A quote on what was said in the Lillard - Allen meeting

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by kjironman1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

That leaves ~30M, which would incidentally be right around a 9-year max. Now, that means that you're about done, but still...

2. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Plus, the cap will probably go up another $8-9M or so in the next two years.

HailBlazers likes this.
  3. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Okay...starting....now!

4. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

I'm not sure I like AD at small forward next to Aminu...

5. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Yeah 30 millions for 10 Players, good luck

6. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Well, Lillard didn't take the supermax, he left a few million a year on the table.
    package in 3 playoff-chasing vets at the minimum (after we've signed everyone) and you're now at 8. Set it up so you have 2 or 3 draft picks, you're at 10 or 11. And that's if we blow every dollar of cap on Davis.

I'm not saying it's likely, and creativity with the cap isn't something I'd put on NO (though Joe Cronin seems pretty damn legit), but it's not the out-and-out disaster scenario you're implying.

7. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Well if Olshey only signs 2 year deals this summer then maybe. That is an awfully big risk on something that would never happen though. The only possible way that could be a plan is if Dame has already talked to Davis about it and Davis is interested.

Situations like this are why I'm for taking on more of the 2016 bad contracts for future picks though. If AD was possibly leaving New Orleans would likely trade him before that happens. During the 2019-20 season if we had a bunch of expiring contracts, a stockpile of picks, and some decent young players then we could just trade for him and not have to worry about cap holds and getting enough space and all that crap because we'd have his bird rights.

But just between the 4 you mentioned that is over $70 million in contracts. Add in our draft picks for the next 3 years and it would be closer to $80 million. Depending on what the cap number is in 2020 it certainly seems achievable to somehow get close in cap space for a max free agent. That's a pretty gutted team for just a chance at a free agent with our history. I could easily see guys like Davis and Connaughton signing 1-2 year deals this summer, maybe even at above market value for being willing to do so. The other two guys, Nurk and Napier, I have a hard time seeing them signing two year deals. Maybe if the market plays out poorly for them and they want to take risks on themselves. I'll definitely think more about this strategy if this summer no more contracts via signings or trades are for longer than 2 years.

BonesJones likes this.
  8. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's an accurate assessment. Currently, the NBA is projecting that the cap will increase by $1M or so for the '18-'19 season.
    There may be another jump, but I'd expect it to be relatively flat for the next 2-3 years.

Orion Bailey and BonesJones like this.
  9. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Yeah, it's certainly doable. I think you're missing the 1st round picks between now and then though.

$70 million Dame/CJ/Collins/Swanigan
    $15 million for Nurk
    ~$10 million for 1st round picks in 2018/2019/2020
    That is $95 million with 4 cap holds for roster spots which we'll just estimate at $1.25 million each which is another $5 million.
    So $100 million with lets say a projected cap of $115 million, not enough for AD.

Remove Nurk and it doesn't really change the hold situation much and we'd have nearly $30 million to sign AD. Round out the roster with vet min guys or 2nd round picks or young guys. It COULD happen, although there are way too many variables. That is why I like the idea of signing Nurk to a two year deal that way if it didn't work out with AD we would still have his bird rights and could just keep him (if he is developed at that point).

10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    They are estimating $101 million next year and $108 million the year after the last I saw.

11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    It depends on whether the players and owners can agree on a figure for Basketball Related Income. Here’s the formula:

“The salary cap is calculated based on projected amounts for Basketball Related Income (BRI) and benefits for the upcoming season. The projected BRI is a matter of negotiation between the league and players association. Each year the sides meet to try to agree on an amount. If they cannot agree by the end of the previous season (June 30), they instead use:

• The set amount for national broadcast rights (which is determined in advance), plus
    • The BRI for the previous season (other than national broadcast rights), increased by 4.5%.”
    If they use the default formula built into the CBA, it would end up increasing the cap by around $9M. Of course, there are penalties if the actual BRI is lower, so the players are going to be somewhat reasonable.

12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    :cheers:

kjironman1 and SportsAndWhine like this.
  13. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

No bro. 5-6 years ago was a completely different team. Changes happened that were completely out of Neils and Pauls control. You simply could not offer LMA more money than they did. They could not have kept Mathews from getting hurt. Totally disagree.

14. kjironman1

That is just toooo funny.

BrianFromWA and SportsAndWhine like this.
  15. kjironman1

Something tells me they will exceed expectations being they were short last year. But i have nothing other than a gut feeling on that.

16. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired

No ignorance in my post, just reality. This team has not been together for 5-6 years so not sure why you brought that in. This team was put together the year after Aldridge left and yes, trading Noah was the first step in getting in a better position for future dealings.

17. kjironman1

This can go rounds here cup. he simply does not want to look at the facts here. Trying to say they are in the 6th year of a rebuild is crazy talk. Just sayin.

18. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I never said anything about a rebuild. I'm just pointing out that every choice made has repercussions.

NO has had several years to improve the team. Portland is in their current situation entirely because of those prior decisions.

Strenuus likes this.
  19. CupWizier

retired
    Reports have come out about how well the league has been doing in TV ratings so that helps feed the BRI and possible increase the cap numbers.
    and he has had to rebuild this team twice. The first year he got here and also the year after Aldridge left and still managed to keep the team competitive and in the playoffs. Not every decision will be perfect. and looking at the salaries of all the teams almost all playoff teams are $110 mil and higher which is right in there with where Portland is at. Currently Portland is 10th in salary and 12th in over all standings.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. CupWizier

retired
    Yeah, I hear you. We all want a championship and that takes some luck along the way and some patience. The constant bashing of coaches, GM's and even players just gets old.