A trade I suggested in another forum

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer4ever, Aug 29, 2016.

1. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Turner will play both SG & SF. His stats from last year show he was slightly better (1.3 pnts/48mins) at the SG position.
    upload_2016-8-31_12-10-59.png

illmatic99 likes this.
  2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I thought I was wrong once, too. But I was mistaken.

Blazer4ever and Orion Bailey like this.
  3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Turner will start at the 3. Crabbe will back up both the 2 and 3. I woundn't really call Turner a backup PG. He'll be more of a point forward when Dame or C.J. goes to the bench. This will be similar to the role Batum used to play with the second unit. The difference is Turner will always (or at least almost always) have one of Dame or C.J. on the floor with him to bring the ball up the court if the other team is pressing full court. But once in the half court, the offense can be run through Turner, allowing Dame or C.J. (whichever is in the game) to play off the ball.

With so many versatile players, traditional positions become blurry. Yes, Dame will be our starting PG, C.J. our starting SG and Turner our starting SF, but when one of those guys goes to the bench the roles of the remaining two will likely change. Draymond Green is not a PG, but when GSW goes small, the offense runs through him allowing Curry to play off the ball and focus more on his own scoring than creating for others. Turner will not be a small ball center or even a small ball PF, nor will he be the guy bring the ball up the court against pressure, but he will be the guy, regardless of what position he is playing, initiating the offense and creating for others when one of Lillard or McCollum is on the bench.

That's on offense. Again with so many versatile players capable of playing multiple positions, the defensive assignments may not match the position they are playing on offense. For example, when both Turner and Crabbe are in the game, Crabbe will play the SG role on offense, but likely guard the other teams SF at the other end. With this versatile roster and today's NBA, pigeonholing players into traditional roles no longer makes sense.

BNM

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. Boob-No-More

I'm not sure if that really says Turner is "better" playing SG than SF. I think it just reflects the overall weakness of the SG position in today's NBA. At SF, you get matched up against the LeBron Jameses and Kevin Durants of the world. So, that's going to negatively impact your net48 while playing that position.

But, because C.J. is our starting SG, Turner will start at SF. When C.J. or Dame go to the bench, things start to get fuzzy with respect to positions. As I said in my previous post, it becomes more about roles and responsibilities than about positions, per se.

BNM

5. Boob-No-More

Yeah, really. Sorry dude, that was seriously one of the worst trade proposals I have ever seen in this, or any, forum. It wasn't remotely feasible under the CBA and we ended up giving up two players better, and on longer term contracts, than the one we'd get back. In order to get the salaries to match, we'd have to take back more players, invalidating your stated goal of consolidation. It was just a poorly conceived trade on every possible level.

And, as I said, Turner's real role, with the second unit, will be point forward. He will have one of Dame and C.J. on the court with him to bring the ball up the court if the other team is pressing, but once the press is broken, the offense will run through Turner. Turner may not have the world's greatest handles, but he's at least as good, probably better, than Batum. His AST/TOV ratio has been >2 while in BOS - better than Batum's both in POR and CHO. The difference is Turner will have one of Dame or C.J. to help bring the ball up the court. Nic, especially in his last year in POR, often found himself paired with the likes of Wes Matthews/Aaron Affalo or Alan Crabbe to "help" with ball handling duties when Dame was on the bench. When it comes to ball handling all of those guys suck, limited to one, maybe two dribbles tops. With C.J.'s emergence last year, Turner won't have to be the Lone Ranger regarding ball handling duties when Dame sits. And when C.J. sits, Dame will come back into the game. It really is an ideal situation. He will get to maximize his strengths while his weaknesses can be covered by his teammates.

BNM

6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Where did I suggest he'll play SG? And even then positions are interchangeable and irrelevant with the players we have. If a lineup of Lillard/Turner/Crabbe takes the court does it really matter which one of Turner or Crabbe is labeled as the 3?

7. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I'd do that trade in a hot second.

Blazer4ever and riverman like this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

which trade?

9. MickZagger

UPS
    For the Klynyk Olynyk.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My Meyers idea or the other one? I'd trade Meyers in a heartbeat for Olynyk

11. MickZagger

UPS
    All day errrryday, FAMS.

I'm ready for the season to start so I can have things to post about with all you poindexter's.

riverman likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

So Plumlee for Sabo jr.?

13. MickZagger

UPS
    Chris Sabo has a son?

[​IMG]

Orion Bailey and riverman like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'll take a stab at it without Googling it..Dominatus Sabonis?

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That really sounds like a character from Asterix the Gaul

16. MickZagger

UPS
    I'd do Plums for Sabas.

riverman likes this.