A History Lesson

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by MKIV_Supra, Jun 19, 2005.

1. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Me neither. VF, would you like to explain this?</div>

You see, its all a play at irony. Subtle jokes are funny because they are subtle. If anyone were to announce it as subtle, all humor would be lost.

Of course in this case the joke focuses on being over-obvious. A kind of "in-your-face" approach to subtlety (are you catching the irony? Its oxymoronic as well).

I hope this clarifies things.

<span style="color:red"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">
    -- NOTE: THE ABOVE POST WAS A JOKE. IT WAS AN ATTEMPT AT SARCASM AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY --</span></span>

2. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cowboy71)</div><div class='quotemain'>Buddy Ryan invented it, and Mike Martz added his own things to it about 5 years ago. In his scheme, they pulled out all the stops in an attempt to hold their opponents under 46 points and give themselves a chance to win.</div>

It was Bud Carson under Dick Vermeil that worked with 46 on the Rams, not Martz. Martz is a offensive coordinator, and speaking of idiot coaches he fits right in there with Billick in the same conversation. Coaches with great talent and yet cant find the best way to use it.</div>

This had to be some kind of gag. Martz doing something w/ the defense was (if true) 'perplexing' @ best. To date, I was unaware that MM even knew that part of football existed.

So subtle joke is an oxymoron like legal ethics or moral majority? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Thoth

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading that this particular type of D was good against the converntional 2 back, 2 WR style offense. It was not effective against spread formations.

It would work against the Dave Wannstedt's pathetic offensive (boy is it) style but I don't recall seeing the University of Pittsburgh on the Ravens schedule. ROFLMAO.

4. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'>Elvis GrBac before Billick got his hands on him was a pro Bowler and threw for over 5000 yards for KC.</div>

How many seasons are you adding together to get Grbac's 5k?

5. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>It would work against the Dave Wannstedt's pathetic offensive (boy is it) style but I don't recall seeing the University of Pittsburgh on the Ravens schedule. ROFLMAO.</div>

Ummm...isn't any defense effective against a Dave Wannstedt offense?

6. Eagles4Life

Eagles4Life He Hate Me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eagles4Life)</div><div class='quotemain'>Elvis GrBac before Billick got his hands on him was a pro Bowler and threw for over 5000 yards for KC.</div>

How many seasons are you adding together to get Grbac's 5k?</div>

That was abvously a mistake. One one guy ever threw over 5000. They last year at KC he had 4164 yards.

Here's the last 3 years of his career
    | Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD
    | 1999 kan | 16 | 294 499 58.9 3389 6.8 22 15 | 19 10 0 |
    | 2000 kan | 15 | 326 547 59.6 4164 7.6 28 14 | 30 111 1 |
    | 2001 bal | 14 | 265 467 56.7 3033 6.5 15 18 | 21 18 1

It is abvous, that with Billick his numbers went down, and it totally crushed his confidence (we all still remember him crying on the sideline)

sidenote: I am not a big fan of Grbac, and I dont want to be here defending him. However, stats speak for themselves, and his numbers did go down in Billick's "system".

7. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>It would work against the Dave Wannstedt's pathetic offensive (boy is it) style but I don't recall seeing the University of Pittsburgh on the Ravens schedule. ROFLMAO.</div>

Ummm...isn't any defense effective against a Dave Wannstedt offense?</div>

VF, you are quite the buzzkill :x Regardless; Touche!

8. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I like the Ravens idea of a 46 defense. I think it is all on Boller's shoulder. He needs another year to develop. I wouldn't be surprised to see him really progress towards the end of the season but it might be to late for the playoffs because the AFC is so tough.

9. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

If he doesn't develop this year, he is going to be benched, otherwise; they have high expectations of him with all the things they've done in the offseason,

10. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

Yea bench him for Anthony Wright. By then your season will be shot. So why not let Boller finish it out especially if he is showing good signs.

11. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Boller and Harrington have no excuses this year, they have so many wepons and no one to throw them the ball. Harrington is on a really short leash because he has one more year of experinece over boller and has Jeff Garcia behind him, who will defiently use all those wepons.

Boller doesnt have that good of a backup, and Fassell want to see his young QB devolp into something good. I dont think he will get benched unless he throws a lot of INTS

12. hcallega

hcallega nfl-*****s member

The Ravens stunk last year. We might have gone 9-7, but really when Jamal Lewis barely gets over 1000 rushing yards and a 6th round rookie leads your team in receiving TDs, your offense is in trouble. The Defense was good, but you nead some offense to.

13. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Note: Some words I didn't spell correctly because I was in rush of using the restroom.</div>

WHAT A RUSH!!!!

[​IMG]

14. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

VF is right. Billick isn't the problem. Sure, he earned his reputation for being an offensive genious (honestly, I still find him offensive), but what is impressive is he has played to the strength of his roster and that's on the defensive side of the football. He could have been a total egotist and tried to force the Ravens to morph into a offensive powerhouse and in the process tore apart a great defense and find eventually find himself unemployed, but he's playing the hand that he's been dealt and he's got a Super Bowl ring. The TRUTH is that there are more popular coaches on this board that are still chasing a Super Bowl ring. The problem is that too many people have been playing to much Madden and think putting together a Championship team is cake. Remember, Brian Billick IS NOT the Ravens GM.

15. kcgsc

kcgsc Chiefs Enthusiast Extraordinaire

No wonder the Chiefs never answer my impressive 1000+ Madden Bowl win-resume I keep sending them.

16. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kcgsc)</div><div class='quotemain'>No wonder the Chiefs never answer my impressive 1000+ Madden Bowl win-resume I keep sending them.</div>

Why would they when they've got Dick 'crocodile tears' Vermeil prowling the sidelines? [​IMG]

17. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

whats wrong with Vermeil he is a good coach. crys a lot but a good coach

18. hcallega

yeah, just because you have a losing season or two dosent mean your a bad coach. Vermeil took a team to the super bowl and won, plus he turned a 6-10 team to 13-3. Billick is good

19. hcallega

Projected Ravens Starting Lineup
    QB-Kyle Boller
    HB-Jamal Lewis
    FB-Alan Ricard
    WR-Derrick Mason
    WR-Clarence Moore
    WR-Mark Clayton
    TE-Todd Heap
    LT-Jonathan Ogden
    LG-Edwin Mulitalo
    C-Mike Flynn
    RG-Keydrick Vincent
    RT-Orlando Brown or Ethan Brooks, 50/50 right now
    LE-Terell Suggs
    LDT-Anthony Weaver
    RDT-Kelly Gregg
    RE-Dan Cody
    LOLB-Tommy Polley
    MLB-Ray Lewis
    ROLB-Adalius Thomas
    SS-Ed Reed
    FS-Will Demps
    CB-Chris McAlister
    CB-Samari Rolle
    CB-Deion Sanders
    K-Matt Stover
    P-Dave Zastudil

20. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

Welcome to the forums hcallega! I think it's hard to believe that Dan Cody will be starting RE over Anthony Weaver. And it's a battle between Clayton, Darling, and Moore for the WR spots.