A year later - no improvement

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Nate Dogg, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    I did some homework. With the recent 3-0 loss to Colorado again on 6/30/12 I compared the team to last years record during the same time period.

2011 5-7-3
    2012 4-7-4

Last year we had the Kenny Cooper slump which Spencer and him didn't have trust or faith with each other. Its ironic that Cooper has 11 goals so far with the New York Red Bulls. The New York Bulls are currently in second place with a 9-4-4 record.

Spencer and his staff strengthened the Timber defense this year but the offense is the one thats still stagnant. We signed another high paying salary player of Mr. Boyd 1 million plus, but he is failing worse than Cooper who had a salary of $267,000 back in 2011.

I see this 2012 season as another dud and Spencer and the management need to figure out a new system. If nothing dramatically improves Spencer will be the one whose gone next. Because its obvious these high pay players aren't doing justice with Spencer's coaches mindsceam or system.

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

Spencer has def shown some flaws but IMO GW needs to go before him, he is the one who has put this squad together, and the Defense is much improved, we have a ton of good forwards, but we cannot create down the center of the pitch. We need a playmaking CM like a Javier Morales, or Marco Flores, anything to get us that link up play from the back to the front.

Boyd to me is doing incredibly well for how little service he gets.. Our midfield has been absolutely dreadful this year, and how he has 5 goals is beyond me. Put Boyd in NY with their mids and a striker like Henry to take attention off, and Boyd would have even more goals than Cooper

3. Wheels

Also remember when comparing last years record, to this years... last year was a balanced schedule where the top heavy East (NYRB DCU SKC this year) had to play tough western opponents just as much as other teams, and didnt get to feast on lower level Eastern Opponents as much. I'd much rather play Toronto, Montreal, and Philadelphia 3 times a year than RSL, LA, Seattle, Vancouver, all teams that PTFC is playing 3 times this year.

4. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    Well GW was the coach of the Timbers before. Does he and Spencer have different mindsets of team formations or sets? So when the squad was formed for 2012 did the two of them work out these set formations? I also feel the assistant coaches have something to do with this too. Anyways, Seattle and Vancouver have had much success with their squads and their records are better so something has to be sturred up for 2013.

Unless the Timbers play their heart out against San Jose (who just beat LA after being down 3-1 at half time). SJ 4 - LA 3. I see Tuesday as an ugly game.

Prediction San Jose 2 Timbers 0.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  5. Wheels

I'm not sure on their mindset differences. Although I do remember GW in the USL era liked to build his teams from the back forward since he was a Defender in his playing days... Seattle and Vancouver's records are nice but aside from the US Open Cup (which Seattle has played a whopping 2 or 3 road games on during their run.. they have nothing to show for it in MLS other than Playoff appearances (Seattle) MP has stated numerous times they want to build the RSL way, and RSL was even worse off than we were the first 3 years in MLS.

That said around the 3rd year is when they replaced their coach with their current one Kreis, so maybe we follow true to that model and fire Spencer and GW next year or after :P

6. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    Be ready for the Timber army to be hushed by the Quakes first goal. I will be at the game, and give a recap later.

7. Wheels

:devilwink: [​IMG]

8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

9. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    We played great yesterday! Awesome game to be at!