A History Lesson

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by MKIV_Supra, Jun 19, 2005.

1. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

As you all know, the Ravens are going to be in the 46 defense for the year 2005. For those who don't know what the 46 defense is, I'll explain it. In the year 1985, the Chicago Bears defense was under control of Buddy Ryan, the creator of it. Now his son, Rex Ryan, the Ravens defensive coordinator is going to walk in his footsteps. The whole basis of the 46 is to pressure the quarterback. Not all defenses can work like this, so you will need special players to excel in this formation. 5 main things must be met in order for it to be unstoppable.

Explosive Pass Rushers - Terrell Suggs, Anthony Weaver, Adulius Thomas, and the rookie Dan Cody will be the outside pass rushers. When an offense faces the 46, their blockers need to make quick reads and this frequently leaves only one offensive lineman to block the guys coming off the edge because so many defenders are coming up the middle. There aren?t very many offensive linemen in the NFL who can handle Suggs by themselves so Suggs shall have one of the best years who may lead the team in sacks in one season.

Collapse the Middle - Kelly Gregg, who I think is an adaquate player, will be the cause of the interior offensive line breaking down. Some analysts have argued that this is where the Ravens are going to struggle in the 46. They argue that the Ravens don?t have great defensive tackles like the Bears and Eagles had. Gregg is a good run-stopper who can manage 2 linemen, allowing others to run freely into the backfield. But the main thing is to create a hole for the blitzes to come in.

Spectacular Cover Corners - With all of the defenders covering the line of scrimmage, the cornerbacks are left going man-to-man coverage with the recievers. In this case, it shall be easy because the Ravens have "best set of cornerbacks" in the league today. Chris McAlister, newly acquired Samari Rolle, and nickelback Deion Sanders. All three of the Ravens? corners are good at jamming receivers at the line and fast enough to run with them down the field. How the Raven corners hold up in single coverage will go a long way in determining how much of the 46 the Ravens will use throughout the season.

Versitile Safeties - Safeties play a huge role on this defense. Buddy Ryan actually named the 46 after safety Doug Plank because of his role in the defense. It just so happens that the Ravens have the NFL Defensive Player of the Year playing free safety for them. Ed Reed is the perfect player for this kind of defense. He is the best cover safety in the NFL and a very good blitzer. While the Ravens like to keep Reed back in coverage, expect to see Ryan trying to get him free on some safety blitzes in the 46. Will Demps, who will play the role of another linebacker as he goes along with Ray Lewis with the blitz or stay in coverage for deep recievers.

A Dominant Linebacker - Ray Lewis, will play the role that Mike Singletary did. While Lewis had another stellar season in 2004, he never really fit into Mike Nolan?s 3-4 scheme. Lewis was too often tied up with offensive linemen, which limited his ability to run around and cause havoc. In the 46, other defenders will be occupying blocks, he shall do what he does best at: Lay big hits on opposing running backs. The six man front will make it more difficult for guards and fullbacks to get to Lewis. Lewis and Reed are the two players this defense will center around and the Ravens can?t ask for anything more than that. Also, expect Lewis to have more sacks than usual.

In conclusion, the Ravens are expected to have one of the better season on defense again and now the main concern is about the offense and Kyle Boller.

Note: Some words I didn't spell correctly because I was in rush of using the restroom.

2. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

I would read it buts it ways 2 long!

3. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

Very informative, and I agree with what you said, Its all on Boller's shoulders this year, their D should be great as always.

4. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

Man, it's a shame for Baltimore. If they had a half way decent QB for the last 3 years, they would be totally dominant. For the life of me, I still dont understand how they could let Trent Dilfer go after he won the Super Bowl as the starting QB. Brian Billick to me is the problem with Baltimore, they have ton of talent thanks to their GM, it's the coaching thats lacking.

5. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

Brian Billick won a super bowl his first year in as head coach. The Ravens have been competitive every year that he has been at the helm. I don't think the problem is with him.

Baltimore is a defensive team. Their money is tied up in the defense. They don't have great receivers, they have 2 stars on offense (Heap and Lewis). I agree that if they had a halfway decent offense they would be absolutely unstoppable.

6. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

I disagree. Remember that the year they won the Super Bowl, they went 5 games without scoring a TD. An offensive "genious" should be able figure out how to score a TD even with the 3rd string team over 20 quarters of play.

Also, I believe it was in his second year they won the Super Bowl. Also, the Titans where by far the best team that year. I will never forget that playoff game, the Titans held the ball for like 41 minutes of it, and they just couldnt get it done. I think if that game is played 10 more times, the Titans win 9 of them.

He has had decent offensive players, just hasnt found what to do with them. Quadry Ismail, Shannon Sharpe, Todd Heap, Jamal Lewis...not too bad

7. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

Buddy Ryan invented it, and Mike Martz added his own things to it about 5 years ago. In his scheme, they pulled out all the stops in an attempt to hold their opponents under 46 points and give themselves a chance to win.

8. MKIV_Supra

The thing I don't get is that he used to be an Offensive Coordinator for the Vikes before he signed with the Ravens as Head Coach. A great defensive team with a coach that specializes with offense shouldn't have no problem making it to the playoffs. But when they went to the Super Bowl and won it, Trent Dilfer left. So they were in search of another QB. Instead of resigning Dilfer, they spent their first round pick on Boller in 2003. And eventually, the Seahawks signed Dilfer as a back-up for Matt Hasselback.

9. vikingfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'>I disagree. Remember that the year they won the Super Bowl, they went 5 games without scoring a TD. An offensive "genious" should be able figure out how to score a TD even with the 3rd string team over 20 quarters of play.

Also, I believe it was in his second year they won the Super Bowl. Also, the Titans where by far the best team that year. I will never forget that playoff game, the Titans held the ball for like 41 minutes of it, and they just couldnt get it done. I think if that game is played 10 more times, the Titans win 9 of them.

He has had decent offensive players, just hasnt found what to do with them. Quadry Ismail, Shannon Sharpe, Todd Heap, Jamal Lewis...not too bad</div>

Shannon Sharpe did well under his system, as has Jamal Lewis. The problem with their offense is that they are not a complete offense, starting with the QB. I do think that getting rid of Dilfer was a mistake. He wasn't a flashy QB, but he got the job done without making many mistakes.

I'm not that big of a fan of Billick, but given what he has had on offense, I still think he is one of the best coaches in the league.

10. MKIV_Supra

I just had a thought, since the Ravens are going 46 this year, what a better team to test it on besides Manning and the amazing Colts offense in the first game of the regular season!

11. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Buddy Ryan invented it, and Mike Martz added his own things to it about 5 years ago. In his scheme, they pulled out all the stops in an attempt to hold their opponents under 46 points and give themselves a chance to win.</div>

It was Bud Carson under Dick Vermeil that worked with 46 on the Rams, not Martz. Martz is a offensive coordinator, and speaking of idiot coaches he fits right in there with Billick in the same conversation. Coaches with great talent and yet cant find the best way to use it.

12. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'>I disagree. Remember that the year they won the Super Bowl, they went 5 games without scoring a TD. An offensive "genious" should be able figure out how to score a TD even with the 3rd string team over 20 quarters of play.

He has had decent offensive players, just hasnt found what to do with them. Quadry Ismail, Shannon Sharpe, Todd Heap, Jamal Lewis...not too bad</div>

Shannon Sharpe did well under his system, as has Jamal Lewis. The problem with their offense is that they are not a complete offense, starting with the QB. I do think that getting rid of Dilfer was a mistake. He wasn't a flashy QB, but he got the job done without making many mistakes.

I'm not that big of a fan of Billick, but given what he has had on offense, I still think he is one of the best coaches in the league.</div>

Come on VF, if he was that good of a coach one of his QB's would have worked. I mean he had in this order...Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Elvis GrBac, Chris Redman, Jeff Blake, Anthony Wright, Kyle Boller. Now, I admit most of those QB's are not great or even good, however you would think that a great coach would be able to adapt one of the and win. Schottenheimer took the Redskins to an 8-8 record with Tony Banks as his starter (after they started 0-4 with the whole Jeff George fiasco). Elvis GrBac before Billick got his hands on him was a pro Bowler and threw for over 5000 yards for KC. Jeff Blake is not a bad QB either. I just think that Billick has not shown an ability to develop a QB, and is lucky that his defense has been as good as they have been.

13. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Buddy Ryan invented it, and Mike Martz added his own things to it about 5 years ago. In his scheme, they pulled out all the stops in an attempt to hold their opponents under 46 points and give themselves a chance to win.</div>

It was Bud Carson under Dick Vermeil that worked with 46 on the Rams, not Martz. Martz is a offensive coordinator, and speaking of idiot coaches he fits right in there with Billick in the same conversation. Coaches with great talent and yet cant find the best way to use it.</div>

It was a joke...he didn't really think Martz had anything to do with the 46

14. braves08

braves08 nfl-*****s member

The Ravens will make the playofs this year, and not in the wildcard, but by winning the division. Their new 46 defense will help to stop the run even more by freeing up the best linebacker in the game, Ray Lewis. He'll have one of his most productive seasons ever with over 175 tackles, pending he doesnt get injured, but I'm suer he won't. O ya, wut happened to the big bad Madden Curse. Ray-Ray went through it just like every offensive player that he faces on sunday! I'm out! GO BRAVES!!!

15. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats37)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Buddy Ryan invented it, and Mike Martz added his own things to it about 5 years ago. In his scheme, they pulled out all the stops in an attempt to hold their opponents under 46 points and give themselves a chance to win.</div>

It was Bud Carson under Dick Vermeil that worked with 46 on the Rams, not Martz. Martz is a offensive coordinator, and speaking of idiot coaches he fits right in there with Billick in the same conversation. Coaches with great talent and yet cant find the best way to use it.</div>

It was a joke...he didn't really think Martz had anything to do with the 46</div>

HAHAHA...I just re-read the comment. A little slow on the uptake there... [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats37)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Buddy Ryan invented it, and Mike Martz added his own things to it about 5 years ago. In his scheme, they pulled out all the stops in an attempt to hold their opponents under 46 points and give themselves a chance to win.</div>

It was a joke...he didn't really think Martz had anything to do with the 46</div>

Thanks Pats. Sometimes my jokes can be a little too subtle, I guess.

17. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (braves08)</div><div class='quotemain'>The Ravens will make the playofs this year, and not in the wildcard, but by winning the division. Their new 46 defense will help to stop the run even more by freeing up the best linebacker in the game, Ray Lewis. He'll have one of his most productive seasons ever with over 175 tackles, pending he doesnt get injured, but I'm suer he won't. O ya, wut happened to the big bad Madden Curse. Ray-Ray went through it just like every offensive player that he faces on sunday! I'm out! GO BRAVES!!!</div>

Acutally he broke his hand and had limited play in the 2nd to last game of the year which the Ravens lost keeping them out of the playoffs pal.

18. vikingfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks Pats. Sometimes my jokes can be a little too subtle, I guess.</div>

Next time I think you should preface a joke with the following intro:

<span style="color:red"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial"> -- THIS IS A JOKE - IT IS NOT REAL! --
    -- IF SUBTLE JOKES ARE LOST ON YOU READ NO FURTHER --
    -- THIS IS NOT A TEST - IT IS A JOKE --

-- ........A SUBTLE JOKE --
    </span></span></span>

Nothing like the sledgehammer approach...

19. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks Pats. Sometimes my jokes can be a little too subtle, I guess.</div>

Next time I think you should preface a joke with the following intro:

<span style="color:red"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial"> -- THIS IS A JOKE - IT IS NOT REAL! --
    -- IF SUBTLE JOKES ARE LOST ON YOU READ NO FURTHER --
    -- THIS IS NOT A TEST - IT IS A JOKE --

-- ........A SUBTLE JOKE --
    </span></span></span>

Nothing like the sledgehammer approach...</div>

I dont get it

20. MKIV_Supra

Me neither. VF, would you like to explain this?