OT A Bum Fucked Situation

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Chris Craig, Jan 28, 2020.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Yeah, don't get me wrong, some of the electrical improvements components of today's vehicles is much better than tears gone by. For one, I'm SOOOO glad that we no longer have to deal with changing the points, plugs, and condenser every 8-10 thousand miles anymore. The points and condenser have been eliminated with electronic ignition and the newer plugs can easily last 100,000+ miles...not to mention the improvement of fuel injection over carbs.

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The next day. I pay for parking. I have the sticker. I had a right to park there. Thry violated that right. Fuck that tow company

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Tow truck drivers now take pictures of all sides of the car to document there was no damage to the car during towing and to show the reason they are towing the car. I would go to the tow company with your wife. Ask to see the car and then immediately claim they did damage to it. They will pull up the pictures to show you they didn't. When they reach the picture that shows the parking sticker have your wife immediately take a picture of it with her phone. That would prove you had that proper permit and the tow was invalid because it shows the tow driver saw the sticker.

While this is going on have your phone in your pocket recording the conversation. Once the tow company sees your wife taking the picture they will most likely kick you out but that would also help any small claims case.

4. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Many shops charge charge an hourly labor rate.

5. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

My cousin had a piece of shit Suzuki SUV with a similar problem. The starter had a mind of its own. Turned out the entire wire harness leading to the starter actually just sat loosely on the top of the frame, which led the protective sleeve over the harness to eventually rub away exposing bare wires. The wires were touching each other and/or the frame and causing the starter to either kick on randomly, or arc out and kill the car while it was running.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. yankeesince59

Hmmm, you're very a "sly dog".

RickyJoe, Chris Craig and SlyPokerDog like this.
  7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Depends on the insurance and your location. For me, USAA is my car insurance, but their towing services have always left something of a bitter taste in my mouth. Not only in the time it takes for them to arrive, but the areas that their services are contracted.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  8. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    With State Farm you have a choice of calling their 1-800 number and they dispatch the service and paid directly by State Farm, or you can call anyone you want, pay for the service and then send the bill to your agent for reimbursement.

9. CupWizier

retired
    The first step should be to determine the reason the tow was done from the apartment. If it was because it was parked backwards and the parking rules state that such cars can and may be towed then not much to fight. If it was towed because no tag was on it, then the apartment has the records to show that the parking permit was purchased and a picture of the car's tag will prove it was on. A case might be able to be made in that case but it can still be tricky. I would ask the apartment complex for the parking rules and regulations and see what is outlined in it. Also, wonder how long the car had been parked illegally (backwards) before it was towed?

10. CupWizier

retired
    Okay and trust me, I'm not taking sides as I am just trying to look at if from the law side of things. If you (or the tow company) parked it illegally and the parking rules and regulations say that cars can or may be towed for parking illegally (no tag, parked backwards, wrong space etc.). You have a tag, so if that's the reason for the tow, then you might have a case. If for being parked backwards, not sure what your recourse could be. Find out why the vehicle was towed first. It sucks to go through this but a parking tag is just one of the rules required to park in the complex. I hope it works out for you Chris.

Chris Craig and Hobbesarable like this.
  11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I'd take the tow company to small claims court after a strongly worded demand letter.

Chris Craig likes this.
  12. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

I agree with @CupWizier . First, you should review the parking portion of your rental/lease agreement you and your wife signed.

Also ask the reason for the tow from the complex and the towing company. They have to give you the reason.

TorturedBlazerFan and CupWizier like this.
  13. CupWizier

retired
    Most shops go by the book rate or now days, much of it is in the computer. If a customer comes in for a starter replacement the book rate might be 2 hours and a good mechanic might do it in 1 1/2 hour where as a bad mechanic might take 3 hours. The cost to the owner of the car is only charged 2 hours either way and the first mechanic had a good repair and the second not so much. Not sure what the split is today, but when my dad was a line mechanic for a Ford dealership it was 50/50 where the mechanic would get 50% of the charge and the dealership would get the other 50%. This way the consumer doesn't get ripped off and have to pay 3 hours labor if the mechanic wasn't very good or just slow. This way the consumer will get an estimate of 2 hours along with the going rate the shop charges. I would never higher a mechanic just strictly based on hours worked as that just opens the door for fudging the hours as often times a mechanic might be working on 2 cars at the same time as he is waiting for parts or other services that need to be sent out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  14. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I've used USAA for my insurance for many years and no complaints from me. I also have AAA paid through my job, so I am double covered I guess.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  15. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

You will sympathize with a San Francisco man. He parked his car by his apartment, was walking to the door when he was accosted, robbed and stabbed. He was in intensive care 4 days, in hospital another two weeks. His car was ticketed because it was not moved for street cleaning. As he was in the hospital, his niece went in with hospital records, police records, to show why he didn't move the car. They got a decision that he had not shown sufficient reason for failure to move the car. Kid you not.

Lanny, PtldPlatypus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The saga continues. Got a letter from the tow company today. They are going to auction off my car and charge me a $1500 auction fee unless I pay $400 plus daily fees + a tow to get it out. They said they would only allow us to sign it over to them and let it go for half the fees.

Fuck these predatory bastards. My wife and I have decided to sue and just get another car next month.

17. yankeesince59

That's BS...$1500 auction fee?

A 92 model Corolla that won't even crank won't even bring $1500 at the auction.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  18. Chris Craig

I know. It's fucking bullshit and I'm fucking pissed

19. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

If you have not already done so, you should consider contacting the attorney general at the Oregon Department of Justice Consumer Protection.

Dougnsalem and Chris Craig like this.
  20. Chris Craig

Update:

Aftee seeking legal advice I got the car out of tow and had it towed back to my parking lot. I will now sue the tow company for gross overcharging, no signature from the Manager\Owner at the time of tow for permission, intimidation, and not waiting 1 hour to tow. Their predatory bullshit will not stand. They will be paying me back 4× what they charged when I am done.