A quote on what was said in the Lillard - Allen meeting

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by kjironman1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    somehow you got off my ignore list. See ya props. Off to cyberspace you go. :beatinto:

2. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    where did signing meyers and evan turner fit into the Rome process?

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

nero.jpg

kjironman1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  4. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee

tykendo and riverman like this.
  5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

This is what you said exactly "(The "Process" has been going on for 5-6 years. The Noah trade is not a first step... it's well down the line.
    Half a step forward, two steps back, one step forward... and so on.)"
    This implies that the "Process" has not changed and that every decision he has made has been part of his plan. That is simply not true. If Neil Olshey continues to put a team together and god forbid Lillard goes through a horrendous injury or even Nurkic/CJ would that be Olshey's fault? If he decides to give Lillard another max contract to keep him here but Dame decides to go to Golden State (His home by the way) is that on Olshey? These are things Neil has dealt with just in the last 3 years. And by the way please don't try to bring up Rolo or even Batum. Those players were not building blocks. More than 60% of the fan base wanted Nic Batum and his inconsistency gone.

Denny Crane and Orion Bailey like this.
  6. kjironman1

I guess i got to ask. If CJ ruptures his Achiles Tendon next year do they still pay him max?
    How about Nurkic? How much is he worth in contract negotiations if there is a question that he ever plays the same?

7. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

They are already paying him the max.

8. CupWizier

retired
    You understand that "Rome wasn't built in a day" is a figure of speech don't you? Look up the definition as it might help you better understand. :bgrin:

9. kjironman1

CJ will be up for his next contract. So do they pay him or not? That is why i said "Next Year".
    Then i asked about Nurkic this year.

10. BlayZa

Media/Advertisng
    sorry, didnt realise common sayings somehow became excuses for shit tier signings.

the questions still stands. where do meyers and ET fit into the 'good things take time' concept?

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I don't miss Batum at all. I was done with him after that Memphis series.

Denny Crane, riverman and kjironman1 like this.
  12. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    CJ is under contract through the 2021 season.

BonesJones likes this.
  13. kjironman1

I stand corrected. Still not the point. It's a very clear statement. If in the season of 2019-20 he goes down with a achiles tendon rupture do they pay him? Why is it that people stick to little side points.
    This conversation is about Olshey rebuilding over 6 years or 3? LMA left. He could not change that. Mathews went down. He could not change that.
    If Lillard and CJ leave and go down to injury this team will most certainly have to adjust. It would be the third rebuild in what would be considered 9 years. People on this board and others would be sitting here saying "9 years and no championship? FIRE OLSHEY!" When that shit ain't on him. Who gives a flying rats ass about when the contract comes up. If he or Nurk or Lillard go through devastating injury there will have to be changes made. If Lillard decides he wants to go play in his home town and try and get a ring? Who can stop him? Obviously not Olshey as was painfully clear when LMA left.

14. CupWizier

retired
    wow, you are really hung up on a simple figure of speech.

15. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

riverman likes this.
  16. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    The glaring conflict from the meeting (at least to me) in retrospect. The Dame/Allen dialog basically amounts too "What do we have to do to get some changes around here?" While Neil keeps saying to everyone that will hear, "We have a backcourt that 27 other teams would die to have. We don't have to make any changes!" Not saying the two parties are at odds with each other. But it is obvious Dame expects the team to get better within a certain time frame.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm still not convinced Dame asked Paul to bring in a star as much as he asked Paul not to trade Ed Davis......he said he voiced frustration at losing Will Barton...guys he clicked with that were traded...he said the same with Mo Williams before and Dorell Wright....guys he bonded with. I know he wants Ed Davis around the locker room and setting screens for him.

Denny Crane and PtldPlatypus like this.
  18. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I know they probably covered Davis & future plans, however, I think the real discussion was that Dame and Paul both know that of this team doesn't finish strong and make the playoffs in decent fashion, something significant will happen as the most of the conference is getting stronger. Im thinking (guessing) Dame wanted Paul to know that's how he views it and it would be necessary to probably trade one of him or CJ in order to regroup for year. They basically were bench marking their team against other and their trajectory as compared to others in that 3-12 spot.

19. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    But Dame is the one who at the trade deadline the previous two years has asked that the team not make any trades. He likely did the same this year with Ed Davis even though trading him might have been better for the Blazers long term if he isn't re-signed.

Free agency has pretty much become the players responsibility if you want big stars. Dame and CJ couldn't even convince Melo to come here. Meanwhile, Draymond Green gets Kevin Durant to come to a 73 win team and James Harden gets Chris Paul to come to a good Houston team. I'm not trying to let Olshey completely off the hook but he did at least try to bring in talent this off-season.

20. BlayZa

Media/Advertisng
    considering you're the one using it and are incapable of explaining its use in context to the ET and Meyers signings, the only hangup seems to be you and your justification for using it in the first place.

unless, of course, you don't believe they were good signings, are now basically un-tradable, and subsequently hold next to no benefit to the franchise, then i have no clue why you'd drop a 'trust the process' vibe, when it's fairly obvious the process is very commonly flawed.

tbh i dont trust this process, wtf would anyone?

happy to listen to the trust rationale if you can provide any