believe that defenders will be afriad of a centre whom is called a "friendly Giant"? I have never heard Ben Wallace called that.

Secondly, Yao wont be effective on offense either. Yes he has height, but at 296 pounds, and 7"7, he wont be able to move Grant (6"9 254 pounds), Kurt Thomas (230 pounds) or the Beast that is Amare very easily. Given he scored 14, 27, 19, and 10 points for an amazing average of 17.5 points per game. Not bad for an "amazing Talent" playing against "No Inside Presence". This year he should score between 1-15 a game...when he is not too tired from running suicides against the suns.

20. TheAnswer2

TheAnswer2 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">Now I could respect your opinion, but this comment says alot about how "optimistic" of Yao and the Rockets. Just about everybody sees Yao as the second best center, but for some reason YOU don't. Now YOU come in here and say that 10 more wins is unrealistc for the Rockets. I see a pattern here..........</div>

I think Yao is tied w/ Ben for second. Ben is better now and Yao is up there for his potential. He doesn't rebound like he should.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">The Nuggets still don't have a shooting guard, but they're better than us? I'd say that the Suns, Mavs and Kings are all on the same level as the Rockets, so I don't think we'll go any lower than 5th in the West.</div>

Disagree, Nugs have a SF that can bang, slash and now defend, a C who is damn near Wallace as far as defense, a PF that, I believe, would dominate Swift, a pass first PG, and sparks off the bench. However, I very much like Hou, I think they have a problem concerning PG, and they messed up trading James, seeing as how he was a good defensive player with energy.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets handled the Sun pretty well last year. Phoenix ain't no threat to us. Maveriks lost Finley, and they aren't much of a threat. Sacramento has no answer for Yao or Tmac. They simply can't match up with us.</div>

Aint no threat? Seeing as how Amare is capable of manhandling anyone in the league outside of Shaq? Dallas isn't a threat? Wtf, TMac won't be shutting down Nowitzki when he's healthy, I read he had bronchitis and a sore ankle..

True, Sac has no answer for TMac/Yao, but Detroit didn't have an answer for Kobe/Shaq 2 years ago, they let the dynamic duo score all the points and just shut down the rest of the team. Can Sac do that? I don't know, but I'm also not the coach..

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">Teams will buckle down on Nash and Amare, and turn Marion into a shooter (which he isn't much of)</div>

Where are you from? Are you talking about his form or his accuracy?