Accept Miami Deal or bring Lillard to Camp?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, Sep 14, 2023.

?

Assuming the Miami trade is the best offer; would you agree to this Miami trade or bring Dame back?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2023.
  1. I would agree to the Miami trade

23.0%
  2. I would bring Dame back to training camp

77.0%
  1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

New ESPN insider article today with four trades but seems to say only the Miami deal makes sense;

Miami Heat get: Damian Lillard, Jusuf Nurkic

Portland Trail Blazers get: Tyler Herro, Kyle Lowry, Jaime Jaquez Jr., Nikola Jovic, first-round picks in 2027 and 2029, first-round swap rights in 2028 and 2030.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...ia-76ers-toronto-raptors-new-orleans-pelicans

Some might say the Miami pick is not fully un-encumbered in 2027. True; however I'd assume the wording of the picks would be such that the Blazers would instead get the 2028 2030 picks and 2027 2029 swaps in that case.

Assuming this Miami trade is the best available would you agree to it or have Lillard come back to camp?

2. SharpesTriumph

Other ideas were 3 way with Philly/Clippers where Blazers get Maxey and two picks, Harden goes to LA.
    Dame for Zion.
    Dame for OG pieces and picks (or possibly Barnes instead)

But they say none of those 3 teams are likely and those deals don't make sense.

3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Fuck Marks, first of all. I don't know if it would take the 2024 first and Martin for me to pull the trigger but one of them would have to be included in the trade and I disagree with Marks about Herro; either we would need to or Miami would need to find a third team because bringing back Herro and Lowry makes no fucking sense.

So no I wouldn't pull the trigger on what Tim Bontemps proposes, I'd rather bring Dame to camp or tell him to sit at home. If there were a third team that gave up an unprotected first and expirings for Herro and if the Heat included their 2024 first by reaching an agreement with OKC to free it up, I would pull the trigger and move on with 4 unprotected firsts, swaps (which I could take or leave) Jaquez, Jovic and expiring contracts including a high character champion vet in Lowry to mentor our young guards.

4. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

This was also an article that made it painfully obvious why Bobby Marks is no longer a GM. Like he is really clueless. In addition to what is included in the OP, he also stated the following.

And Bontemps made no mention of Simons in his reasoning for what it's worth either. Simons and Herro immediately lose value in any trade in which at least one of them isn't immediately rerouted. We simply don't have the room nuture four guards with star aspirations.

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I hate that it's come down to this, but yeah, I think I'd take it.

Not particularly interested in Herro, but at this point I'm pretty fully convinced that the rest of the league is unwilling to offer anything of substance for him because they believe they'd be facilitating Miami's improvement. If Portland were able to get a decent return for Herro, then we'd be in decent shape for our rebuild

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

So why are we including Nurk when we can basically get the same assets without including him? Yes we get rid of his contract......but we have no other center and his contract is not that bad.

7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Why not both?
    Bring Lillard to camp.
    When Miami starts to figure they need to up the offer they can start talking again.
    Take a better deal.

8. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Completely agree, and I think I'm one of the more reasonable ones in terms of what I would accept for Dame. Miami will probably really want to keep Martin, so I would pretty much DEMAND that 2024 1st with the package. 3 unprotected 1sts, and a decent likelihood that 2027 and 2029 could be a bad year for them once that core ages.

BIG Q and blazerkor like this.
  9. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Because Nurk is a cancer and needs to go. Getting rid of him is addition by subtraction.

BIG Q and blazerkor like this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Herro makes way more money than Ant and they are basically the same except Ant has a much longer wingspan..they should trade us a rookie and Herro for Ant and Keon and call it a day.
    If they want Dame I want either Bam or Jimmy in return. Done fucking around with the scraps Riley thinks his fistfull of rings will entice superstars but Portland cannot get fucked in a Dame deal period.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I wouldn't trade Nurk in that deal. We need a bona fide 7 ft guy like Nurk for matchups in my view. To me Nurk isn't a cancer...he's just emo. I only trade Nurk if Bam is coming back to us in the deal. You have to replace him with a big if you trade him

42N8Bounce and Mote like this.
  12. Pinwheel1

Nurk being a cancer is kind of a guess at this point. I am all for trading him, but we need a big back.

13. PtldPlatypus

We can't get the 4 assets listed for Dame alone, so someone else would have to be included. Keon's not enough, though Nas could be. Between Nas and Nurk, I'm guessing you'd get a split opinion on who would be preferable to keep.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

With our lineup you keep Nurk in my view...we have lots of wings and guards as it stands.

15. Pinwheel1

I was thinking more along the lines that we take Lowry out of the equation....and Miami adds a player who makes less.

16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I wonder how much it hurts Marks to have Pat Riley shove his hand up Marks’ ass and use him like a sock puppet. No better deals out there? Then fine, keep Dame and look for a trade at the deadline to try to add a quality player and satisfy Dame’s desire to compete for a title as a Blazer. How is taking Miami’s scraps and late picks going to help with rebuilding a competitive roster?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  17. PtldPlatypus

And I completely understand that opinion. I also think it's likely that our front office would be more interested in offloading the larger contract to remain near the tax line.

riverman and blazerkor like this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

Unfortunately, the only contract that works for that purpose is Robinson's. I'd much rather have 1 year of Lowry than 3 years of Nurk and Robinson.

STOMP, blazerkor and SharpesTriumph like this.
  19. SharpesTriumph

Miami doesn't have any other contracts except Robinson who's contract really sucks for multiple years. I'd rather have Lowry expiring.

blazerkor likes this.
  20. SharpesTriumph

Yeah I don't understand this "no better deals" "Miami doesn't want to bid against themselves" "Dame is owed x dollars" arguments we keep hearing over and over.

If there are no good deals then just keep Dame here. Dude had his best season ever and is a top75 player. Great shooters age very well. Durant is 35 and nobody questioned giving up a haul for him.

Yeah if a team gives us a very nice package then trade Dame it makes sense with us rebuilding.

If not then who cares if there are "no better deals". Just run with this silly 4 guard lineup and score 145 ppg. Yeah its not going to lead to titles but it will be entertaining. If it doesn't work who cares, we get more draft picks. Scoot prime isn't going to be a long time from now.

STOMP, PCmor7, BankTeller and 5 others like this.